Author Topic: Freespace 2: First Person Shooter  (Read 46427 times)

Freespace 2: First Person Shooter
If the company says its easy, then I believe em. If the first one was even easier, then I will believe the next one will. If not, then I will try and maybe live up to everyones expectations and fail. Who knows. All I would LIKE to do at this moment is stop all the goddamn flaming and get down to some designs.

Mission 1)

Any ideas folks? My first thought was:

You start off with about 3 assortments of weapons, and about 5 squadmates, all on board an Aten cruiser after docking with it to obtain information dealing with the Hammer of Light. This will be kind of like Metroid Prime, where you start off with about 1/4 of the equipment with the game, and you start off basically practicing a few minor skills. Then, you and your squad pair up, blast the doors for the docking bay, and then lead an assault on the Vasudans in the engine room. You work your way through connector halls, eventually going through the entrenched Vasudan positions, and then reaching the bridge. You kill one of the officers, the other two surrender, and the leader surrenders. Job well done. Or IS it? The commander looks like he is going to kneel, but instead hits a switch on a control pannel, and you hear a whinning noise and then an explosion blows you back from the bridge and about 13 feet into a connector hall. You hear explosions, and the ship is going to blow up. You have to run back to the transport and then get the hell out of there. After that, the main campaign begins.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
How about training gauntlets?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline diamondgeezer

I don't see the appeal in blasting up Vasudans

I don't see the appeal in blasting up Vasudans

Wherever there is a MOD of a game, people will ***** HEAVILY if there is not a certain thing in there. Shooting terrans and shivans only will probably get repetative because they all look the same. if there arent Vasduans SOMEWHERE in the game, then people will get mad, and where there is mad people there are often delays in the game.

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
the Mod Should take place during The Great War. cause You get to fight Vasudans, There's the Terran traitor you can Recapture, and there's the Shivans you get to duke it out with. and you can always continue on towards the FS2 Campaign in whichever way you desire.

K!
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

OR, we could:

Have 2 campaign, the Great War, and the Current FS2. When you finish the Great War, then you can select the FS2 Current campaign. That way, everyone is happy, ok?

Offline redmenace

we could of course have conflicts with the NTF, HoL, Vasudans, Shivans, boarding operations, and so on. in addition to a regular campaign you can have historical campaigns also. Also in the FS2 I am sure they boarded and captured shivans.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

I highly doubt any attempt was made, because in all missions it was "assault this, blow this up, and defend this" with no questions asked. But then again, we can always just "deviate" from normal, FS2 schedule...

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well Unknown Target you are right about me not having a mod YET but that is only because I have no ideea were to start first.
I tried but FAILED miserably so for now i'm stuck tring to rewrite and piecetogheter mi own campaign story wich  is quite big.
I have writen over 200 pages of it in english and me beeing from a non english speaking countriyou can imagine the work tring to be as corect speling wise as posible and that thing is only half done.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Thanks for covering me Alpha One during that small confrontation with all the more immature folks of HLPBB.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
GO TIN CAN GO :rolleyes:

Hint: No one gives a **** about your post count. Your E-Penis is not interesting.
lol wtf

And that means... what?

What a n00b...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 10:53:05 am by 1718 »

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Perhaps your postcount was dropped for a reason? No one is really interested in postcounts anyways, and your "Real Postcount" looks quite ridiculous, so to say.

:lol: @ "n00b" comment.
lol wtf

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
This must be at least the 5th time someone has tried to start a Freespace FPS project.
Hell, I've done it twice myself.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
If I had a part in this...this thread would be closed!!  If you want to make a freespace FPS then do it and find peole who would help you.  All that is happening here is arguing and pointless flame wars...Helloooo...like it's going anywhere."doubt:  Who cares what other people say about the idea if you really want to do it, then do it and stop the ****ing flaming or close the thread.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
And it isnt AvP, its AvP2. AvP is really old, and havent played it. I dont think they even have a map editor out for it, do they? :wtf:

I just suggested that 'cos it had more atmosphere than the sequel (though the sequel was better in most other ways)

Haven't played either for ages, as it happens. I might try and get 'em on a budget label.

Theren are tools for AvP, but as you say, it is dated.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

IMO, the second has the most atmosphere, however, I havent played the first but I have seen screenshots and its hella old. ;7

But there are many conflicts (that I just learned) that would making MODing it nearly impossible. The guys at R&D figured out animations are impossible, or nearly impossible to make, so, having someone doing complex motions in nearly out of the question. That's why I wanted to wait for Half Life 2 to come out. I am actually starting to mess around with the original and I figured out how much you can do to it. Hell, a good example is "Natural Selection". They did an excellent job.

And when did my post count come in again? That was at another topic, and since it got closed, just let it die with it. I dont even know why he brang it up.

IF, and thats a big IF, you guys want me to, I can use DEdit to lay out a fairly basic idea of what I had in mind for a room on the first mission. Keep in mind, I'll just make a room to simulate some atmosphere and basic structure. However, when I had the idea of putting in an engine room, that will be no cake walk. Think of this:

Anyone own Time Splitters 2? Think of it as the "Extra Large" tileset square for the industrial theme. That big... Basically poles, towers, beams, ramps, machinery, everything. But unless anyone wants to keep adding to the conversation, I can post when I have something actually done. I guess I'll start up DEdit and get a sorta-representative level going on there.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Why not UT2k4 while you're at it?

:nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

I dont have the map editor for it... :nervous:

And I also dont think I could learn to make things with it in the time I could just do it with DEdit.

Alrighty folks. I went ahead and stumbled across an ambient hallway I made for the guys at Game Gossip: R&D Sector. It was intended to be VERY atmospheric and scare the **** outta ya. It still does. But regardless, here is a GOOD idea of something I could have made up in the DEdit map editor. When you look at the difference, its pretty significant.

Aliens Vs Predator 2: Custom Level
---------------------------------

Half Life 2 Level Picture:
-----------------------

Half Life 2 Outside Picture:
-------------------------

As I said, you can see a form of significant difference in detail paid towards the Half Life engine. Textures and so on and very scarce and very hard to work with on games because its limited to mapping the Geometry you currently have set. If that is the case, then this game can present more advanced texturing abilities. Just trust me on it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 09:57:13 am by 1718 »