Author Topic: [Release] Cockpit Mod 2.0!  (Read 84764 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
[Release] Cockpit Mod 2.0!
The all new and even more shiny version of my cockpit mod is here!
Get it now, while the canopy is still intact!

Download for the new 2.0:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/js3mt4tvgnaqccz/cockpit-mod_2.0.rar

And for those who prefere the old version, here is the link for version 1.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uugdrw34yc9uwzw

Installation:
- decompress and drop the cockpit-mod-2.0.vp file into every mod's folder that you want to play with cockpits (or if you just want to play the freespace2 main campaign: select the cockpit-mod folder as a mod in the launcher) - the mod might not work on campaigns that use custom ships
- disable the ballistic ammo gauge in the launcher if you have turned it on

known problems:
- distortion and off brackets in the target window
- minor stretching problems with the weapon gauge

and some example screenshots:
of 2.0:

and of 1.2:

Let me know if there are any problems I didn't notice.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:05:36 am by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: [Release] Cockpit Mod
Looks really good. Why the weird energy gauge positions though?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Installation:
- decompress and drop the data folder into your mediavps folder, overwrite everything if asked
- disable the ballistic ammo gauge and environment maps in the launcher

For the love of god please do NOT DO THIS. Stop. Don't do it. PLEASE STOP. DON'T

This should be installed and loaded as a separate mod. I cannot overstate the support hell that may ensue if it's dropped into mediavps_3612/data. Pleeeeeeease, I'm begging you, distribute this as a separate mod folder and edit mod.inis to reference it.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, I'd prefer to see it included into the next mediavps as an optional download. Editing mod.ini in every mod you want to use it in is a bit of a chore, not to mention not every user can do it. Besides, this feature is so new so I don't think there is a mod with which it would interfere.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Actually, I'd prefer to see it included into the next mediavps as an optional download. Editing mod.ini in every mod you want to use it in is a bit of a chore, not to mention not every user can do it. Besides, this feature is so new so I don't think there is a mod with which it would interfere.

you could just edit the mediavp mod ini to reference it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It'd only work with mediavps then. If any other mod uses mediavps, then mediavps mod.ini wouldn't be loaded.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
true, but given how many mods use mediavps it would drastically cut down the number of mods you need to change
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Not it wouldn't. Campaigns, even those that don't change anything, usually come in separate mod folder. If FSO loads mod.ini for that campaign, it would not load any mod.ini files for dependencies.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Actually, I'd prefer to see it included into the next mediavps as an optional download. Editing mod.ini in every mod you want to use it in is a bit of a chore, not to mention not every user can do it.

No, absolutely not. You would render the MediaVPs (potentially) incompatible with any campaign using a custom HUD gauge.

Besides, this feature is so new so I don't think there is a mod with which it would interfere.

It breaks Blue Planet and JAD less than I'd thought!

This is modding 101 - it should be its own mod folder, or at least a VP file that will appear on debug logs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:57:59 am by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Whoops I was wrong, the way it's set up now it won't break those things nearly as badly as I thought; it will, however, break everything, due to a LUA error that keeps popping up. It still absolutely needs to be packaged as a VP and probably placed in its own mod folder (which works great, I've tested it!)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:00:05 am by General Battuta »

Offline fightermedic

download link removed for now
works flawlessly with some mods - doesn't work at all with others, i fail to see the reason just yet but will try to fix it
all the mods i tested it with are among those where it works perfectly well, bad luck i guess, still, sorry for releasing it in a less than optimal state
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really appreciate your hard work here, and honestly, you can sidestep the problem of it only being compatible with some mods by distributing it as its own mod folder. If you do it that way, you can safely leave the table files exposed as plaintext and people can edit it to add whatever ships they'd like.

Offline fightermedic

i'm completely retarded
my problems have been caused by a too long file path on some mods, due to me changing my freespace directory a few days back - so much for trying to fix problems that have nothing to do with the cockpit mod *sigh*
anyway, download is up again, i've changed a few things

....using vp's is utterly evil and will lead to eternal damnation, but it seems like i don't have much of a choice here  :banghead:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:23:47 pm by fightermedic »
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
....using vp's is utterly evil and will lead to eternal damnation, but it seems like i don't have much of a choice here  :banghead:
It is not, and you are a bad person for thinking it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Umm... Wut?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
i'm completely retarded
my problems have been caused by a too long file path on some mods, due to me changing my freespace directory a few days back - so much for trying to fix problems that have nothing to do with the cockpit mod *sigh*
anyway, download is up again, i've changed a few things

I troubleshoot dozens of FreeSpace Open problems a month. If you don't use VPs, you are making my job - and that of everyone else involved in tech support - much, much harder. The same goes for installing anything to mediavps_3612/data.

Offline Flygit

Nice work.

However, Antagonist mod wouldn't launch without adding the ship name into those two table files. My other much simpler cockpit mod with a helmet hud worked without crashes before I added the ship names.

On a related note, how can I get cockpits working with Blu Planet mods?

Offline fightermedic

thank you,
the problem with this mod is the reloading gauge script, for some reason i don't understand it is causing crashes with ships that are not added to the gauge table
i'll see if i can find a way to have the hud display as default on ships that are not added to the list
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline Flygit

Apparently Blue Planet's original ships work fine with your cockpit mod but the new GTF Aurora ship doesn't. It won't display cockpit at all. I managed to get a hideous looking cockpit for the Aurora after enabling show ship flag. If I change POF filename to generic and add the file to vp file, game crashes. Is there a way to use your cockpit with BP's new ships?

Wing Commander Saga crashes with this mod. Something about reloads and wcsaga exe. Can anything be done here?

I found your included leading reticle too big and too busy looking. I replaced it with Diaspora's one which is a bit smaller and easier on the eyes.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You just need to modify the cockpit mod's ships table to add entries for the new BP ships. Be aware that this will cause some weird **** in some BP2 missions.