Author Topic: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?  (Read 20427 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:30:17 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No one knows.

They wer alot more fearsome in FS1, though. Those cbanims of hundreds of scorpions leaving the Lucy... :shaking:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
Originally posted by High Max
I wonder how widespread the Shivans are. Who knows how many systems they occupy compared to the GTVA and how large there ships may get. How many different classes of bombers, fighters and other warships do they have? How old there ships are and how long the Shivans have been in existence.

Absolutly no information on this one way or the other. :D The only cannon info that is at all related is that the Ancients encountered a race that may or may not have been the Shivans 8000 years ago (but most likely was).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
We have to assume that they occupy at least as much space as the Ancients at their peak, probably considerably more.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Re: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
Originally posted by High Max
I wonder how widespread the Shivans are. Who knows how many systems they occupy compared to the GTVA

Shivans don't occupy systems.

How many different classes of bombers, fighters and other warships do they have? How old there ships are and how long the Shivans have been in existence.

More than you could probably ever see in your life. Age and time are irrelevant.

The alliance may have sealed off the Shivans but if the Shivans are truly the masters of subspace, then the GTVA would never be able to perminently be safe from the Shivans (They could just create a jump gate at anytime).  

The GTVA never will be safe from the Shivans as in "out of their reach".

Also, it says in FS2 that maybe in decades, we will be able to restore contact with Earth and open weak and unstable jump nodes that lead to other parts of the galaxy. Maybe this is were the Shivans would meet up with the GTVA once again.

Unlikely. But the completion of the gate will be prevented, before mankind can sign its own doom.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

The shivans can't build jump gates....the Ancients do...........and shivan do not assimilate other civilization's technologies..........and they do not research new thechnologies.......

The shivans are god-like.............so superior that the fighting with us is like a game for them...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 06:12:44 pm by 2309 »
Developing a FS2 Campaign:
Corruptible, everyone has a price

Aye.  That's exactly what he said.  Whether we can take that as canon or not, I dunno.  Alpha one wasn't a philosopher or a cultural expert on the shivans, he was just an out-of-work fighter pilot.

As for the rest, we don't know.  The Shivans don't seem to occupy any systems, but they do have a never ending train of supplies and warships and new shivans.

Furthermore, the shivans do seem to be taking a 'no more then is actually neccessary' approach.  They could easily have sent in those Satanai immediately after discovery of the knossos if not during the great war, but they didn't.  Heck, go play through Their finest hour again.  Despite that the shivans have hundreds of juggernaughts in system, they don't send one out to trash the collusus until after you've destroyed 3 cruisers and a Ravana class destroyer.

All things considered, it's possible even the giant juggernaut fleet was nothing more then a shivan science expedition to study the effects of supernovas or local subspace or whatnot, and their real military is still at home.

At any rate, the only sound advice to be given on shivan technology and size is, "Never say 'we'll show them what firepower' is all about'.  Cause you won't."

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The Inferno team has done a lot of things that are not necessarily "true".

The Shivans do not need jump gates. You are wrong about the Sathanii though, because actually, they did fly through a "node", and it wasn't precisely an inter-system jump as well.

And yes, those were the exact words of the narrator in FS1's ending cutscene. But the important part is:

I’m told we can expect them again.
But not in my lifetime.
Such is liberation.

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
Remember The Shivans are the universe's antibodies and WE (GTVA) are the Virus...
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
its more like the Shivans appeared to have created an entirely new node out of the star...hence the subspace pulse we saw, and the resulting explosion.

If subspace nodes are related directly to gravity, then it seems that the Shivans affected the gravity of the star somehow, causing it to pull an exit point into subspace just above it. The side effect however, was the shifting in gravity such that the star collapsed on itself and caused a supernova.......
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Re: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
Of course, Lightspeed, much of what you have said is also not true.

Shivans don't occupy systems.

Yes, they do. The Shivans are and were in the system, therefore the Shivans are occupying the system. They were occupying the system past the second Knossos, they were occupying the nebula.

The GTVA never will be safe from the Shivans as in "out of their reach".

Except of course for now, while they're on the other side of the collapsed Capella nodes. The Sathanas fleet may not have been interested in killing off the GTVA, but the rest of them sure were.

Unlikely. But the completion of the gate will be prevented, before mankind can sign its own doom.

Completely your own opinion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fergus

They just don't like us using sub-space.  As to thier numbers, well I would say infinite would be suitible.  Everyone agree?
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i can say in one word exactly HOW many shivans there are..

"Lots"

:p

as for tech... well, i'm gathering by the sheer number of sath juggernaughts, that, they have a ****load of resources at their disposal, and that they could have ships bigger than planets on hand. ..

just my two cents.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Re: Re: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
Except of course for now, while they're on the other side of the collapsed Capella nodes. The Sathanas fleet may not have been interested in killing off the GTVA, but the rest of them sure were.[/B]

Wrong... the Shivans have other avenues of entry into GTVA space.  Ross 128 being the first, but they may have come in through Ikeya during FS1.  They don't have to come from Capella.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 08:30:00 am by 1668 »
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Yes, they do. The Shivans are and were in the system, therefore the Shivans are occupying the system. They were occupying the system past the second Knossos, they were occupying the nebula.

They didn't occupy anything they just did gather their fleet's

he Inferno team has done a lot of things that are not necessarily "true".

and what is "true".? we really don't know lot things about Shivan's just some info in FS1&2
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

[Edit] NVM.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:18:35 am by 2136 »
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
But we've never seen a Shivan installation or been led to believe that they would have constructed them anywhere.  A ship the size of the Sathanas, especially since their ZPE tech gives them a near-infinite energy supply, could have everything that the Shivans need for their day to day needs.  Besides, they are so alien, they may not have to carry their plumbing with them wherever they go, like we do.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Re: Re: Re: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
Uhhh... not so many replies at once, gah! :p

Originally posted by ngtm1r

Yes, they do. The Shivans are and were in the system, therefore the Shivans are occupying the system. They were occupying the system past the second Knossos, they were occupying the nebula.[/B]

Says who? It's a canon fact that Shivans do NOT occupy any systems. They merely take control of the jump nodes.

Except of course for now, while they're on the other side of the collapsed Capella nodes.

And that makes the GTVA out of the Shivan's reach how?
Remember where the Shivans first arrived, and you'll see.

and what is "true".? we really don't know lot things about Shivan's just some info in FS1&2

That "info" is more than you think. Its more than enough to discard a lot of things as wrong.

I doubt bigger than planets. That would take way too long to build and it would have to serve a good purpose. If there was something in the Shivans' arsenal that was bigger than a planet, then it would probably be an installation or an artificial planet.

Time is such an irrelevant parameter; you're thinking along an extremely Terran line of thought concerning that. Neither would it serve the reasons you named, because Shivans do not have any necessity for something as planets, let alone installations.

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by willy_principal
The shivans can't build jump gates

Shivan gates doesn't fit in with my image of the Shivans. More likely they would engineer their ships with better jump drives or something.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shivan tech and numbers. How powerful are they?
Originally posted by Lightspeed

Says who? It's a canon fact that Shivans do NOT occupy any systems. They merely take control of the jump nodes.

The area around the jump nodes is in the system. They do occupy systems, but not whole systems, just parts.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."