Author Topic: Freespace 2: First Person Shooter  (Read 46416 times)

Freespace 2: First Person Shooter
Ah, that clears that up. Well, I would consider it, but I am less familiar with Doom 3, already have a pre-copy coming in, the community is wide, and its easier to tweak then Doom 3 would be. Besides, I don't like really scarry games like this one would be. I'd probably soil myself... :D

But Half Life 2 look just as good, only the environments are less eerie, and they pay less atention to detail then the guys at Half Life 2, who worry more about running the game then making it look pretty. Doom 3 will require a Radeon 9700 or higher to run, and I know there are some, (or most) who do not have that kinda power in their computer. Whoever mentioned Half Life 2 above, I thank you for the idea and that is exactly what I plan to use.

I never thought I would actually see this idea coming together. :wtf:

But, then I guess that means I'm the project director, eh? Sweet...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
NO HALF LIFE ENGINE - I will refuse to play it if you use the balls sucking halflife engine
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Ok, and um... WHY is it that the Half Life 2 Source Engine is not acceptable to you Kazan?

You give me 5 good reasons why and I'll accept your argument as something worth discussing...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 10:30:58 am by 1718 »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
A) The Half-Life 1 Engine blows goat nads
B) The Half-Life 2 Engine is not out yet, and if it's anything like the HL1 engine it will blow goat nads

You remind me much of myself - a long time ago in a far away galaxy when I started Unholy Alliance

Except I had an origional idea at the time that I have seen copied in lest ambitious campaigns since.

You seem stuck on e-penis++ and trying to get everyone's attention and trying to become one of the Powers in the FS2 community.  this will never happen until you stop trying to do e-penis++

I dont have time to get into a pissing contest with you Kazan. You can't even present a valid point on this thread, so dont post anything if there's nothing worth discussing. I've already taken enough **** from people like you and frankly I dont need any more.

Back on topic. Half Life 2's release date is set at April 2004, but that was said on February 3, 2004. I think Valve said they were pushing it back to about Summer, or even Fall if things get out of hand.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 10:51:38 am by 1718 »

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by Kazan
A) The Half-Life 1 Engine blows goat nads
B) The Half-Life 2 Engine is not out yet, and if it's anything like the HL1 engine it will blow goat nads

You remind me much of myself - a long time ago in a far away galaxy when I started Unholy Alliance

Except I had an origional idea at the time that I have seen copied in lest ambitious campaigns since.

You seem stuck on e-penis++ and trying to get everyone's attention and trying to become one of the Powers in the FS2 community.  this will never happen until you stop trying to do e-penis++

Kazan, in all fairness, he's just proposing an Idea.

I think we should support him if he wants to take on such a project. I really don't see how this infringes upon what you've done.

And I really don't see what would be wrong with someone becoming one of the "Powers in the FS2 community". And there would not be much of a community without mutual support. I mean, look at the support and help people are trying to give you with Ferrium and other projects.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Vale after what happened, but I haven't seen their product. I really think D3 engine would be cool, but I really don't know much about it. Since Tin Can is looking into it, and wants to head it up, why can't he choose?
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Thanks Man. :yes:

Here's something I dug up from Valve. It's their MOD faq for Half Life 2. Quite an interesting piece of work here. Check it out.

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?faq=source_mod_faq

Ill post some interesting facts about it:

-------------------------------------------

The Map Editor for Half Life 2 is the Valve Hammer Editor

This is what they will use for modeling:
"We use XSI. We're working with Softimage to release a free version of XSI over Steam*. We will provide exporters for XSI, 3DS Max, and Maya.

We’ll also package up all of the custom Half-Life 2 XSI add-ons and make them freely available to people who are already using XSI.

* It will probably be available through some non-Steam delivery method as well."

-------------------------------------------

Anyone who wants to look into anything that has to do with MODing this sucker to the bone should really check this FAQ out. I'll ask Valve for any questions regarding something they havent covered.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I didn't say he infringed on what I did - was make making a comparision

Tin Can: I am not going to explain every reason why the HL engine sucks - firsto f all the visuals BLEH, second network stack, BLEH, etc

You are unwise to dismiss what I am saying

Fractux: also I never said becoming a Power was a bad thing - I just said I sense in him the _intent_ and as long as you _intend_ to become a power you never will

:rolleyes: Have you seen the screenshots for Half Life 2? I'm guessing not, but you really should if you think that the visuals will be "bleh". I didnt say we were using the orignial, I said we were using HL2, with the number "2" after it.

And I've gone over the network and it's freakin great for HL2. Check out that FAQ and it will tell you all the technics you need.

I dont know what Valve did that made everyone so upset, or where they messed up, but I'd be glad to know.

And I'm sure calling me an "e-penis" really works on everyone else for getting their attention huh? :rolleyes: You have some weird form of getting around to people...

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
I'm all for FS2 FPS, but as long as Half-Life 2 isn't publish, you shouldn't praise it because you've seen pics. If you wish to do so, do so. But be a bit careful when praising yet unpublished game from earth till high heavens.

A lot of games have looked excellent and, as released, have
A) looked and been excellent
B) looked excellent, been disappointments
C) looked actually more terrible than camel spider zombie pirate embryos and gameplay has been something along the lines "press button --> crash!!"

Guess which one is the smallest group of those three?
Spoiler:
It's the A.
lol wtf

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
screenshots are not everything - you can improve the visual quality without improving the underlying product - and especially it's cheatability

what they FAQ says doesn't always tell you enough information - they're not going to mention things like 'Oh, you can still cheat as easily as a script kiddie in this version as well"

Rotfl calling you and e-penis - do you even know what an e-penis is?  It's a reference to people who like to postcount++ acting like a larger postcount means a larger dick

I have been rather forgiving of you in the past as you hadn't really annoyed me as much as i've heard you annoy most of the other people

asking for them to explain things which you can read in a FAQ, asking them to explain any little thing, assuming you know better than people who have much more expirience than you, etc

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead

I don't really think this looks too excellent. In fact, it looks pretty cheap.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
the playermodels are 1/4 decent, the terrain sucks

Yet another product from valve to lower the expectation of game users everywhere
[edit] looked at full size.. there is ALIASING... blatant unforgiven aliasing in a _line_ .. hello it doesn't take FSAA to antialias a line - we've had line antialiasing for eons

The screenshot was enlarged, so as to give you the full picture. I'll give ya a screenshot of the same thing they took. However, the movie was blurred because it was needed to record everything the guys who were speaking as well as the crowd, and also the movie. You can't really get picture perfect quality with that sort of equipment running.

But, Half Life 2 has been delayed so many times, with so many upgrades being produced for it, and if it sucked then I'm sure it's fans would be disapointed like they were with Deus Ex: Invisible War's graphics. (Xbobx Graphics... meh...)

But, since all of you seem to be out to get me in this general case, let me try and fail, so that then you can rub it in my face later on. I'm sure it would be so much more satisfying.

What does cheating have to do with MODing a game? Nothing...

And besides all of that, you guys are looking at an ALPHA for the game for gods sake. ITS AN ALPHA! And usually Alpha's tend to look better then they really are. But other then that, I loved the original Half Life, and that's why people still play it regardless of graphical quality. Counterstrike has more players then Starcraft and Battlefield 1942 combined. MORE then that even. It just keeps going up.

assuming you know better than people who have much more expirience than you, etc

Where the hell do you get off telling me I said that? I'm sure it will be some cheap-ass excuse such as "it was that post over there you put up a long time ago." Even so, EVERYONE seems to mix up everything I say, in such a case if I said something such as "great job, keep it up" people would take that for "OMG! THIS SUX! I HOPE YOU DIE!" I thought adults were supposed to act more their age, not degrading people left and right.

Im going to keep up on this project and, as I said, get all my **** together and then get on the ball with this. You dont have to play it or help, but I dont want to hear any bull**** from you that wont get me anywhere except flaming on the boards. I dont have time for this, and I dont think the admins have the patience to delete every goddamn post from here all the way back just because you guys cant keep your mouth shut.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Citing Counterstrike as something good isn't going to get you anywhere with me - that is the biggest community of wannabie script kiddies without the skills to actually play a decent game

The fact that there is line aliasing in a CINEMATIC is really freaking PATHETIC -- Metroid Prime on the Game Cube has better graphics (of course it's powered by [an older] radeon)
Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance on Game Cube has better graphics - heck my girlfriends freaking Harry potter game has better graphics

Red Faction has better graphics than that CINEMATIC

You know - you ASSUME i am attacking you for the same reason as the others - but you haven't the slightest clue what is going through my mind

the fact that you have a "Real Post Count (Updated every so often): x" in your sig is enough to prove you're just out to e-penis++ (ie postcount++)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 01:33:29 pm by 30 »

Here's a little something for the children who arent happy with anything they get.

the fact that you have a "Real Post Count (Updated every so often): x" in your sig is enough to prove you're just out to e-penis++ (ie postcount++)

And that matters... how?

Just shut up and let me put my thing down. You can ***** at me later.

PS: Those graphics are not cinematic. Those are in-game smart ass...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Those two screenshots are no more impressive than the one lightspeed posted

Then just SHUT THE HELL UP and let me suffer. You can watch quietly and talk all you want behind my back, I dont give a ****. Telling me this is a bad idea because HL2 sucks is not helping at all. Go find some girl scout to harrass... you stay inside way too much...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I really hate to say this, but give the guy a break peeps, it's not as if he's asking you to do anything for him.

I don't like jumping in the firing line, but he's actually listened to what we said, he's going to start it himself, so leave him to make or break the hard way, same as the rest of us? He might amaze us all, he might live up to exactly your expectations, but either way, he deserves a shot ;) (And no Kaz, not to the head ;) )

TC You won't get much help on Max6 here, you're best bet is to browse the Readme's and tutorials that plaster the Internet, Anyone here who knows how to use Max6 will be too busy modding I'm afraid. Also, that's how they learnt their stuff ;)