Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 592873 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Ignore that negativity. He’s obviously a goon and doesn’t understand that this game is a revolution in development. No publishers, no money grubbing investors, just a man with a dream and fans who trust him to take as long as he needs to get it right.

:shepicide:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Man remember when that original trailer came out and some of us said “it’s funny that none of the ships ever get hit or interact, guess they have a ways to go on gameplay systems.”

Has anything ever been so accidentally, hilariously, completely correct

Ignore that negativity. He’s obviously a goon and doesn’t understand that this game is a revolution in development. No publishers, no money grubbing investors, just a man with a dream and fans who trust him to take as long as he needs to get it right.

Oversight is overrated.  If it weren't for all that damned accountability, CRoberts would have made Freelancer a goddamn masterpiece.

Who needs a product, when you can sell a dream?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That's the basis of kickstarter as a whole surely?  ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
That's the basis of kickstarter as a whole surely?  ;7

What a delightfully devastatingly-accurate comment.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mpez

So I gave the game a try during the free week. And BlueFlames is correct, it's a dream. Buggy, won't be finished etc. but surprisingly not that terrible.

Not sure if anyone remembers when an early version of Doom 3 got leaked years ago.  It ran 15 fps on my system, had a few unfinished levels, but I still spent hours just shooting at boxes, watching them fall from shelves and being awed by the physics of the game. I was awed by the graphics and the ability to interact with computers in game. It turned out to be a mediocre game, but the concept was really cool.

Same situation here. I really like some of the elements the game has like the planets, detailed locations, great ship interiors. Generally, space legs. I know other games have already done these and also have competent game loops (x rebirth, x4, no man's sky etc...), but there is something great about the general feel Star Citizen has when it comes to space legs. I think it has something to do with the unnecessary stuff like gimmicky and awkward ship panels you have to use to manage ship energy, shields, etc. I'm waiting 3 in game minutes for a space tram to take me to my next destination and I'm somehow blown away by the experience while at the same time thinking what a chore it will be to use this transportation system after a while. These things will kill the game in the long run, but somehow make it really interesting at first glance.

I don't understand why I am being attracted to this empty immersive shell of a game and praising space legs, while at the same time I'm rolling my eyes when hearing Elite is going to get them and thinking Elite should get more gameplay loops first. Star Citizen is really frickin attractive despite all of it's obvious flaws and controversies and I'm not sure why, I think I need someone more competent to analyze this for me.

While they wasted tons of money, it's not like they just laid back and did nothing. The concept is attractive (that's why they're still having people willing to pay for it), but extremely difficult to realize, as other developers found out before, and C.Roberts has not the management skills required for this. Perhaps they should've used a more modular system, like 'if we raise that much money, you'll get this', but since the vision was changed so often a good chunk of the money was burned at the stake. What is a shame because they had more than enough chances to stop making bad decisions and rescue the project while still having enough bucks to make it an awesome game.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
[...]

So that's what a space elevator is like!
Potato!

Offline MikeRoz

Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

I knew it, SCs broken reality gameplay is driving people into suicide.

Speaking of it, is suicide already implemented properly or would I have to wait for minutes if the space train is late and no gun is available?

Offline MikeRoz

Pretty sure there is a key or key combination for it.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Mpez

Speaking of it, is suicide already implemented properly or would I have to wait for minutes if the space train is late and no gun is available?
It's under backspace. I've learned that during my first 30 min with the game :D

So once I relieved myself from the burdens of gameplay, is there already an afterlife awaiting me with a picture of The Creator, or did Mr.Roberts not think of this way to honor His work yet?

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Back into Mount and Blade again, because I need a good hacking slashing pointy things game. Only 976 hours into it, so still fairly new to the series.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Back into Mount and Blade again, because I need a good hacking slashing pointy things game. Only 976 hours into it, so still fairly new to the series.
Bannerlord when?

Also, starcitizen is good.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline CT27

A while back in the thread, we talked about Star Citizen and the Final Fantasy 7 remake as games that were being continually pushed back and we were wondering if there would be a release.

For what it's worth, it was recently announced that pt.1 of FFVIIR will see a release in March 2020.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I actually mean to post in the "what are you playing" thread, so woopsies.

And furthermore, Star Citizen is good.

Any actual "SC playing" related stuff should be put into a seperate "What are you trying to play" thread for safety reasons.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Any actual "SC playing" related stuff should be put into a seperate "What are you trying to play" thread for safety reasons.

https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I would like to take this time to point out that basically Warframe is turning into Star Citizen in a good way, which is EXACTLY how Star Citizen should have done its development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHu4vaLkms

You make and RELEASE your game, and slowly expand its scope from there if you like.