Author Topic: The Sathanas fleet?  (Read 19235 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
@Carl

The light from them dies out. Not the superheated ionized gas and super-high radiation levels.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by aldo_14
Maybe that's exactly the effect they wanted.  Who knows what could happen if you are in subspace when a massive gravity shift occurs?

Nodewar 2 had something like that happen towards the end.

It was quite climactic and scary.

(hopes someone has archived NW2-Endgame, so people can read about the two Lucifers getting blown up in the Tau Ceti node while wrestling with the Gravity-Shield-equipped Havok)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I actually find Petrarch's theory quite elegant  and highly probable.  The fact that it's mentioned in the ending cutscene adds some credibility to the opinion that that's what [V] had planned.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The wierd part is that the capella supernova doesn't leave anything... from the cutscene it doesn't seem like any neutron star, black hole, etc, etc, etc, have been formed...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If the Shivans were running from a mightier enemy then they could use allies. Why would they be so bent on blasting the GTVA apart then?
and it they were exiles trying to reach their home, the same question again - why blast everything intelligent they meet?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline magatsu1

maybe it's not in their nature.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I ignored the Shivan Manifesto as soon as I read "energy beeings"...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Oh, how could I forget.  The 'dumbest thing ever', right? :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I dunno. Sci-fi staple, but I'm not quite sure how a collection of energy could achieve, let alone sustain, sentience...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, there are such things as hyperintelligent shades of the color blue, you know :p.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TrashMan
If the Shivans were running from a mightier enemy then they could use allies. Why would they be so bent on blasting the GTVA apart then?
and it they were exiles trying to reach their home, the same question again - why blast everything intelligent they meet?

Because they're evil.  Pure, simple, plain evil.

I don't think there's anything more eerie & ever terrifying than hate without a pretence.

It´s curious that i just started writing a story that uses the Sathanii fleet´s destruction of the Capella star, to shift subspace into opening the way back to Earth...
It´s only in the initial stages, started writting yesterday, but you can read about it on my site. Read the Storyline page aswell.

http://www.geocities.com/thethirdworldwar/homeworlds_main.html

:cool:
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

While the 'nicking of into Greenland' theory is mere conjecture, everything else (by which I mean the 'Sh1v4ns aer t3h bada55es' theory) doesn't make sense.  Killing stars isn't a regular Shivan thing, since they didn't pop GD.  Deeper through the Knossos network also was not destroyed.  The 'kill everyone' reason is stupid because Lucy killed Vasuda Prime by herself, and one Sath killed Colin.  So whats stopping 50 Saths from kill THE ENTIRE ****ING GTVA IN A WEEK again?

Since they had freaky subspace stuff at the star, they used a new type of subspace portal to do something to the star, and many of them left through normal looking portals, it seems likely that Petrachs theory was based on sensor logs from Capella.  I agree with him that some subspace tricky was afoot, because that had been signposted much earlier, and killing stars for fun can be eliminated as a possibility.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I have no problem with any of that Pnakotus, I just have one question.

Who the hell is Colin and why was he killed by a Sath?  I've played the entire campaign through several times and have never seen anyone named Colin. ;)
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by aldo_14

Because they're evil.  Pure, simple, plain evil.

I don't think there's anything more eerie & ever terrifying than hate without a pretence.

I'd rather they be the abstract "cosmic destroyers" than come up with some silly rational explanation for why they do what thet do. :nod:
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Pnakotus
While the 'nicking of into Greenland' theory is mere conjecture, everything else (by which I mean the 'Sh1v4ns aer t3h bada55es' theory) doesn't make sense.  Killing stars isn't a regular Shivan thing, since they didn't pop GD.  Deeper through the Knossos network also was not destroyed.  The 'kill everyone' reason is stupid because Lucy killed Vasuda Prime by herself, and one Sath killed Colin.  So whats stopping 50 Saths from kill THE ENTIRE ****ING GTVA IN A WEEK again?

They couldn't be bothered.  If they're evil, then why look for a rational reason?

Or, maybe they intended to supernova every GTVA star, but couldn't thanks to the Nereid destroying the node from the Vega side.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
[q]As said By Stryke9 so long ago, but so hillariously as well:
Nah, I think this proves my theory that the Sathani are Shivan trailer homes. See, they really just wanted to make friends with the Terrans this whole time, but due to an unfortunate culture gap and some preliminary spy reports collected durign the Terran-Vasudan war, the Shivans figured our primary method of communication involved focusing high-density plasma charges into each other. Thus, Lucifer scout fleet showed up and transmitted the message "We come in peace", wiping out all nearby. Hurt and confused at the Terrans' and Vasudans' panicked flight, they followed the GTA fleet to Vasuda Prime. Knowing an important populated planet when they saw one, what subsequently ensued was the equivalent of thousands of years of Shivan history, science, and literature broken up into several easy-to-understand blasts... Thirty years later, the Shivans spot Terrans in their nebula. Curious as to what happened to their peace delegation, they accost the first fleet they see and bombard them with questions. The Terrans return fire, and, overjoyed that contact has finally been made, the Shivans mobilize their colony ships, ordering them to set up a permanent base around the nearest Terran star where Shivans and Terrans (and Vasudans, who the Shivans assumed were just more Terrans) could trade, communicate, and live in harmony. Up to the death of the Colossus, the Shivans maintained their good intentions, though they had to admit that maintaining good relations with the Terrans seemed to be getting an awful lot of them killed. It was only when the Terrans sealed off the first Capella jump node that the Shivans guessed that something was amiss. Slowly the idea formed that maybe we WEREN'T friendly, after all. Hurt by this possible breach of trust, the Shivans sent out one last delegate, headed on what they last knew as a route to the Sol system and the capitol of Terran government, housed in a Cain class executive transport. When diplomatic talks opened up prematurely and destroyed the Cain and the diplomat before a meeting, let alone consensus, could be achieved. Shocked and disgusted by the treachery of the Terrans, the Sathanas fleet blew up the Capella star in the universal signal for "farewell", which they hoped would eventually reach the remaining Terrans in other systems, and returned home, never to be seen by Terrans again.[/q]
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Umm....ham? :nervous:

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Pnakotus

Originally posted by Antares in The Shivan Manifesto
Throughout their incursion, the Shivans gained very little ground against the GTVA. The furthest-encroaching Shivan vessel was the original Sathanas, and it was destroyed in Capella--merely one jump from Gamma Draconis--by the GTVA Colossus. It is likely that the Shivans, in all their destructive fury, had never previously lost a vessel of that magnitude to an enemy. Since they were never able to advance any further than Capella (with the exception of a Shivan force that attacked the Vega-Capella node in the endgame), the Shivans could not know for certain just how many Colossus-class vessels the GTVA had in their ranks. For all they knew, a fleet of the mammoth vessels could have been waiting deep within GTVA territory, waiting to spring a trap on the advancing Shivan fleet. Faced with such uncertain opposition, the Shivans took the only course of action open to them:

They ran away. The Shivans were not attacking the GTVA, but retreating from it.[/b]

Makes sense to me
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 12:06:51 pm by 1934 »
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"