Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102144 times)

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
The SRed spam is awesome and cool.

The Colossus doesn't grow any new beams, it just fires its standard load out.

I mean how all its beams fire at once, including, as I recall, the AAAs. It looked pretty bad.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

That's just how TAGs work. AFAIK they don't magically reset the cooldown on any of the beams, they just make them fire when you TAG the sath. They're ULTRA AAAs so they can't fire without a tag which leads to those huge barrages.
The LRBGReens will fire normally.

Would you prefer if TAGs caused only a part of the beams to fire of it the beam barrage wasn't so well co-ordinated?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I'd prefer if a) there weren't a dozen AAAs firing uselessly at the Sath, and b) there was a bit more noise in the main beams' firing pattern so the scripting is less obvious.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
AAAs do damage and look cool.

Dozens of beams firing at once is a pretty big and jarring difference from the way capship combat looked in FS2 retail and I'm clearly not the only one who thinks this, but apparently you've already made up your mind.

It's pretty much exactly what capship combat looked like in retail FS2. When a Ravana jumps in it fires all of its beams at once if they're in range. And it's especially what capship combat looks like in Bp2 due to not inserting a random refire delay.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Why would a ship NOT fire all of it's beams? It's a great improvemet, can't wait to try it all.

It's pretty much exactly what capship combat looked like in retail FS2. When a Ravana jumps in it fires all of its beams at once if they're in range. And it's especially what capship combat looks like in Bp2 due to not inserting a random refire delay.

When a Ravana jumps in it fires two beams, not a dozen tiny AAAs.

Why would a ship NOT fire all of it's beams? It's a great improvemet, can't wait to try it all.

Exactly. It's a war. This is the way it would be in real life. You don't go easy on your enemies.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Well, the Shivans sometimes seem to...

Well, the Shivans sometimes seem to...

Well, the game isn't perfect. I think in real life, a species like that would be far more brutal and aggressive.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

When a Ravana jumps in it fires two beams, not a dozen tiny AAAs.

That's because it doesn't HAVE a dozen tiny AAAs. :rolleyes:
The Colly does so why not fire them.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Dozens of beams firing at once is a pretty big and jarring difference from the way capship combat looked in FS2 retail and I'm clearly not the only one who thinks this, but apparently you've already made up your mind.

If it didn't look different how could you tell it was working?

I think you should set it up so that the beams fire in order of their distance to the Sathanas, possibly to the tune of "Blackbird" by The Beatles.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Given that the FS2 retail capship combat in that mission sucked balls, that's actually a nice compliment.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline qwadtep

Exactly. It's a war. This is the way it would be in real life. You don't go easy on your enemies.
You're straining your logistics network if you fire everything haphazardly. You don't turn your AA guns on a surface combatant or your CIWS on the horizon except out of desperation; doubly so in Freespace where you're dealing with energy weapons on shared power grids and heatsinks. The Colly's imploding under the stress of her LRBGreens in High Noon, it doesn't make sense for her to worsen it for the superficial damage of lighter weapons.

Of course, all bets are off in Their Finest Hour since it's exactly that sort of desperation. If all you've got left to shoot the Yamato at Samar is your pistol, then lock and load.

The beams should probably be sequentially locked from back to front as the Colossus blows up, though, so it stops shooting from empty space.

But that's exactly what warships do with their AAA beams if they ever get in range of a warship with no other targets to shoot at. All AAA beams can be fired directly and are actually quite good if scripted to target subsystems.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, firing AAA beams against other warships is standard practice in FS2.

My major complaint here is that the beams fire all at once, when you fire a TAG. This makes no sense: the Colossus' fire control isn't slaved to your fighter. I think it could do with being toned down some.

It is because it's not within 1500 range of the Sathanas and the weaker AAA beams can't produce a bottle at that range without TAG systems.