Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190250 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
The SCP exe's aren't really a huge problem I do believe. I've gotten Derelict to work with both MediaVPs 3.6.12 and SCP 3.6.12 Inferno AT THE SAME TIME. Unless of course, a mod is specifically designed for a very specific version of the SCP exe's and only that version.

wat

Why would using the 3.6.12 MediaVPs with a 3.6.12 build be a problem...? Inferno builds aren't used for running Inferno; they should really have a different name.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Derelict doesn't actually 'work' with the 3.6.12 MVPs; there's a mission in there that's b0rked by beam fade. I hit it a while back. That mission with the cruisers and the beam cannon.

and Infamus, the only problems with running mods on SCP/MVPs would be:

* running a mod that requires newer mediavps on older mediavps.
* running some older mods on the 3.6.12 MediaVPs which break some aspects of compatibility, like the aforementioned beam fade.

If you aren't sure about some aspect of the engine (and from your posting history, this happens a lot) feel free to ask.

Although, if you were replying to Deadly In A Shadow's post, he wasn't talking about compatibility at all- he was making a comment about the increasing use of HTL models and resource-intensive graphics.

I've gotten Derelict to work with both MediaVPs 3.6.12 and SCP 3.6.12 Inferno AT THE SAME TIME.

FS works well with the 3.6.12 MVPs and 3.6.12 FSO because they were pretty much designed to work together. The identical version number should have tipped you off. The newer FSO builds (such as 3.6.12, compared to 3.6.10) don't add much load at all compared to what the CPU goes through trying to render the MediaVPs, so running them AT THE SAME TIME is not really special at all.

And then there's Antipodes 6, which is just awesome.

Offline -Sara-

Wondered if the GTVA or UEF ever pondered on making a U-Boat, which 'submerges' in subspace and pops out. That'd be freaky, to have ships waiting at exactly the right spot without having to calculate a jump, reduce speed etc.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I've toyed with the idea of a "submarine" tactical role, a ship that's mainly drives, popping in and out of subspace to attack and evade, but so far as we know it's not possible to simply sit in subspace.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've toyed with the idea of a "submarine" tactical role, a ship that's mainly drives, popping in and out of subspace to attack and evade

It's the Atreus!

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Wondered if the GTVA or UEF ever pondered on making a U-Boat, which 'submerges' in subspace and pops out. That'd be freaky, to have ships waiting at exactly the right spot without having to calculate a jump, reduce speed etc.

And how would you fight that? Subspace inhibitors?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
SSMs that blow up in subspace!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
And how would you fight that? Subspace inhibitors?

Be quick on the draw, and have good beam coverage.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not any different from anything they faced in the Second Incursion really.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
This Music would be good I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwl-31afEc&feature=related

Would fit a situation where a really BIG ship (shivan heheh) exits subspace and fires on every other vessel nearby. Or something like a desperate battle situation :yes:

And this music, its from Crysis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51solWn8Z4
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:53:55 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
One of the best video-game soundtracks (and the best song of it). Jeremy Soule is one hell of a composer.

But I still hope that the Sunshine OST will find a place somewhere (especially 'The surface of the Sun') :nervous:

EDIT: The Total Annihilation (great game btw :D ) OST (also done by Mr. Soule) is also pure enjoyment.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:03:04 am by T-LoW »
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Infamus

I only listened to about 10 second of both and already I like them.

oh another sugestion: Keep Hope alive by The Crystal Method. Yes it has lyrics, but I know for sure that you BP storyline guys, as much as you have done with the accepted unofficial/non-canon Foxtrot Sierra Three, you should be able to implement it somewhere.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd like to toss in a more reasonable and sane vote and say you can probably dig through your Steam files for Alien Swarm's Timor_Battle and make good use of that somewhere. There's got to be a run for it or interception mission in need of a soundtrack. :P

A Feddie Story

I would like to see more ships exploding, and less ships jumping out.

Offline -Norbert-

Destroy their engines and they'll blow up.
Even in Delenda Est you can - theoretically anyway - destroy all Deimos corvettes, though I only managed to get three as my best outcome on very easy....

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
The Deimos corvettes in The Blade Itself don't run away...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I would like to see more ships exploding, and less ships jumping out.

Shoot out the engines and they won't jump out! You can't blame them for being sensible (except for cases where you can blame us for guardianing them  :nervous:)

There is, in fact, a general rule of thumb for when a ship is allowed to jump out - we require that it not have performed a jump recently (usually within the span of the mission for most ship types; some advanced classes can recharge very rapidly.)

There may still be a few irritatingly guardianed engines, but in Delenda Est for example you can get most of the engines if you're very dedicated.

And yeah in general we really wanted to avoid having multi-thousand-man crews blowing up left and right.

They only recently jumped in. The Triteia on the other hand has better subspace agility.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:02:25 am by General Battuta »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

That's more of a tech demo than canon... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

That's more of a tech demo than canon... :nervous:

It's perfectly canon, and plays into Delenda Est in a pretty key way. See above for why the corvettes don't jump out.

I am against changing the "ships try to jump out to save themselves"-tactics. It may feel frustrating when they do - but that's war for you. Even more importantly - it feels increadibly good when you DO get one of those little bastard's engines down.

Which is actually one thing that I think WiH2 would really profit from: Give bonusses when you achieve something like that. Only crippling a ship may lead to that ship appearing in another mission, or being able to foil some strategy and maybe even completely change some missions.