Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 265423 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace Music Remixes
Hello,
All Ancient music has been redone as of today - some contain slightly extended versions as they were originally composed.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/sets/freespace-ancients-set/

The plan for the finals (submitted to HLP with the redone high res cinematics) will be to have Clarissa, who is the original voice actress, redo all the voice overs.  I know she's anxious to do so! I'll condense the extended scores as needed.

-
DW

Hoooooly ****

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The awesomeness of this venture just keep getting more and more... awesome.  :yes:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That is so many levels of awesome.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Are we going to end up with Freespace: Daniel Wentz's Cut?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
   I have noticed, a few days back you made a remix for marauder NRML. You may recall I mentioned that I have been for a long time imagining how this track would sound as a remix. Marauder NRML to me is a track which communicates purity, heart, and dedication; particularly of the Terrans who are facing a menace of unknown scale. I imagined high strung violins seamlessly edging in and out over the base, and for some sort of buildup to occur, possibly involving light percussion. I interpreted this buildup perhaps as military strength or level of investment into the conflict.

At the first listen through, I was confused by the direction of the remix. The main base of the remix uses a low base horn which sounds like something out of a swamp pit. An added quality which I initially thought dragged the track down. I listened to this track many times to wash out of my mind the bias I had for how I thought the track should sound. I have since grown an appreciation for the new direction.

Here's my take on it: the terrans are hurting, and there's hardly any reason to feel anything but hopelessness, yet they fight on to survive. In this particular mission(M7), the player is expected to deliver shield technology which will be developed by scientists and give terran/vasudan fighters more or less even footing against shivan fighters; a single ray of hope in this desperate struggle. So the track begins as a people wading through carnage in search of hope, and as the track builds, the hope slowly overcomes the carnage. Perhaps survival of the human race is possible after all?

I might be reading too hard into the track, but I really appreciate you making this remix and settling my questions about how the original artist would have altered the original. It adds to one of my favorite tracks of all time, one which stirs me in unique ways. I very much appreciate what you are doing for HLP and readily listen to every track as they come out.

Looks like the Marauder normals are up. Marauder is actually my favorite track in FS1.

I could not agree more.

EDIT: Used wrong quote by Snail
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:54:50 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios

That is the master plan. I'm currently in the home stretch - redoing breifings, debriefings (and if I get Jeremy on board) possibly the epologue too.

-
DW

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Regarding Marauder, instrumentation, my intent...

I appreciate your thoughtful interpretation. A bit of what I was thinking; first that's actually a (slightly distorted) 5 string Spector bass guitar - which makes a rare solo appearance in this rendition. I felt it was time to give some "other instruments" the spot light. To me, it drips of ominous darkness.

This is intended to contribute to the transitioning of the classic "calm before storm" effect from 8 to 9. So, I also subdued 8 a bit to make the impact of 9 that much larger.

-
DW

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's an interesting thought, but keep in mind the soundtracks are re-used from mission to mission.  Even within the FS1 campaign itself.  If the music soundtrack is out of context, it may not have that same impact.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

That is the master plan. I'm currently in the home stretch - redoing breifings, debriefings (and if I get Jeremy on board) possibly the epologue too.

-
DW
Maybe you can even recruit Robert Loggia too... despite the fact that he's 82 years old.  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
That's an interesting thought, but keep in mind the soundtracks are re-used from mission to mission.  Even within the FS1 campaign itself.  If the music soundtrack is out of context, it may not have that same impact.

You now should have an appreciation of the awesome responsibility that is mission design.

-
DW

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

You now should have an appreciation of the awesome responsibility that is mission design.

-
DW
I like to think that the majority of modders here already do.

Also, loving all the hard work you are putting into these remixes  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hello,
All Ancient music has been redone as of today - some contain slightly extended versions as they were originally composed.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/sets/freespace-ancients-set/

The plan for the finals (submitted to HLP with the redone high res cinematics) will be to have Clarissa, who is the original voice actress, redo all the voice overs.  I know she's anxious to do so! I'll condense the extended scores as needed.

-
DW

:eek2: Holy ****, just hearing them brought back the feeling of playing though FS and hearing them for the first time. Way more then any of the others put together. I think Ancients 2 hit me the hardest, with 3 coming in with a very close 2nd.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Oh my god, Ancients 3 is dead on!

Dan, here's a question: If Freespace 3 were to be made today and you were tasked with composing it's music, what style would you take with it?

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Thank you everyone. I just want you to know how much I love this game and the fact that you all have supported it for so long. Yeah, I'm sure mission designers do know what they're doing here and admittedly I was speaking with a touch of sarcasm.  The order of tracks in the music table doesn't necessarily directly translate to the actual mission progression.  I'll thinking of renaming the soundcloud entries to remove the "mission x" designation, and just call them by title.

Briefing 2 is finished, will be posting it as soon as I finish 1... see, I never do things in order! :)

-
DW

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios

Dan, here's a question: If Freespace 3 were to be made today and you were tasked with composing it's music, what style would you take with it?

Well first I would have to pick my jaw up off the floor... then I would start by spending some serious time with the supporting story. Ideally, it would involve a live orchestra
/choir

-
DW

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Well first I would have to pick my jaw up off the floor... then I would start by spending some serious time with the supporting story. Ideally, it would involve a live orchestra
/choir

-
DW

You should write to Jason Scott and see if he'll do an FS3 script for you to write music for.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, ancients 3 was always one of my favourite tracks as well, did a great job with it :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
why's m4 battle left in the experiment stage?
IMO, it sounds familiar enough anyways.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I just want to throw another thank you on the pile. The Freespace series, especially FS2 has been a very important part of my life ever since release day.  The music was always a huge factor in that.

The emotional range that I go through listening to the soundtracks alone is immense, I can only ever hope that something I create causes the same reaction in others, rather, it's something I strive to do.

Mr. Wentz you are a huge inspiration. I know this post is a little too gushy but really, thank you very much for producing such beautiful music, thank you for producing these remixes and thank you for allowing me to tell you directly what it means.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....

/choir

-
DW

You should write to Jason Scott and see if he'll do an FS3 script for you to write music for.

Oh the immeasurable awesomeness that could be created if there were a script! (I wish I had access to a choir, too.)