Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 587462 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
 :lol: :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Future Work Estimates Are Just That: Estimates

I don't understand how people can criticize them. I mean, the Star Citizen Devs all have their Real Lives that consumes a lot of time (golfing, party etc). It's not like they're paid for their work on SC.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
This helps to help the team focus and scope their tasks, especially in the case of tech development. Every team needs target dates, so you may see dates adjust when we get more accurate information and understanding of what’s needed to be completed.

You'd be forgiven for thinking they had just started development on SQ42 instead of being at it for the past 7 years.

Come to think of it, with a 1.5 year deadline, they probably are just starting on it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
But how can this be? Didn't Croberts promise SQ42 several years ago?! Surely he couldn't be a lying con artist who scams dumb backers who have more money than brains?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Q2 2020? Really?!

Until then they need a new game engine, because Star Citizen begins to look outdated already.

Not to speak of, that you will be able to play SC on Smartphones then... and that has nothing to do with Roberts' vision that want to show, that a PC is still the Masterrace.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Aesaar

Ben said in 2015 that he played through every mission of SQ42 and it was amazing then.  Imagine how much better it is now!

Ben said in 2015 that he played through every mission of SQ42 and it was amazing then.  Imagine how much better it is now!

Am I reading a little cynism there?!? When the game will be out it be retro gold! :cool:

Offline MikeRoz

I can't help but notice that nobody is talking about how CIG released their financials for everyone to see. Surely the top minds of HLP/SomethingAwful/Gooncitizen_Refunds will be able to point out the line item for CR's nose candy?
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
SQ42 beta scheduled for Q2 2020

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

This is obviously great news for Store Citizen!

By that time we'll likely have Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on Steam.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I am incredibly happy that this thread title is still so amazingly relevant X years later.

That's making me curious somehow. Let's do a little thought experiment and skip a couple years: imagine yourself on the 1.1.2025. What would the status of Star Citizen be like?

a) Still unreleased with people still funding for some reason.
b) Canceled entirely.
c) Released and one of the most popular games ever made (maybe leadership change?).
d) Released but only mediocre (more or less like a normal game).
e) Released but epic fail.
f) Something different.

I'm somewhere between D and F.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
B, D, E, F.

Elon Musk will have us fighting daleks by the time SC releases.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
8 years development time for a very complex game, while also establishing a new studio and under significantly changing scope and funding. 2020 is kinda disappointing not unreasonable.

CIG now seems to be valued at ~500 million, so even if pledges stop tomorrow (and they will not), they will have enough funding to continue for a few years by inviting investors.

Alpha 3.4 is released today. Good progress on PU this year.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
8 years development time for a very complex game, while also establishing a new studio and under significantly changing scope and funding.

Squadron 42 isn't that complex a project, CIG's corporate structure is needlessly byzantine, and changing scope is ... well. That's really a management competence thing, isn't it? As in, competent management would've been able to reign in the Robertsian impulse to make a game that is everything to everyone (but, most importantly, Roberts' last chance to work with real Hollywood actors).

8 years dev time is completely insane. Very few projects with a dev cycle that protracted have ever come out good.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

Squadron 42 depends on LOTS of Persistent Universe technology and that is what makes it so complex. In many ways it will be more like Skyrim or RDR rather than an ordinary linear campaign.

changing scope is ... well. That's really a management competence thing, isn't it?

You are implying changing scope is a bad thing, but it is not. Change of the scope is the correct decision because funding greatly changed, too. Expanding the game when more funds are available is a good thing. Even if it takes longer to release. As long as they ultimately deliver a bigger game, of course. With at least several years of operation remaining, I am quite confident they will.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:07:51 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Funding shouldn't change the original design.   Invest the extra in servers or stop taking money. 
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 666maslo666

Funding shouldn't change the original design.   Invest the extra in servers or stop taking money. 

That makes zero sense.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You are implying changing scope is a bad thing, but it is not. Change of the scope is the correct decision because funding greatly changed, too. Expanding the game when more funds are available is a good thing. Even if it takes longer to release. As long as they ultimately deliver a bigger game, of course. With at least several years of operation remaining, I am quite confident they will.

Dude.

I write software for a living. Changing scope is such a bad thing that the industry has developed a bunch of ways to deal with it in an orderly manner that still allows developers to produce something usable, no matter how many times the customer changes their minds in the process.
Changing scope is always a bad thing. It's always disruptive and always causes issues and delays above and beyond what even the most conservative estimate showed. For a project to change scope as much as Star Citizen has is almost certainly going to be fatal (see also: Duke Nukem Forever, Daikatana). It is certainly not a recipe for success; There is no game in video game history that had its scope changed as much as Star Citizen did, and no game in history with such a shaky foundation in terms of its business model.

Tell us, maslo, what's the easiest way to earn Idris money in game? Until you can answer that question (i.e. until such time as CIG has figured out how to build an ingame economy [or, for that matter, a game stable enough to allow development of an economy]), I'd be a bit more wary about any "good news" coming out of CIG.

That makes zero sense.

Au contraire, mon frere, it makes all kinds of sense. We've seen this again and again in crowdfunded projects: The likelihood of a project succeeding depends a lot on how well the project is budgeted and planned out before the campaign even starts. That includes budgeting and scheduling any and all stretch goals. CIG never did that, they just threw out tons of commitments with no real idea of what the scope actually was.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

That makes zero sense.

That makes zero sense.   See above.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 666maslo666

You cannot avoid greatly changing the scope of the game when your funding changes by an order of magnitude during development, from an original of $20 million to $200+ million. Developing a $20 million game when you can do a $200 million one would be utter stupidity, and you know it. "Changing scope is bad" may be a good heuristic but it completely fails for projects such as Star Citizen.