Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 905877 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Spoiler:
NOOOO! YOU BASTARDS KILLED EVERYBODY EVER! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem*OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE GREATEST MOD I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE!!!!
The characters were deep, the music only added to the story, the cliffhanger was ****ING EVIL AND I HATE YOU ALL and the missions forced me to change my entire playstyle from "gung-ho own everything" to "Be a little careful!" The ownage of Earth was especially tragic. However, I do have a major complaint that needs to be addressed below!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV The below REQUIRES a response
Spoiler:
Now, I can't accept how you try to paint the character as a "wronged but good person" by having her put "Dear Diary - Today I strangled a puppy with my bare hands, and I liked it! What kind of monster am I?" and then go out and butcher a bunch of Tevs in each mission. That doesn't fly with me.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The above REQURES a response

Spoiler:
Where did Bei go off to, I wonder? I wouldn't be surprised if Bei Sr. is leading the Fedayeen himself!
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Kolgena

I'm leaning towards saying that WiH is a fair bit better than either FS retail campaigns. Who's with me?

(except it's not voice acted yet, but that will come for sure. Heck, I don't see why anybody WOULDN'T want to be credited in this amazing mod. I would, but I lack good recording equipment)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
Where did Bei go off to, I wonder? I wouldn't be surprised if Bei Sr. is leading the Fedayeen himself!
Spoiler:
Have you watched the end cutscene?

Spoiler:
Have you watched the end cutscene?

Yes.

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
For those who are interested about Cockpit View, just grab the attach file.
Metaldestroyer: I'm sorry, but that tbm of yours will NOT be part of BP2. As you can see, you are losing the message senders, which is absolutely unacceptable for us. There's a code bug at work here which we'll have to track down and fix.
Aha!  Turns out the table needs a +noreplace right after each $Flags: line.  Otherwise (as far as I understand it) the "show ship" becomes the only flag, replacing everything including "fighter" and "player_ship".  All sorts of wonky behavior ensues.

So here's a fixed (afaik) attachment:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Heh, I also realized my laptop does not have the ability to withstand the awesomeness of epic ship clashes...

Until I switch to high-performance and put a fan nearby! Genius!

Spoiler:
Was I the only one that killed the hostage?

Offline thorbin

I am getting the following error messages when I try to play WiH part 1. The intro cutscene plays okay, but the error messages pop up when I get to the first briefing:

First this one:

Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>

followed by this one:

Verify failure: Vbuf0 != NULL

I did follow the installation instructions to the letter, and I do have an SSE2 processor.

I will report these error messages on the SCP area.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:19:41 pm by thorbin »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am getting the following error messages when I try to play WiH part 1. The intro cutscene plays okay, but the error messages pop up when I get to the first briefing:

First this one:

Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!

followed by this one:

Verify failure: Vbuf0 != NULL

I did follow the installation instructions to the letter, and I do have an SSE2 processor.

I will report these error messages on the SCP area.

Probably no need to report - this should be a really easy fix.

Just run a debug build (ends in -d) by selecting it in the launcher and launching Blue Planet, then play up to the moment of the crash, then go into your /FreeSpace2/data/ directory and post your fs2_open.log.

After that we can fix your install.

Offline thorbin

Here is my fs2_open.log output:

Code: [Select]
==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace version: 3.6.12
Passed cmdline options:
  -ship_choice_3d
  -weapon_choice_3d
  -mod blueplanet2,blueplanet,mediavps_3612
Building file index...
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-adv-visuals.vp' with a checksum of 0x2fa0cebd
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x60465ead
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x2a530d55
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0x5d4c1bfb
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x8fea63ef
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-adv-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x2851edb0
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-adv-visuals.vp' with a checksum of 0x1541da12
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0xcc452f9d
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio2.vp' with a checksum of 0x060bee91
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-core.vp' with a checksum of 0xe2219ccf
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0x7e75407b
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x44c7e8dd
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW1_Animaps.vp' with a checksum of 0x31613271
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW1_Normals.vp' with a checksum of 0x09e4b581
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW_Interface.vp' with a checksum of 0xd912cb06
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW_Intro.vp' with a checksum of 0xd8d071b9
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet1.vp' with a checksum of 0xdb02c05b
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\root_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xce10d76c
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\smarty_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xddeb3b1e
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x164fe65a
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xa11d56f1
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\StormFront12_root.vp' with a checksum of 0x541cef16
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\stu_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd77da83a
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango2_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x86920b82
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango3_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x705e8d71
Found root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Searching root 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\' ... 68 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-adv-visuals.vp' ... 23 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' ... 154 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' ... 61 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' ... 660 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' ... 1976 files
Searching root 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\' ... 24 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-adv-core.vp' ... 2 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-adv-visuals.vp' ... 403 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio1.vp' ... 41 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio2.vp' ... 685 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-core.vp' ... 46 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals1.vp' ... 400 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals2.vp' ... 1488 files
Searching root 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\' ... 0 files
Searching root 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\' ... 357 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW1_Animaps.vp' ... 237 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW1_Normals.vp' ... 28 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW_Interface.vp' ... 982 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\ASW_Intro.vp' ... 1 files
Searching root pack 'D:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet1.vp' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report.
Trying to put into 32 byte buffer:
ÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ.
File: cfilesystem.cpp
Line: 719

Hmm. I just noticed a 'blueplanet1.vp'. An old file, perhaps?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Whoa whoa whoa dude.

Are those mods you have not in their own folders?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Do I hear the Dune soundtrack in the last few missions? :lol:

thanks darius, guess i'm not sleeping tonight :)
Current Projects A New Dawn and Empires

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Dammit, I'm gonna be in Pittsburgh for all of this week, and I'll have this sitting at home on my HD utterly tantalizing me.  Part of me feels like pulling off some ridiculous marathon of it before I leave...except I can't, since I want to replay AoA first.  Do want do want do waaaaaaaannnt. :(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:12:58 pm by Mongoose »

Spoiler:
:eek2: I will never look at psychologists the same way ever again, ever.  :shaking: Who knows how many of them can secretly be Vishnans in disguise!?

Offline thorbin

Whoa whoa whoa dude.

Are those mods you have not in their own folders?
It would appear so. These are likely from a mod I installed over a year ago (I have had this FS2 installation on my PC a while). I have removed the 5 mod related VPs from my Freespace 2 root folder, and will try again. I will post the results later.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
My turn I guess. Three words:

Good... with merit. (Snail please shut up. Yes you're hyped with good reason, but it really pissed me the f*** off when you went high yesterday. Sorry. No I'm fine now really. :) :nervous:)

Was this what I was looking for? Don't know. Enough parts of the plot I detest. But I think you (whoever you is) came really close. :D :yes: :nervous:
Not like I've done anything useful as of late but if really did FRED what's in my head, maybe I might've emphasised the idea that
Spoiler:
everyone's evil
too.

Or maybe not... meh, I myself don't even know how I'd FRED it... :nervous:

With that out of the way...

--------------------------------------- tech stuff

1. This campaign needs voice acting not because it's awesome or any of the hype that some :nervous: people have been going round doing - it needs VA because there's SO MANY DAMN LINES that it's IMPOSSIBLE to play without going back to the Events window. Heck, with all that chatter it was obvious that the mission dudes had the voices in their head and FREDded away. And I think one or two sentences had the timing off, haven't seen things in FRED yet but I expect lots of sexp chaos that even I can't work heads or tails around, so I really cannot blame you people for that once-in-a-while slipup. I think it was only one line that had the timing off anyway.

Unfortunately by the end of the campaign I practically forgot who was even who. (lol wtf grammar? but can't think of a way to drive the point home XD) Apologies if this sounds offensive, but the only thing I caught on at credits point was some possible
Spoiler:
ecchi girl's love stuff.
At least now I understand why some people said things related to that in those infrequent forum posts and IRC chats during testing...

2. Major battles lagged HARD and the long combat distances weren't helping. The worst was texture corruption with the subspace warp everytime something jumped in or departed. Some of the battles were so damn intense that I simply sat there with a blank stare not shooting or even moving, unless something was shooting at me already. I cheapened out playing Very Easy because I couldn't be bothered to get my arse kicked while trying to get around the plot. Play on something harder and I guarantee things would be dying left and right enough to make me go berserk with the cheat codes rage-killing till the sequences broke.

Even the credits lagged REAL HARD!! I was all "screw the timing of the music, the event needs to finish first."

3. Even with mostly clear-cut instructions some things weren't obvious at first glance, such as the
Spoiler:
Striker packs lol I sound so Gundam SEED.
I didn't even know the Reinforcements menu was being used. Probably fits the battle tension though, "here I'm gonna teach you something in 0.9 seconds now hurry and press buttons" etc...

4. Button sequences. This one I won't blame, it's probably just limitations of the engine. I couldn't select some options because my control scheme is different (no multi messaging for one). I didn't realise this until I got to the
Spoiler:
superfast fighter training mission
and IIRC there was one decision tree before it... and I don't remember what the hell I chose.

5. Existing assets make me go all :doubt: when talking about "fancy big mods" like this one, this is one problem AoA has, but WiH tries to hide. I can see the effort in trying to make everything look uniform despite severe asset limitations (something which I try to do as well when I drown myself in random table edits despite not producing anything release-worthy). This mod is a good argument for me to continue to, well... "keep an open mind, stay neutral." Since depending on the situation I could really go either way if the whole issue of assets became a debate in itself.

--------------------------------------- story stuff

Spoiler:
5. At least this BP has something to keep the player in the mission, even when the mission failed warnings show up... but maybe that something is plain obvious, in that the GTVA just throws more big ships to make the player worse than dead, enough to make the player behind the 4th wall think, "F*** this, I'll restar--- wait, this is ridiculous. There MUST be a reason... play on then."

6. As the protagonist says, "big ugly ships ready to die." My reaction to it was, "Screw you, you didn't see a Sathanas with four imbalanced BFRed wiping everything off the floor and treating every usable munition against it the same as an ant's bite... GAAAAAAHHHHHH" (This point sounds like a random rant in itself :lol:)

7. Neither side is good, neither side is bad, but this is what BP was aiming for, so suck it up > pointlessly whine. Most of the time it was the GTVA that looked like the bad guy, Admiral Steele whatever, one UEF pilot citing "his dogs". Still, the Carthage baiting was equally evil looking at the UEF's side, yet it ALSO teaches people not to f*** with SOC for being able to plan so far ahead, just like World War II.

8. Something I noticed, anything significant to Alpha 1 in FS2 or canon gets to live. Nice. No that's not sarcasm - if somehow the Carthage gets through the entire BPverse not killed then that's probably some tribute to canon. As evil as it is I think it's better that way... I mean come on, who didn't hesitate over the trigger when the Carthage is in front of you, albeit with RED IFF? Not forgetting, when the test squadron from FS2 jumps in they were practically unkillable, and if the player hadn't run back to the Indus earlier or activated cheats, bullying session ensues?

---------------------------------------

9. Finally...

Spoiler:
When the tech room entries started talking about universes and so on...
No wait... nevermind. Deja vu. :mad: :( :sigh: <--- the "oh well suck it up" look.

You guys did hard work, so you earned it. :D :yes: Part of me will start whining about it but ultimately I know that's pointless. Safe to say though, even this Part 1 of WiH has killed any desire I have to even mod or FRED anything for a long time to come, probably... umm... "putting the pen to the paper" in layman's terms, for fear of what I have coming nowhere close.

That's it from me then. I'd talk more but this is already overkill to me. Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:03:39 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I am unable to finish this tonight.  If I continued trying to beat that mission, I'd end up ragequitting.

Spoiler:
****ing maxim bombers EVERYWHERE.  And it does NOT help AT ALL that my target bomb/bomber key is working in reverse order for some strange reason.  I want to target the bomb 100 meters in front of me, not FIVE ****ING CLICKS OFF!  Then, by the time I learn there's an SSM TAG'r en route to the Indus, I'm six clicks from him, and he's four clicks from the Indus.  Do the math.  Even if I get him with the treb-equivalents, he's already launched. :sigh:

I'll try again tomorrow.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh, that mission. Guys, no-one will know if you play it on very easy the first time. :lol:

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I AM on Very Easy. :(

Spoiler:
I don't think I'd be having as much trouble if that first goddamn wave of bombers wouldn't come from behind and take the Indus down 15-20% before I can effectively reach them and scatter the formation.  Then, there are two full wings of bombers coming from the front starting to launch bombs, and I can only give orders to one wing of fighters.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:02:57 am by Scotty »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Stay near the frigates.