Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422738 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.4 (combined launcher/installer)
Sweet.

*Tries to play Nostos and fails* Nope. Same problem.

*rechecks file integrity, finds same problems it has before with the same files and redownloads*

While that's doing it's thing, is there anything I should be looking for? I refuse to believe that Nostos, which was JUST released, is having this sort of problem already.
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

The first step is to be more specific, what exactly kind of errors are you getting? Are they consistent everywhere? And to confirm the problem isn't only with Nostos?

Nostos is the big one right now. I did notice that several models looked like they were missing textures, the Icelus destroyer in particular as well as the Phobos corvette, when looking at their techroom entries. Short version is when I try to launch a mission from the briefing room, within two seconds it crashes todesktop saying it can't render the Hermes or Charybdis POF. Uninstalling and reinstalling, verifying file integrity has no effect.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi there. For what it's worth, I completed the Nostos Campaign via Knossos two days ago and had no problems. (FYI - 'twas bloody awesome!)

Knossos still has some bugs to work out I feel. I have had mods work one day then not the next. I have had mods refuse to load one day, then work fine the next. I have had weird errors pop up, but a mod seamed to work ok anyway. I have had mods (Inferno classic for example) load and work fine, but then randomly CTD (Crash-To-Desktop) mid mission.  :confused: :banghead:

When it works it is great, it just isn't 'quite there' yet. It is still in Beta, so that is to be expected I guess. I am looking forward to when it is out of Beta and is working smoothly. That is when I will go Blitzkrieg on the Social Media side of things and hopefully attract  many new pilots  ;)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let's make sure we're separating mod bugs from knossos bugs. If a mod has CTD worthy data in it, then Knossos is not responsible. In general.. if you have gotten a mod to run (FSO launches and you see the appropriate mod data/campaign), then any issues from there are probably the fault of the creators and not Knossos.

However if you are having issues with a mod and the 'Verify File Integrity' option doesn't run successfully, then we probably have a Knossos issue.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I got no idea, mjn.mixael. But it does seem VERY odd that a given mod would work one day but not another. I'm downloading a few mods right now, will see how they pan out, whether they work or not. MTF.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
It could have to do with the FSO build.  We haven't had a stable release in a while, so hidden bugs may be piling up.  And the bugs may just be more difficult to reproduce since FSO is more mature.  Edge cases can cause weird things.

Hmm. Don't know what I did or did not do, but everything works now. False alarm! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hmm. Don't know what I did or did not do, but everything works now. False alarm! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Yep, just like I was getting. I am not sure why, but I suspect it may have had something to do with changing the build preference settings. I had many mods fail to load, and when I enquired about them a few weeks ago I was told to use a nightly build instead.

That worked.

What is weird is that those mods now run fine with a stable build as well, despite those mods not receiving an update as far as I can tell. Perhaps Knossos is 'remembering' something from the working nightly builds and carrying them over the stable ones. Clever Knossos  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

Yep, just like I was getting. I am not sure why, but I suspect it may have had something to do with changing the build preference settings. I had many mods fail to load, and when I enquired about them a few weeks ago I was told to use a nightly build instead.

That worked.

What is weird is that those mods now run fine with a stable build as well, despite those mods not receiving an update as far as I can tell. Perhaps Knossos is 'remembering' something from the working nightly builds and carrying them over the stable ones. Clever Knossos  :lol:
Why don't we streamline without compromising everything that made the Knossos launcher?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Why don't we streamline without compromising everything that made the Knossos launcher?
[/quote]

Eh? Sorry for sounding dumb but I'm not sure what you mean.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Knossos Wish-List - to make it as noob-friendly as possible:

1)   For Knossos to automatically select the best build for a given mod (I understand this is in the works already?)

2)   For update notes to appear somewhere when a mod has an update available. Either in Knossos itself, or a link to a thread or wiki entry.

3)   Tooltips or text to indicate some of the terms, such ‘Stable, RC, nightly’ etc. This would be very useful for newcomers.

4)   To clean up some of the duplicate mods, or show a ‘most advanced version’ option. For example: FSPort, if played via the FSPort icon, is a very old version. If you play the FS1 campaign by choosing the Freespace campaign from the campaign room of a newer mod, you get a far more up-to-date version. I worked this out by trial end error, but a newbie may not know how to do this.

5)   An easy way to integrate the new HD cutscenes, possibly with a checkbox or similar so players can choose between vanilla and the HD remakes.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
4 and 5 are there fault of mod owners and I strongly feel it is outside the scope of Knossos to start policing mod content.

As for 2... The next person to suggest that Knossos is responsible for mod changelogs is getting modeled as one of the Marines in Hall Fight so get can be brutally murdered. Mods will provide changelogs if they want. It hasn't historically been a thing that most mods have done with the possible exception of FSCRP releases. Knossos already provides a description field and thread link field where modders can include anything they want. If you want mods to start writing changelogs, you need to ask the authors for them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:24:35 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
4 and 5 are there fault of mod owners and I strongly feel it is outside the scope of Knossos to start policing mod content.

As for 2... The next person to suggest that Knossos is responsible for mod changelogs is getting modeled as one of the Marines in Hall Fight so get can be brutally murdered. Mods will provide changelogs if they want. It hasn't historically been a thing that most mods have done with the possible exception of FSCRP releases. Knossos already provides a description field and thread link field where modders can include anything they want. If you want mods to start writing changelogs, you need to ask the authors for them.

Hi there, thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling rectifying some of these issues would be due to the mod creators, now I know which. I'll bring it up with them.

Please understand that none of this was meant as a dig, I'm simply tying to get HLP and Freespace as accessible as possible for a new audience. I put myself in the shoes of someone who is new and think 'how would they expect things to work.' This is especially true if they are younger and are accustomed to highly visual UIs that 'just work'. The whole 'Knossos experience' is very close to being this, which is a remarkable achievement BTW, so much more intuitive than what we had before. Kudos all round.

Perhaps I should have called it a 'Knossos end-user experience wish-list' as this would have been more accurate. My bad. Most end users of a product will not care who's is responsible for the various parts of a system that makes the product work. They will only care about whether the system as a whole works as expected. For example, if a game on Steam was having issues, most people wouldn't know, or indeed care, whether the problem was with valve of the people who made the game. The end user would be this  :lol: https://youtu.be/xhy7dXWjpAA

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For example, if a game on Steam was having issues, most people wouldn't know, or indeed care, whether the problem was with valve of the people who made the game. The end user would be this  :lol: https://youtu.be/xhy7dXWjpAA

This has never been my experience on Steam... WTF kinda Steam boards have you been on?

Of course Steam lists the publisher and has ways to contact them. Knossos has a link to the release thread, but doesn't (yet) list the mod author anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:57:29 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.2 (combined launcher/installer)
0.13.2 has finally been released. This release fixes a few bugs (most importantly the FSO settings screen doesn't screw with the selected FSO build anymore) and improves a few error messages.
The full changelog is over on GitHub.

Unfortunately, no macOS builds this time since the builds keep failing. Looks like there's an issue with one of the dependencies Knossos uses. Will have to investigate that later...

If anyone still encounters issues with launching mods, please use the "Enforce build requirements for mods" link on the new troubleshooting tab. If some mods have broken images, then that tab has a solution as well.
There are a few changes to the dev tab as well. The buttons on the left are new a bit more organized and you can decide if you want to delete your mod only from your local PC or from Nebula as well.
The dependency screen has been changed to hopefully cause less dependency conflicts in the future. If anyone's wondering, ~0.3.1 means >=0.3.1 && < 0.4.0. It basically means that the first two numbers have to match. In addition to that change, I've added a new note to the OP: If you change your mod dependencies, please change either of the first two version numbers. As long as everyone follows this rule, we shouldn't have any further conflicts.

Please don't ask what happend to 0.13.0 and 0.13.1...

@Stardust: The next time you encounter a similar issue, please provide a debug log. That'll help a lot.
@Iain: The "preferred stability" isn't a global setting to specify whether to use a stable or nightly build... it's a lot more complicated than that. In any case, if you want to check which build Knossos is currently using, the fastest way would be to launch a debug build and check the debug log.

1)   For Knossos to automatically select the best build for a given mod (I understand this is in the works already?)
This was already implemented a long time ago. The problem was that opening the FSO settings screen automatically selected a different build which overrode Knossos' decision. This release fixes that by adding the "Mod default" option to the list of available builds and ensuring that it's selected unless the user actually selected another build before.

2)   For update notes to appear somewhere when a mod has an update available. Either in Knossos itself, or a link to a thread or wiki entry.
We already have a link to the release thread (see the details screen) and uploaders can put changelogs in the mod description (as some already do).

3)   Tooltips or text to indicate some of the terms, such ‘Stable, RC, nightly’ etc. This would be very useful for newcomers.
Ideally, newcomers won't have to worry about this stuff. Since the only place where you'll see this is the "preferred stability" option, I'm not sure how we'd implement a tooltip there. A help text would be much more appropriate. However, most of the other options could also use some explanation.

4)   To clean up some of the duplicate mods, or show a ‘most advanced version’ option. For example: FSPort, if played via the FSPort icon, is a very old version. If you play the FS1 campaign by choosing the Freespace campaign from the campaign room of a newer mod, you get a far more up-to-date version. I worked this out by trial end error, but a newbie may not know how to do this.
I've thought about having moderators (similar to forum mods) who could take of stuff like this but for that to happen, I need to implement some kind of UI for them to use, we'd need volunteers to do the actual work and some kind of rule book. Regarding FSPort: If you read the mod description for both FSPort and FSPort MediaVPs, it's easy to tell which of the two is the "more advanced" version.

5)   An easy way to integrate the new HD cutscenes, possibly with a checkbox or similar so players can choose between vanilla and the HD remakes.
Isn't that already the case? Which mod specifically are you talking about?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:43:08 am by ngld »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Quote from: Iain Baker on 06-10-2018, 08:47:15
4)   To clean up some of the duplicate mods, or show a ‘most advanced version’ option. For example: FSPort, if played via the FSPort icon, is a very old version. If you play the FS1 campaign by choosing the Freespace campaign from the campaign room of a newer mod, you get a far more up-to-date version. I worked this out by trial end error, but a newbie may not know how to do this.
I've thought about having moderators (similar to forum mods) who could take of stuff like this but for that to happen, I need to implement some kind of UI for them to use, we'd need volunteers to do the actual work and some kind of rule book. Regarding FSPort: If you read the mod description for both FSPort and FSPort MediaVPs, it's easy to tell which of the two is the "more advanced" version.

- I realised that a day or two after posting, Doh!

Quote from: Iain Baker on 06-10-2018, 08:47:15
5)   An easy way to integrate the new HD cutscenes, possibly with a checkbox or similar so players can choose between vanilla and the HD remakes.
Isn't that already the case? Which mod specifically are you talking about?

If it does that already I was not aware of it. As an example, 'FSPort MediaVPs' uses the original 'Ash' opening cutscene, where as 'Trimurti' uses the newer HD remaster version. It would be great if there was an easy option to get other mods to use them too, since there are a number of HD remastered cut-scenes now. I'm thinking noob-friendly maximum eye-candy option :-)

Or is this something that the mod creators would need to alter at their end?

Hope I'm making sense.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
@ngld would it be infeasible to detect when a mod changed their dependencies without a corresponding minor bump, and then prevent the mod from being uploaded?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I just decided to fire up FS2 after a while, and figured this would be the way to go about it. I'm getting a critical error, though, here's the log

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.13.2 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.6 (v3.6.6:4cf1f54eb7, Jun 27 2018, 02:47:15) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2o  27 Mar 2018
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating Windows integration...
WARNING:Thread-8:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180725 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-8:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180924 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
ERROR:MainThread:web._get_mod: Couldn't find mod "FS2" (None)!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\web.py", line 244, in _get_mod
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\repo.py", line 216, in query
knossos.repo.ModNotFound: Mod "FS2" wasn't found!
ERROR:MainThread:launcher.my_excepthook: UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION!
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\web.py", line 646, in copyRetailData
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\tasks.py", line 1772, in __init__
INFO:MainThread:ipc.handle_message: Received IPC message ["focus"]
ERROR:MainThread:web._get_mod: Couldn't find mod "FSO" (None)!
knossos.repo.ModNotFound: Mod "FSO" wasn't found!
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/ec/cc/0bf23e028c26d5175ff52d003bff85b0a17b0ddfc1130d65bdf6d36f6324.png"...
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/0d/e7/bf64bcdea9a9c115969cfb784e1ca457d24a7c2da4fc6f213521c3bb6abb.png"...
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/b6/c7/b86704ae47d1c8706c64351aa81442a7bdb983062874c7482df2691e0635"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/ec/cc/0bf23e028c26d5175ff52d003bff85b0a17b0ddfc1130d65bdf6d36f6324.png"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/0d/e7/bf64bcdea9a9c115969cfb784e1ca457d24a7c2da4fc6f213521c3bb6abb.png"...
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/nightly/20181013_842dbb1/nightly_20181013_842dbb1-builds-Win32.zip"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/nightly/20181013_842dbb1/nightly_20181013_842dbb1-builds-Win64.zip"...
WARNING:Thread-20:repo.query: Repo.query(): Expected Spec but got Version instead! (Version('3.8.1-20171118', partial=True))

Maybe it's the new update? Thanks!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I just decided to fire up FS2 after a while, and figured this would be the way to go about it. I'm getting a critical error, though, here's the log

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.13.2 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.6 (v3.6.6:4cf1f54eb7, Jun 27 2018, 02:47:15) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2o  27 Mar 2018
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating Windows integration...
WARNING:Thread-8:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180725 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-8:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180924 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
INFO:MainThread:ipc.handle_message: Received IPC message ["focus"]
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/ec/cc/0bf23e028c26d5175ff52d003bff85b0a17b0ddfc1130d65bdf6d36f6324.png"...
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/0d/e7/bf64bcdea9a9c115969cfb784e1ca457d24a7c2da4fc6f213521c3bb6abb.png"...
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/b6/c7/b86704ae47d1c8706c64351aa81442a7bdb983062874c7482df2691e0635"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/ec/cc/0bf23e028c26d5175ff52d003bff85b0a17b0ddfc1130d65bdf6d36f6324.png"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/0d/e7/bf64bcdea9a9c115969cfb784e1ca457d24a7c2da4fc6f213521c3bb6abb.png"...
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/nightly/20181013_842dbb1/nightly_20181013_842dbb1-builds-Win32.zip"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/nightly/20181013_842dbb1/nightly_20181013_842dbb1-builds-Win64.zip"...
WARNING:Thread-20:repo.query: Repo.query(): Expected Spec but got Version instead! (Version('3.8.1-20171118', partial=True))

Maybe it's the new update? Thanks!
What of total-conversions?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...