Author Topic: The Hard Light Productions Installation  (Read 121231 times)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Re: The Hard Light Productions Installation
Only difference is that HLP does not produce income...

Quote from: Sandwich
Since our income isn't really meeting our expectations, we're experimenting with the positioning of various Google ad blocks. We apologize if they're a bit more intrusive than you all would like, but that's unfortunately the point.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Anyways, what we do know about HLP is:

• It has seats (with flamethrowers under them)
  • There are ventilation ducts (where i spend much of my time)
  • There are weapons lockers
  • It has beams turrets (for firing welcome beams)

Using that information, we can determine that it must have several rooms, otherwise there is no reason for ventilation ducts. Also, The only reason for having ducts large enough to fit a fully grown shivan would be to move large amounts of air very quickly, so there is probably one or more decompression chaimbers, which means a large airlock or hangar, so it must be in space.  The seats could mean that HLP is moblie, or that people spend long periods of time here. Weapons lockers would mean HLP is expecting attacks. Having beam turrets means that it must be quite large, at least the size of a bomber.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Should've been more precise.

When I said thet HLP does not produce income, I meant that it is not, like other companies, based on production efficiency. My guess is that at best, google ads and stuff only add the income so that the expenses are at least partially covered.

I don't know whether HLP produces net income or not, but I'm 95% sure that it is not very much...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
No no no.

What we should do as a forum effort is to MSPaint-build the HLP base like the SA goons built their goon base: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=9fefe1dc1fcf265da7b095c809403385&threadid=1692558
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
**** it:

200x50 GIF files (no dithering). Post as a seperate block, and as part of the greater image. And it has to continue on from the existing blocks..
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
That rocks on almost every concievable level.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
EDIT: knn, do you know the scale you are talking?  Has such a thing even been attempted, aside from that Zentraedi superfortress in the Robotech mod?

I can recall two station that MIGHT be big enough - the Atlantis from Inferno and my Whitehall 8this one is smaller, so prolly not best suited..alltough it could be scaled up).
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline knn

Just slap a huge skybox section on it, with the superjugg bays inside.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
**** it:

200x50 GIF files (no dithering). Post as a seperate block, and as part of the greater image. And it has to continue on from the existing blocks..
Excellent! :yes:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
It can't be a ship anyways, because Steak's an AWACS and he's in here.

Exactly. Thunder's flagship is the size of an Orion too, and last I checked Shrike commanded a GOU (or was it ROU?) class Culture warship. I forget how big those are, though.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
If it's Culture, then chances are it's bloody massive. IIRC the biggest GSV hit the 200km mark...

The smaller ones are only a few km though, so it might only be Sathanas-sized. ;)

EDIT: My bad, an ROU (Rapid Offensive Unit IIRC) is much smaller - on the order of several hundred metres rather than kilometres.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 01:45:03 pm by pyro-manic »
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Well, all I own is a heavily modified Zephyrus gas miner painted blue and white and a Zephyr fighter, so no double parking worries there.  :p

That SomethingAwful idea rocks!! We definitely should do something like that sometime!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Anyways, what we do know about HLP is:

• It has seats (with flamethrowers under them)
  • There are ventilation ducts (where i spend much of my time)
  • There are weapons lockers
  • It has beams turrets (for firing welcome beams)

Using that information, we can determine that it must have several rooms, otherwise there is no reason for ventilation ducts. Also, The only reason for having ducts large enough to fit a fully grown shivan would be to move large amounts of air very quickly, so there is probably one or more decompression chaimbers, which means a large airlock or hangar, so it must be in space.  The seats could mean that HLP is moblie, or that people spend long periods of time here. Weapons lockers would mean HLP is expecting attacks. Having beam turrets means that it must be quite large, at least the size of a bomber.

All in the movie, somewhat; the "seats" could refer to my "conversation couches" things, the weapons lockers are in the forum ready rooms, the ventilation ducts are, well, duh, and the beam turrets could be on the turrets inside, or on the hull.

EDIT: And yea, the SA thing rules, we should do it :D

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
I thought we already were. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 06:56:21 am by Maeglamor »

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Attach it to mine.

We don't want **** ending up like SA where there's 50 million different pieces that can't fit together.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
mine

both
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'll cook something up, when I get home. Can someone provide some generic doors, floors and walls so we can keep a uniform style and modularity ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Just copy and paste what others have made.

Also, i recomend using png as it compresses better and gif is limited to 256 colours.

Also, i just noticed my starfield sucks.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Just copy and paste what others have made.

Also, i recomend using png as it compresses better and gif is limited to 256 colours.

Also, i just noticed my starfield sucks.
Good call, I was wondering that myself except I don't have a png converter handy.

EDIT: Ahhh, MSpaint can actually do it in winXP. My bad. :)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Don't we need, like, an outline and divide it into squares and stuff?