Author Topic: favourite canon fighters.  (Read 27449 times)

favourite canon fighters.
definatly my top 3 favourite canon fighters would be:

GTF Ares- good amount of energy, high weapons compatability, many guns and missles.

GTF Myrmidon- Second gun bank has a total of four guns, high for a space superiority fighter. descent speed.

GTF Ulysses- quick, very manuverable, and high weapons compatability.
-------------------------------------Ships i hate----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTF hercules mark II- slow, low missle capacity and few gun banks compared to the mark I.

GVF seth- though it has a high missle cap. its primary weapon banks are horid for a heavy fighter.

GVF thoth- low missle cap, may be manuverable but only one primary bank. i prefer to be able to arm myself with more than one gun

My conclusion- the vasudans dont make the best fighters on earth. in the galaxy
mac user 100%

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: favourite canon fighters.
Persie. It's just about the ultimate combination of fast and powerful. It's billed as an interceptor but it's by far the best at dogfights.

also you LIKE the MYRM wtF no WAI (the myrm is a terrible fighter)

Also, I know FS's dogfight balance is frakked up (rebalancing every single weapon? WTF, V?), but when I do dogfight I take the Thoth. Good maneuverability, FS1 Zods actually have a decent amount of hull, and 4 firing points on an otherwise light fighter. Combined with the rebalanced brokenly powerful Mekhu HL-D, the Thoth is really the only fighter besides maybe the Pegasus to take in dogfights. Also light fighter dogfight is only dogfight

true, thoth isnt a horrible fighter, but i always prefer to not be restricted to a single gun bank.
mac user 100%

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Shouldn't this be turned into a poll?

Also, I preferred the Perseus before, but after playing Homesick, I'm starting to like the Hercules Mk I as well.

Anyone, tell me, why exactly is the Herc II better than the original? The original has more firepower, and an equally massive secondary load. The Herc I is better due to its increased primary firepower.

Still, I pick the Erinyes as my #1.

So, I think it's something like Erinyes > Ares > Hercules Mk I > Myrmidon > Hercules Mk II > Perseus > Ulysses = Loki for me.
For the bombers, the Bakha just HAS to take this; good speed, maneuverability, and has about the same secondary loadout of even the Ursa giant bomber.

Of course, the tough guys would favor the Ursa or Medusa, but their maneuverability is too ****ty.

Not sure about the Vasudan fighters, though. I haven't played them in quite a while.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Loki FTW.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Anyone, tell me, why exactly is the Herc II better than the original? The original has more firepower, and an equally massive secondary load. The Herc I is better due to its increased primary firepower.

More health, better energy recharge, and better gun positions.

Favorite for me is the Myrmidon.  I just love that little guy. :P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Purely on aesthetics the FS1 Terran stable beats the FS2 designs hollow, particularly high marks for the Herc I and Apollo they look like war machines.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
GTF hercules mark II- slow, low missle capacity and few gun banks compared to the mark I.

The Herc 2 actually has substantially more secondary capacity than the Herc 1.
80+100 vs 60+60
It is also (slightly) faster and more maneuverable than the Herc 1.
And it's smaller so it's less of a "PLZ SHOOT ME."
Its gunpoints are better placed so that you can actually hit stuff with all of them.
It has much better energy reserves (probably due to reduced energy drain).

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Herc 1.
Everything it can do I can do in an Athena (in FS1) or a Herc2 (in FS2), and better! (because of better placed gunpoints that you can actually hit **** with).

60 capacity more tempests/trebs > 2 badly placed gun points
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Qent

Myrmidon (don't kill me!) and Loki.

I'd definitely have to say the Perseus is my favorite.

I like the Herc II pretty well too, but I've always thought it looked a little goofy :)

Offline Drogoth

Perseus allthough for me its tied with the Valk. Probably only because i played FS1 into the ground before I ever played FS2, but yeah. One or the other.

Also I LOVE the Apollo. I love the way it looks, and it feels like a good all rounder. Tbh I feel like the Apollo is an incredibly underrated fighter.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Perseus has always felt the most fun to fly for me.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Myrmidon (don't kill me!).

We should form a fanclub.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
You misunderstand me; I love people who fly Myrmidons. Makes easy kills in TvT for the rest of us :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I don't believe I was talking to you. :blah:

Perseus. Fast, reasonably tough, and will get you through any situation short of anti-capship.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
We should form a fanclub.
Have fun with that two member club

as for my favorite fighters, definitely the Horus or Apollo. I hate the Serapis, Tauret (ugly as sin, and the Seth tends to be better for me), the Herc II, Ares and Erinyes. I do have a love hate relationship with the Myrmidon because I hate the ship but I love it when other people fly in in TvTs or dogfights. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The majority of Vasudan fighters tend to fall all to pieces the instant they hit some turbulence.

The Erinyes and the Myrmidon are good in some situations, but they're more like heavy interceptors than anything else. If you need to take down 50 Nahema's without support, I can definitely see the appeal in the Myrm.

Ares is definitely king of the heavy fighter hill, although a properly supported Herc II, Herc or even a Seth are forces to be reckoned with.

The Perseus and the Apollo rock my socks in their respective games. Both are good, reliable dogfighters that can also do some serious strafing runs. These are probably the best player fighters, simply because of their versatility

The Ulysses, the Valkyrie, the Loki, and the Horus are all excellent for short missions where you need to (for example) disable a dragon, but once you get up the difficulty ladder a little bit, they simply have no ability to take any fire at all. I've been one shotted by a Herc I in a Ulysses with good (looking) shields all around.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
FS1: Fav goes to the Ulysses for being so damn maneuverable, the Apollo for being a good all rounder, decent speed and maneuverability, decent shields and armor, decent missile capacity and gun placement; if the mission doesn't call for a specific role, take the Apollo.  Honorable mention for the Athena which is most certainly a strike fighter, not a bomber.

FS2: Myrmidon, 6 guns and the option to fit 3 missile types, and yet still has decent speed and maneuverability, I see it as the heir to the Apollo's general purpose throne.  Second is the Seraph because I am suicidally insane when I fly and that thing is FUN; with the speed and maneuverability, it feels like the Ulysses mkII.  The Perseus takes third because it does it's job.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It is not suprising that the people who like the Perseus also like the Apollo, since they are basically the Capella-era and T-V War era respectively of the same fighter, stats-wise : same turning rate, same afterburner, same primary and secondary capacity, etc.

The main issue with the Myrmidon and the Erinyes is that because of their low agility and resistance, they have terrible survivability on the field compared to fighters like the Perseus or even fighters like the Herc1/2/Ares who at least can compensate with hull and shields. I wouldn't be surprised if the people enjoying those two are the same as those playing in lower difficulties, where agility and survivability become much less a determining factor.

In dogfights, the Pegasus and the Ulysses easily win the day, because turning rate is the main factor here.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras