Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163111 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
Remember Niffiwan, chances are a fleet will attack on it's turn as well, so it will take damage from the counterattack and then damage from 3 seperate attacks.

I shudder to think what the Hertak's stats will be though.  :shaking:

But we've got to get through their minions first.

You mentioned the Hertak and the Zy, but what about the Fura'ngle? Remember all the nasty things they can do to you in the game?  :shaking:

Good (from http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fura'ngle):

"Fura'ngle fear death like no other which makes them terrible soldiers"  :nod:
"And that's when the greatest weakness of the Fura'ngle was discovered, holding a defensive line while large intimidating ships close on you requires courage, courage to face death."  :nod:

Bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CwyKSpLj9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXp4LjQYjk

Can't fight? Can't run? Then you die...  :shaking:

@ Spoon

Very interesting. Fluff for the RPing if nothing else. Do you intend to create all of these for the new Wings of Dawn? I wonder if we'll see some...

Will you give us a similar list for the heirarchy? If there are now so many for the Terrans, I'm guessing the Heirarchy have more too...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I don't want to have to back up any further than Aquarius though as that creates a second front up top if they do take it.  If need be we can lose Draco and Vega but we cannot let the Hierarchy open a second front up top through Virgo.

Well, apart from the lost resources (which could be a dealbreaker in itself), a defensive line at Tamy / Virgo / Polaris shouldn't be harder to defend than Aldebaran / Draco / Hydra.

Remember Niffiwan, chances are a fleet will attack on it's turn as well, so it will take damage from the counterattack and then damage from 3 seperate attacks.

Ah yes, that will change the outcomes... although I can't be bothered to figure out the maths for that at the moment :p  (it won't be a simple 25%-per-attacker-to-one-shot due to the 1st combat being at a higher strength to the three subsequent attacks)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Hey Spoon, now we have the types of ships, how about the size of fleets? If we want to talk about losses and ships going down in flames and the like. Of particular interest would be how many of the strongest capital ships there are in a fleet.

And I got another question:
When there are multiple fleets in one system, does each of them fight for itself or can they act as a combined fleet with shared hitpoints/damage?
If the attacker can choose which of the defending fleets he wants to attack in a 3vs3 Situation one fleet might be nuked off the map in one turn (making such engagements very risky). This would be unrealistic if the defending fleets have similar orders.
Fleets fight independently so it is indeed possible to focus fire on a single fleet to decimate it.
Rest assure however that I am not so cruel to one turn kill player fleets.
Remember Niffiwan, chances are a fleet will attack on it's turn as well, so it will take damage from the counterattack and then damage from 3 separate attacks.

Ah yes, that will change the outcomes... although I can't be bothered to figure out the maths for that at the moment :p  (it won't be a simple 25%-per-attacker-to-one-shot due to the 1st combat being at a higher strength to the three subsequent attacks)
Then we have to be careful. Without reinforcements an unexpected 1 vs 2 defense situation can easily turn into a disaster for a defending fleet not at 100% since retreating also causes damage.

Now I thought about retreating and I'm not sure how this is handled with multiple fleets.
In which order do the turns of different fleets happen? For example there are two fleets in the same system and both want to retreat, one heavily damaged and one in a good state but unable to fight the hostile fleets alone. Do both fleets get damage on retreat or just one of them (and which one)? Does it depend on first/second (=major/minor) action?
A similar situation would be one where a fleet jumps into a system to cover another fleet's retreat. Does that work and if yes what are the requirements? Like the covering fleet has to jump in with the first action and the retreating one has to use the second action or it'll get damage.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:52:42 am by Admiral MS »
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Then we have to be careful. Without reinforcements an unexpected 1 vs 2 defense situation can easily turn into a disaster for a defending fleet not at 100% since retreating also causes damage.

Hate to say I told you so (well, not you specifically) but I did warn the front-line fleets that they should be careful until the reinforcements arrive. The worst part is that, even if defending a system, you can't resupply unless you retreat to an uncontested system. I.e., damage is permanent, unless you retreat or completely destroy the enemy. That will really mess us up. We will need to coordinate our movements perfectly, so that the new arrivals support the veterans. Best thing would probably be to have two fleets constantly in the front lines, fighting the good fight and two resupplying.

And if I ever manage to get promoted, I know what trait I'll choose. Master of logistics, all the way. 1% to 100% in one turn, suckers!
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Now I thought about retreating and I'm not sure how this is handled with multiple fleets.
In which order do the turns of different fleets happen? For example there are two fleets in the same system and both want to retreat, one heavily damaged and one in a good state but unable to fight the hostile fleets alone. Do both fleets get damage on retreat or just one of them (and which one)? Does it depend on first/second (=major/minor) action?
A similar situation would be one where a fleet jumps into a system to cover another fleet's retreat. Does that work and if yes what are the requirements? Like the covering fleet has to jump in with the first action and the retreating one has to use the second action or it'll get damage.
This is a good example why it matters in what order you do your minor and major action.
In your first retreat example, it is possible for the fleet in good state to cover the retreat of the battered one before retreating itself. The damaged fleet will need to have its first action be the retreat while the other fleet needs to do it second. If both fleets have their retreat action as the first or second action then well, they both retreat at the same time and both take damage.
In the second example, it is as you say. A new fleet can jump into the system first and cover the retreat of the other fleet.

Hey Spoon, now we have the types of ships, how about the size of fleets? If we want to talk about losses and ships going down in flames and the like. Of particular interest would be how many of the strongest capital ships there are in a fleet.
A very large fleet would have around 50 capital ships. (So not the hunderds of ships in the original WoD) You guys are not commanding fleets of that size.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Ooooh, that's important information there Spoon.

So, with the much smaller fleets, is this something we'll see in the new WoD? The fleets are small enough now that they could actually be on screen, Wing Commander Saga style. Thinking Wing Commander Saga gives me a fair idea about scope for these fleets. If the biggest fleet is about 50 ships, what would we have, about 30 maybe? With such manageable numbers, would it be possible to break down exactly what we have? Or at least just what I have? I could see people giving names to every ship in their fleet with numbers like that... :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Right now I'm aiming for the game thread to be opened on sunday. With turns happening on wednesday and sundays
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Veers

Which time zone Spoon?, just for approximates.

Sounds good, looking very forward to this beginning
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Enioch

So we submit our moves during the other days, and they 'take place' during wed and sun? Sounds fine to me. But yeah, give us a time deadline for submissions.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm in the netherlands so I'm at GMT +1 (or +2 I always forget which one it is with daylight saving and what not). The deadline for orders will probably be around 22:00 my time.   
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Hi, Spoon.

Why 3 and 4 days? Wouldn't 3 and 3 be better? Also, if you're going to do 3 and 4, why not have the weekend inside the 3 day bracket? People will have more free time I would think on the weekend.

Offline Enioch

Hi, Spoon.

Why 3 and 4 days? Wouldn't 3 and 3 be better? Also, if you're going to do 3 and 4, why not have the weekend inside the 3 day bracket? People will have more free time I would think on the weekend.

This makes sense. However, we must keep in mind that this will probably take up a lot of Spoon's time and that, when all is said and done, it is us who need to adapt to his schedule. If Wednesday suits him better, Wednesday it must be.

Offline Lorric

Hi, Spoon.

This makes sense. However, we must keep in mind that this will probably take up a lot of Spoon's time and that, when all is said and done, it is us who need to adapt to his schedule. If Wednesday suits him better, Wednesday it must be.

Indeed.

Offline Veers

Excellent! :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Seems for me my best move is really simple one. Move to Aldebaran and defend. Though, I'm going to be seriously boned with my super weaksauciness unless I use Mercs so early in the game.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Doesn't being weaker make you less of a target?  You (we :)) are just as easy to hurt, but we do less damage so the incentive for the thinking enemy is to attack the other fleets 1st :)

(that doesn't really help much does it!)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Plus, you've got a lot of backup in transit. You could have four fleets total in Aldebaran within two turns, so even if the Cordi fleets turn out to be bigmclargehuge, you'll be fine

Offline Lorric

Seems for me my best move is really simple one. Move to Aldebaran and defend. Though, I'm going to be seriously boned with my super weaksauciness unless I use Mercs so early in the game.

I say use the mercs. We seem to have a vast abundance of resources. While we shouldn't squander them, I am wary of the possibility of everything on the map coming to us in Aldebaran. Your mercenaries would be a big help in repelling such an assault.

Doesn't being weaker make you less of a target?  You (we :)) are just as easy to hurt, but we do less damage so the incentive for the thinking enemy is to attack the other fleets 1st :)

(that doesn't really help much does it!)

Andrew is quite safe either way. If he's weak, he's not worth the effort. If he's strong, he gets bumped up to 150%, so he takes too long to kill.