Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 281956 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
:wtf: They don't rotate unless you specify pof data afterward for the subsystem. The Converter's not responsible for that...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Not the job for the converter!???

PCS is a converter AND properties editor, the same as Modelview. Now this 3dsmax plugin will be completely useless inreguard to intricate model creation, if it dioesn't have its own properties editor. Of course, even if the final version of the plugin is finished without a properties editor, the POF's will suck [no rotation, engine glows, blinky lites (3.6 feature), multipart turrets] unless PCS and Modelview are able to successfully add properties to thos POF's without crashing or corrupting the POF.

So far I haven't been able to edit any POF's created with the plugin with either PCS (crashes and corrupts) or Modelview (poly limit).

So I think is an important issue that should be looked into. Otherwise, the plugin makes FABULOUS translations of 3dsmax models into FSO.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Well, I won't make a properties editor, but I'll try to add as many features through the object properties on MAX... The rotation and light timing, for example, will be done through specific strings on the user properties. I didn't have time to do it yet, though, but it should be done as soon as I get some more free time to work on it.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Multiparts are supported, glowpoints are supported, engine glows are supported, etc.  They need a couple of things added for full functionality, but the setup is there.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

What is the limit to the number of subobjects and turrets I can incorporate? I have a total of 23 for the Galaxy class model 10 of which are turret models, and the export crashes Max!!!

I wanted to finish my first Max plugin conversion tonite but I hit this stumbling block.

The original Truespace model that was successfully converted infto FSO included MUCH more than 23 subobjects. I counted 34 for the turret models alone.

Like the original, I'd like to make the Phaser arcs turret models so i can incorporate their damage models vs applying turret firing points without models/damage.

Are model subsystems suported?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 11:08:55 pm by 1582 »

I just found that models made with this plugin will not resave in Modelview. Modelview so far is the only POF editor that has an important editor called "moment of inertia".

Styxx, Is it a difficult task to incorporate a way to input moment of inertia settings? Otherwise, fighters cannot be made using this plugin unless people like having their fighters flung wildly from every beam or turret hit.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Er.... I don't seem to be getting any pof output using this at the mo.  I'm just trying to export (as a test) a cube, and the *.log files but nothing else is being output.  No error messages, or anything.

What version 3dsMax r u using? Did you look at the sample scene that came with the plugin? Try converting that first.

A couple things you need to make sure of. The cube must be collapsed into an "editable mesh". It MUST have a texture under diffuse. Is it named "detail-0"?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 11:15:36 am by 1582 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
name was wrong, re testing

EDIT; generated pof file (which won't open in modelview/PCS), max crashed upon(?) completon of generation.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:09:58 pm by 181 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Styxx warned me of something like that... try double checking the readme file...

One of the output windows doesn't do what you'd think it does... IIRC. (My ICQ logs have been erased, so I can't double check)

Raa,  I've been exporting with all checked marked. What issues have you been encountering with the plugin (besides the occassional crash).

I think I may have a problem with models having collission issues. I was warned that if the sun flickers through the model in game, that there are errors in the mesh.

Beamsalso seems to be another issue, since many times it would pass right through the ships yet pulse and missiles don't. I've yet to isolate whether or not the beam bug is caused by models made from this plugin or the FSO code.

C'mon folks let give Styxx more input of what we're experiencing if we want a perfected version of this plugin. Also root for some mass/moment of inertia settings :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I haven't actually used it yet. I was just recalling what styxx was telling me on ICQ about it. But there have been releases since then, so it may have been fixed.

I rarely run 3ds, since its requirements are a bit more than my PC has, ATM.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I got it to convert without having any of the  options checked, seems ok (can open, edit and save in modelview), but I need to check whether the shading is off (this is possibly the model itself, though).  Unfortunately, it appears that the subobject shading problems still exist :(

EDIT; yeah, looks like the LOD shading is done correctly, just a minor model thingie :)  Thank god, I finally have 45 degree smoothing ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 01:11:23 pm by 181 »

Whats really great about this is 3dsmax's smoothgroup information is carried over. FORGET auto-faceting, you now have FULL controll over what gets smoothed and where edges should be.

The subobject shading bug?! It renders perfectly for me. Checkout the previous pages of this thread. Modelview does show issues, but in game it looks perfect.

I still don't know exactly how to adjust pivot orientation, or orientation of normals. After experimenting, I stumbled on fixing the "reverse shading" issue showed previously.

Whats really great about its

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
The pof exporter failed to load when i tried to start up MAX 4.2.
 I got a "DLL " type error.

I beleive someone else has already reported this problem.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Sorry, but I have no way of verifying that problem - I don't have that version of MAX. I'll look into the Moment of Inertia thing when I have time, didn't have any to work on it lately.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
MOI is a rotation matrix so if you are going to give it a default value set it to an identity matrix.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Styxx
Sorry, but I have no way of verifying that problem - I don't have that version of MAX. I'll look into the Moment of Inertia thing when I have time, didn't have any to work on it lately.

I've not encountered it since using the latest version, myself.  If it's the double load thing (think Omni posted it on page 2), then you can just tag & load it manually.

Incidentally, RE: MOI, I can load max2pof converted models ok in Modelview and edit it there, fortunately.

Thank you

I was scared I would have to use truespace

"You can take my 3dmax from my cold.... dead.... hands..."
Matris Games
Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

LMAO