Author Topic: The Sathanas fleet?  (Read 19231 times)

Offline Zarax

Ever tried doing it in FRED?
Unless you sexp the AI the rear LRED will hurt really bad before you kill the sath...
I'd better place a meson bomb on the node entrance with a lot of fighters around to protect it...
Once the sath jumps you detonate the bomb and then call bombers to finish the work...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Just park a Leviathan hulk with a pair or so of meson bombs stuffed inside in the node. The Leviathan hull punches a hole in the hull plating so the meson bombs' full force gets into the Sathanas' innards.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It takes 2 Mesons to take out a Sath.

But I agree that putting 10 destroyers and a score of corvettes  behind the node is the best was to do it.

Due to it's size, only one Sath can use the node at once. Before the next one can jump in, the first one needs to get some distance, or it will get rammed. It can't turn and fire on the fleet for the same reason (and it wouldn't live to turn anyway.)

Actually, the best way would be for the whole fleet to concetrate on the engines. If they do not destroy the Sath with the first salvo, they will disable it nad block the node for the second one that enters....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Remember that the Meson bomb was experimental. The GTVA probably had barely enough to fill the hulls of the two Orions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
And also remember that a fleet behind a node wouldn't be too effective, since the sath takes a full 3.5k to come to a stop... Also remember that something in the node when it arrives will have adverse effects, since something would be trying to occupy the space something else has... Possibly the effect of rendering the meson useless...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
most beams have a range from 4000-6000m it would suffice.

and they don't have to be directly behing, they can be above, below, to the left and to the right.
Once it jumps in and moves 3.5k away, they can shoot it in the behind.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Do jump nodes have a fixed vector in which ships come out?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Basicly yes...they are like tunnles, having two ends.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
Remember that the Meson bomb was experimental. The GTVA probably had barely enough to fill the hulls of the two Orions.

And if you think about the size of the thing, surely they didn't need a lot to fill the Orions?  

Actually, someone screengrab the relevant ani and count, I'm sure it shows the actual bombs.

screw meson bombs, use nukes they seem in real life more powerful (50 km diameter adverage) or instead around 2000 bombers, they would rip the sath fleet to shreads.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
nukes in space = no good

What makes nukes powerful is their effect inside the atmosphere, creating a powerful shockwave, yada yada yada...

...and I doubt the entire GTVA military forces possessed 2000 bombers...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by GoulMeister
screw meson bombs, use nukes they seem in real life more powerful (50 km diameter adverage) or instead around 2000 bombers, they would rip the sath fleet to shreads.

Nope. FS2 ships laugh at standard nukes. The topic has been done to death so just do a search if you want but to give you an idea how wrong that statement was the Harbinger is a Fusion bomb surrounded by 3 salted fission bombs and has a yield of 5000Mt (much stronger than the biggest fusion bombs ever made)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by GoulMeister
instead around 2000 bombers, they would rip the sath fleet to shreads.

The shivans have more bombers fighters than the GTVA. WAAAAY more.

Also, for you guys suggesting the Fleet ambushing a sathanas tactic, I'll break it down:

BGreens and BVas type beams have an effective range of 4000m. These are the standard heavy weapons of all GTVA destroyers.

The BFReds have an effective range of 7200. Head on, a single Sathanas could absolutely obliterate any Battlegroup the GTVA could muster before they could even return fire. And if it warped in the fleet behind it? A destroyer couldn't successfully give chase to a Juggernaut, and Cvs and Cruisers would get blown apart by the rear LRed.

Also, I find it really hard to believe that some of you guys can think that after one full scale war against the GTVA, the shivans would know absolutely **** about they're capabilities. What are the odds, I ask you, that (if they knew nothing about the GTA or PVN) they would immediately target and attempt to bombard the two homewords of the Terrans and Vasudans? That suggests, at the very LEAST, that they know most of the extent of the GTA/PVN empires.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah, the Harpoon has something like a 50kt warhead.  Nukes are only any good when there's an atmosphere to propogate their heat dispersion in a violent manner.

As for the shivans attempting to bombard the homeworlds of both races in FS1, if you'll recall it took the Shivans some time to figure out exactly which planet was the Terran homeworld.  They were in Delta Serpentis for at least 2-3 missions before they started making their way toward earth.  And FS1 era T-V ships were not very good at slowing the Shivan advance to buy the homeworlds any time.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 06:50:11 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

2-3 missions doesn't seem like a long time. Why didn't they just reduce every singel Terran/Vasudan planet they came across into a smoldering ball of fire, if they had no previous knowledge of their targets? Or, a better question, how did they find out about the location of Earth and Vasuda Prime, if they knew so little about us?

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War

AHTW

*SLAP*

I did. Check again.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
2-3 missions doesn't seem like a long time. Why didn't they just reduce every singel Terran/Vasudan planet they came across into a smoldering ball of fire, if they had no previous knowledge of their targets? Or, a better question, how did they find out about the location of Earth and Vasuda Prime, if they knew so little about us?

It was the span weeks from vasuda prime to Sol, so they didn't know where to go, but figured it out based on where we retreated to...

AHTW

Ah, I thought you were referring to the beamdata, since you posted the beam stats. My mistake :)

Yet still, the terrans didn't only retreat to Earth, IIRC. Why not follow them to all the other systems they resided in, assuming they were the homeworlds?

Also, I find it difficult to believe that no word was sent to the rest of the shivans. You don't just send an armada out to the middle of nowhere, and not keep in touch to a degree, at least.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
well, they had thought they were unstoppable, since the ancients didn't have enough time to utilise the technology to destroy the lucifer... The shivans probably knew of their weakness, but underestimated the threat... Something that they didn't let happen again in FS2...

AHTW