Author Topic: RELEASE: GTGs Prominence  (Read 56674 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Starting a gunship (needs a name)
I like the style.
Try adding a couple more details on the sides just to break the monotony.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I may add some smallish details (flat greebling, vents, mostly 2D stuff), but most of the "shell" is going to be taken up by a heavy panelling texture since there's really not much there but armor. Windows will be present in certain sections as well. But none of this (panel lines, windowed areas) really merits polygons of its own since it an be done with normal maps.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Personally it feels a little too brick-like, but the layout has potential.  I think it needs something to break up the silhouette monotony.  I suggest giving it a few outer armor shells/jackets/skirts/whatev.  Of course, this is coming from the one who made possibly the most jacketed ship ever, who in no way has a bias towards armor jackets.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm.

I could sort of see something like this having a place in the Crimson Skies project....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Small indented fringe at the top of the side armor belts with lights in it like the Deimos. (Also useable on the apparent bridge structure. For extra points, don't have it on the back and taper the indent out to meet the regular thickness of the back.) Side turrets on raised platforms so if you want to stick with the popup look it's clear that the turrets do not represent weak spots in the armor belt, but are housed in areas that were built over the belt.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Looks like some sort of concussion rifle if you ask me :P

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ok, me wants now.
But I still feel it could use more skirt layers (look at the FD Vexor).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Personally it feels a little too brick-like, but the layout has potential.  I think it needs something to break up the silhouette monotony.  I suggest giving it a few outer armor shells/jackets/skirts/whatev.  Of course, this is coming from the one who made possibly the most jacketed ship ever, who in no way has a bias towards armor jackets.

Not sure about the armor jackets. The look I'm going for is really the single "sheet" of armor surrounding the topside of the ship (That said, the armor jackets look pure win on the Solaris so I may keep it in mind).

Small indented fringe at the top of the side armor belts with lights in it like the Deimos. (Also useable on the apparent bridge structure. For extra points, don't have it on the back and taper the indent out to meet the regular thickness of the back.)

Not sure what you mean there. If I'm interpreting correctly- I am actually going to put windowed areas in places on the armor sheath (around control towers, near the front, and some in the back), but I don't think they warrant actually indenting the geometry. I'm really going for the 'smooth' look when it comes to the armor sheath, so most of the details are going to be painted on.

Side turrets on raised platforms so if you want to stick with the popup look it's clear that the turrets do not represent weak spots in the armor belt, but are housed in areas that were built over the belt.

The turrets are going to be in areas where something else is behind the armor, and the texture (and some small popup geometry, but not nearly as large as the turret) will indicate that there's even more armor around those areas.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Thats a very cool gunship, which program did you use to model it?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Thats a very cool gunship, which program did you use to model it?

Wings3D

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I'd been using Truespace for a long time, since it was the only thing I knew how to work with. Downloaded Wings3D a couple months ago, made the TF Ion model, and I'd never go back to TS now. <3 Wings3D

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Wings does seem to be a good program, but when I've given it a quick test or two, I found it to be rather odd in its modeling approach (I could also say the same of SketchUp). The only program to date I've found to be truly easy to get going places with is AC3D, which I own and would highly recommend buying if you can spare about $80 USD.

In regards to the gunship, it is a bit boxy, but I would like to see more of it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:41:02 pm by General Battuta »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The main body of the ship reminds me of a pistol slide, so I can understand why you'd call it a gun ship... :P

As for a name for the ship itself.. well, since your basing the names of your fighters on particles, you could try naming a few of your ships on molecules, elements, alloys, or maybe a physics concept or two?

For some reason, Benzene and aspirin come to mind... I don't know why.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:41:10 pm by z64555 »
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Aspirin? Certainly you mean acetylsalicylic acid. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Aspirin? Certainly you mean acetylsalicylic acid. :P

Thats the one, Lol.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
i kinda like the design, but i think the armor should have some small holes, where you can see the underlying structure.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
i kinda like the design, but i think the armor should have some small holes, where you can see the underlying structure.
Does that not defeat the purpose of armour?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Does that not defeat the purpose of armour?

Probably. Depends on the size of the holes ( and i said small), and what's beneath the armour.
Very vulnerable areas should be covered, fuel tanks, reactor, CnC, crewquarters, toilets.
Having a few holes would break the monotony a bit.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I was just messing with you. Good looks > realism.

However, personally, I like the real smooth look on it.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it