Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 266267 times)

Offline Molaris

Re: Freespace Music Remixes
The remixed Mission 2 Battle tracks sound AMAZING!! I love BOTH version. They were definitely my favorite tracks. I'm kinda in a soundtrack craze currently (Epic Score, Audiomachine, Globus, etc., etc.,) you have anything just as awesome but NOT FS/FS2? Thx for the remixes :-D
"Hey, Mike, you think you can toss me my calculations? Thanks! Ah, here it is: "Breach Hull - All Die." Even had it underlined!" -Crow T. Robot-

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm going to be focusing all efforts now on nothing but original Freespace remastering. Starting with missions, so I'll be busy for a while.

-
DW

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Can't believe I missed this thread. Already enjoying what you've got on Soundcloud. Can't wait to see you a package release or something. :)

EDIT: I"m looking forward to FS2_DB_01, FS2_Brief_05, and FS2_Btl_E02.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:08:55 am by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Well, I took a listen to the ambient track mix for Worlds Apart, and I must say I like it. My only complaint would be that NRML3's tempo may be a little too fast compared to the original.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Thanks, here is the actual tempo map for "Worlds Apart" for those interested. It's the same as original.  This puppy never sits still!

Normal1, Normal2, EARV1, AARV1 = 86 BPM
Normal3 = 120 BPM
EARV2, AARV2 = 140 BPM
Battle1,2,3, Victory1 = 145 BPM
Victory2 = 120 BPM

I'm debating about the instrumentation for the battle tracks, and have come up with an idea to have more world instruments employed - especially in Battle1. So 1 will be more (Mid)Eastern, 2 will be more Western. Still working out the mix, will post it at some point.

Meanwhile, I'm well into Mission 5 now... and it's frickin scary stuff. :)

-
DW

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Tempo maps!! :yes:

Dan, what's the fastest bpm you'd tackle? 225's a good number ;D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

"Worlds Apart" is incredible. Love the end part that was the theme for the original Inferno R1. Such an atmospheric track overall : ) The mix is spot on.

I think the end bit of the end bit of worlds apart (where the flute thing comes in) could be a bit longer. I thought it was a shame in the original as well, it just seems to cut short at the end. And itś one of the, if not the, most beautifull parts of your entire FS soundtrack.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:26:37 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Hold on...what exactly is this? A real performance instead of a midi file or something, which renders the quality far better and more realistic?
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hold on...what exactly is this? A real performance instead of a midi file or something, which renders the quality far better and more realistic?

no

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
what
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Snail

• SC 5
These tracks are simply incredible. I love how they give an awesome new take on the themes while still retaining the spirit of the originals. I've never even heard these tracks before, and I'm still getting nostalgia. Thanks so much Dan Wentz!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

It's probably a case that Dan still had the original pre-mixdown tracks of the audio, where each instrument is seperated onto a different track on the sequencer. A little bit of filtering and noise reduction, combined with the lack of limitations that were with the original game (22Khz 8-Bit iirc) can do wonders :) Add a couple of new tracks and some fresh mixing on the old ones and out pours the awesome :D

Offline Qent

"Worlds Apart" is just beautiful! :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
This stuff brings a big 'ol grin to my face. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Quote from: danimal
"Mmmmm... 18 Voltage Controlled Oscillators" (drool)
*drool

M5 is spooky in a epic way
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:51:55 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Hey Dan,

Wonderful work, I'm really enjoying these. :) Any chance of getting these all packaged into an MP3 album when you're done making them?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Ohmigod it's the guy who did the briefing music from Slaying Ravana *.*

That track was an instant favourite with pretty much my entire household when they heard it.

A remix of it would be beyond epic (I think it's called Cinema C going by the GOG.com soundtrack I got)

Edit:

Just started checking out the tracks already remixed... Holy ****  :eek2:

:yes: :yes:
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline starlord

just a quick note to say thank you sir!

freespace 1 and 2 remained in my mind largely for it's immersive musics among other things!

particularly important to me is the command briefing music for the aftermath mission, in which the lucifer is revealed: the music blended with the small film flawlessly; a tribute to your talent!

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios

Good question. These are complete overhauls from scratch using MIDI triggered software instruments. I'm using 4-5 plugins for each song. I start with the Roland TSS-1 which emulates the original Roland Sound Canvas, so I get the retro percussion (If I want to keep it some cases) but all the instruments are done using a variety of (Eastwest/Native Instruments) plugins that employ either streaming samples or software synths. See attachment.

The keyboard controller I'm using to play each part is the Korg Microkey, and this is all done on a XPS 17 laptop.

One major advantage of doing it this way, no audio-only tracks, is that when I render the collective MIDI to an audio mixdown, I can choose what sample rate bit depth I want. I can also change any instrument, note, controller, etc. while keeping the rest of the mix untouched. For the game renders (what will eventually end up in the game) I'm using 16bit 44k renders, but I could render them as high as 32bit 96k; Although it doesn't make much sense to render at resolutions above those used in the streaming samples.

-
DW

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:07:25 pm by Danimal »