Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421409 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yeah, stretched the whole ship out a bit to make it not appear as stubby as before. Which somehow gives it a better sense of scale too.

Also, for what its worth, I made a dev blog update on moddb. (But it probably doesn't tell you guys a lot of new that you haven't already heard here)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LoneFan

Well it certainly has been beautified and with more details visible is definitely more intimidating. 

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Long on the agenda to be visually updated, the Zy's fighters (Not to be confused with the Z fighters)
All done now, the latest that got finished is the Zy Nocturnal. Here is how it appeared in old wod's stranded.

And this is the new remade model (by Axem) and retextured (By me).

Urutorahappī!!

Going for that bright red stealth aesthetic, eh?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
oooh, errr.. never got around to playing stranded  :nervous: Was the Nocturnal supposed to be a stealth fighter, 'coz I think it looks pretty schmick, and the red racing stripes suit it :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Going for that bright red stealth aesthetic, eh?
clearly they went to the Naruto School of Stealth
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
clearly they went to the Naruto School of Stealth
Believe it
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's a deliberate choice for gameplay to give it some visual cue. Not being able to target a ship is kind of a pain in the butt to begin with, having it be pitch black on a black background on top of that is just mean.

I'm considering to make the red parts into glowmaps for it actually, Because I never subscribed to the 'no ambient lighting is immersive' school of thought that some people on hlp seem to enjoy so much. I very much enjoy seeing what I'm shooting at.

Then again, can't really beat freespace's giant particle spews on damaged ships for visibility.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline LoneFan

Yeah, I remember the Pegasus mission in FS2. It was actually a good thing the mission took place in nebula, it would have been cruel otherwise. And I cant tell you how many times I would have passed up an enemy fighter if it wasn't bracketed. 

Huh, wouldn't the standard WoD bright and thick engine trails kinda fix most issues with poor visibility? They're super useful for tracking untargeted or stealth ships.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Trying to make these dev posts a semi regular thing so everyone can stay under the illusion something is happening up to date on the progress.

First off some bug hunting, turns out there has been a naughty bug hiding in the multilock code with regards to heatseekers. As it happens, heatseekers will effectively always go for countermeasures over any other target, if a CM is in sight, not exactly intended behavior as it makes 50% of all missiles in WoD considerably less effective. Woops.
Something I should have noticed much earlier, but only did recently as I was testing out AdmiralRalwood's addition of +Pulse Interval
Observe glorious bughunting in this thread (along with all the wrong assumptions I make, good thing AdmiralRalwood actually knows what he is talking about.)

Second off, embracing PBR. Something the mighty wizard Swifty has been working on for a long time has been added to the nightlies recently. Boy, does it make beams and glows and every thing look so good. On the unfortunate flipside, turns out it brings a lot of extra (unforseen) work with it. As the shine on the majority of ships now looks really off (kind of a plastic wrapping effect) and it means learning how to make a decent looking reflect map and then... doing it for a whole lot of models.
I'll be honest, not exactly thrilled about that, it's a lot of work that isn't really the fun part of game development. The end result should be worth it though!

And then in updated ship news:

The Ray MkIV was still in line for it's update

And another fourth generation fighter craft also makes its debut; the CRF Templar:

Model by Hades

Both fighters are currently undergoing test trials on the Guardian Angel. Maybe if Dawn asks the test pilots nice enough, they'll let her try them out.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
They're both beauties. The Templar is a CRF exclusive design?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
They sure look quite good now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
They're both beauties. The Templar is a CRF exclusive design?
Yeah, though unforunately, the CRF struggle designing modern fighters. So the Templar performs more like a 3.5 generation fighter. It will probably not end up being the favorite for a lot of people.

So onto another little bit of devving
Out of the four medium primary weapons (the four weapons you got to choose from episode 1), its been bugging me why the CHI-MPC1v Proton just didn't really felt right to use. On paper it's not a bad weapon at all... but when given the choice, I found myself always gravitating towards loading up the VK-03N instead. And I got the impression from players that they too, rather have the DAKKA DAKKA over the pew kew. I thought it over for a bit, and decided on doing two simple adjustments, the first was switching it from cycle firing to burst firing. I figured that maybe the weapon is just too slow firing to be proper for cycle firing. Since it has a rate of fire of once per second, making it more than twice as slow as the VK03N.
Second off, I fiddled a bit with the sound effect, gave it a bass boost, mixed in another sound effect etc. to make it sound a bit less like a pewpewlaser.
Minor tweaks, it still has the same raw stats as before; the result: https://my.mixtape.moe/lhnulh.webm
Urutorahappī!!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
looks & sounds good, and I do like alpha (IMHO it better suits joystick style play :))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

the ray looks great, the templar looks too flat and planey
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This is some nice lookin' stuff.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline LoneFan

the ray looks great, the templar looks too flat and planey
It looks like a beefed up caliburn with more armor. https://youtu.be/AnBAroskMTo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:05:11 am by LoneFan »

I don't really have a problem with the Templar. But there's just something that I can't put my finger on about it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Here's a shiplab rotation of the Templar: https://my.mixtape.moe/gbjagg.webm
Urutorahappī!!