Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908331 times)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
I keep forgetting to ask this...
What does the team think is best lighting setting for playing WiH?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Whatever works for you. The settings recommended in mediavps release topic work well.

Offline Darius

Fury once suggested having desaturation post-processing applied to all missions to help set the mood. Combine that with ultra-dark settings and...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Fury once suggested having desaturation post-processing applied to all missions to help set the mood. Combine that with ultra-dark settings and...
Case in point. This screenshot was taken with desaturation and film grain post-processing effects during WiH development.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Oh wow. I have to admit, that coupled with the shockwave effects from ED would look pretty cool.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Holy ****. :eek2:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
There are a bunch of sample lighting settings that you guys can try out over here. I originally used Spidey's, until I was convinced by QD to revert to default light settings to capture ship images for the Wiki, and since I'm too lazy to keep switching light settings all the time, I'm now using the default light settings only.

For a time, a lot of people (I think) used Herra Tohtori's. Even I used it, until I realised that a small glitch caused the game to read Word documents off reflected surfaces... :lol:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I just got done playing this release of BP and I must say that one level really freaked me out!  I'm not going to say which one so I don't spoil anything, but I personally think the developers could really make one heck of a nice fear mod for FS that could top Transcend.  Only question I have about the mod is why it wasn't fully voiced like the last?  I mean, some acknowledgements were voiced, aside from the ones that were left over from the game itself, but that was it.  None of the chats were voiced at all!  Anyone else noticed this?
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Ah...Well, then forget I asked about the voicing, but I still stand on what I said before.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
There are a bunch of sample lighting settings that you guys can try out over here. I originally used Spidey's, until I was convinced by QD to revert to default light settings to capture ship images for the Wiki, and since I'm too lazy to keep switching light settings all the time, I'm now using the default light settings only.

For a time, a lot of people (I think) used Herra Tohtori's. Even I used it, until I realised that a small glitch caused the game to read Word documents off reflected surfaces... :lol:
I know about that page and its really useful, too. :yes:
I was more looking for a BP specific lighting setting. The optimal lighting setting so to speak to show off the team's work but still look very dark and cool.

No matter, I can fiddle around with settings some more.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ah...Well, then forget I asked about the voicing, but I still stand on what I said before.

Voice acting the campaign would have held up release by probably more than a year; possibly more like two years. We decided to release without VA the first time around.

The script is several hundred pages long and probably far outstrips that of either the retail campaign or AoA in length.

Yikes, does that mean 2012 for VA'd WiH?  :( Well once you have a stable of goto actors could you do the VA work parallel to the game development for the other acts?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Yikes, does that mean 2012 for VA'd WiH?  :( Well once you have a stable of goto actors could you do the VA work parallel to the game development for the other acts?
Say it ain't so! You're going to make the rabbit cry.

I mean campaigns without voice acting is like french fries without ketchup... sure you can have em plain, but the ketchup just makes them so much better!

I think GB means that voice acting WOULD HAVE delayed WIH so that's why they didn't wait until VA before release.  That makes perfect sense to me,  but that does not mean R2 is the only thing that matters... oh and that VA thing we are going to crank out in 2012. I mean right?  heh...right?!?

Don't scare me like that...  :(
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Meh, ketchup sucks. And French fries aren't French.

VA is nothing much than the icing on the cake to me. Awesome to have, but the cake (be it a lie or not) remains just as tasty without it :)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Still, that's food.  The only problem I see with not having the VA is finding time to read all that chat in the middle of a dogfight, you know?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We're moving on it in parallel to R2 development. It'll get done when it's done.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
We're moving on it in parallel to R2 development. It'll get done when it's done.

Yes.  Hopefully before the end of 2011.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Man, I'm not sure I can wait that long for Acts 3-5!  The ending of WiH leaves you at a cliff hangar!  I hate it when that happens! :shaking:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Release of R2 is independent of progress on voice acting. We're making rapid progress on that as well but we're not ready to set a timeframe. We ended up beating our early projections for R1, so we're just not going to make any for R2!