Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163108 times)

Offline Veers

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
1st CRF will also support your assault, I just have not written up the RP or order side of it yet :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

I see Jellyfish has brought his forces to stand beside me in Tauri  :yes:

1st CRF will also support your assault, I just have not written up the RP or order side of it yet :)

The vid should be fun when it gets to Draco, watching your three fleets crush them like the bugs that they are.  :cool:

Offline Veers

Assuming that fleet does got get reinforced. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and I am open to either assaulting or defending.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Go figure, I thought 1st ? Fleet was coming from Crux, and that Crux was empty of anyone other than them.
I could've blitzed them, but they aren't coming from Crux.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Lorric

Assuming that fleet does got get reinforced. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and I am open to either assaulting or defending.

Indeed. But for this turn, there is very little risk in this attack. There will be scope to go back to Vega and defend if necessary.

Go figure, I thought 1st ? Fleet was coming from Crux, and that Crux was empty of anyone other than them.
I could've blitzed them, but they aren't coming from Crux.

Yeah, they're just bypassing it. Perhaps it's an enemy special move. Hopefully they'll be trapped over here with us and we'll be able to destroy them.

Offline Flak

All hail Britannia!

Dang, now I can't get that song out of my head

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The 2nd SF Fleet status seems to be different in the Battle Status & the Fleet Status.

Assuming that the Battle Status is correct, those poor bastards are in a world of hurt and no one is in range to take their place (except the 1st LSF and they're not ready for another fight).  Lets hope the 2nd ? Fleet doesn't hit too hard... ditto for the Northern 1st ? Fleet since there's no one free to relieve the 2nd CRF & 4th SF (although if I understand correctly, the 2nd UGCR could pass through Aldebaran to Tauri assuming that someone remains in Aldebaran to cover them?) 

Anyway, I think it'd be good to have one more fleet heading towards Aldebaran, maybe the 3rd CRF since the 1st LSF needs two turns to resupply back to near 100%. (edit: no no no, read the rules niffi, resupply is a minor action!)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:45:35 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I for one would much rather be on the offensive if and when possible.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Lorric

The 2nd SF Fleet status seems to be different in the Battle Status & the Fleet Status.

Assuming that the Battle Status is correct, those poor bastards are in a world of hurt and no one is in range to take their place (except the 1st LSF and they're not ready for another fight).  Lets hope the 2nd ? Fleet doesn't hit too hard... ditto for the Northern 1st ? Fleet since there's no one free to relieve the 2nd CRF & 4th SF (although if I understand correctly, the 2nd UGCR could pass through Aldebaran to Tauri assuming that someone remains in Aldebaran to cover them?) 

Anyway, I think it'd be good to have one more fleet heading towards Aldebaran, maybe the 3rd CRF since the 1st LSF needs two turns to resupply back to near 100%.

Nice spot there niffiwan on the differences, another correction for Spoon to make.

Yes, you could cut right through to us if necessary.

My impulse would have been to take on mercs in the first turn, putting you in a position to take the 150% fleet to either system next. But I've been wondering and I think your your move might be better though. With your move, you'd be in a position to move into Aldebaran with your first action, thereby allowing you to cover the retreat of the others if necessary as they could retreat on their second action. You could also go to Tauri, or you could take on mercs and enter the system. So your choice might well be the better choice. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is bring a merc fleet to Tauri, but I think me and Jellyfish could at least hold on long enough for our forces to re-organise some help if we're dealing with a super-fleet. So I think your move is the better one.

I'm not sure if it's better for the 2nd SF to fight or retreat.

I for one would much rather be on the offensive if and when possible.

And your powerful fleet ought to allow you to be.

Speaking of which, if we get into a situation where you, niffiwan+mercs and a good third fleet all attack one enemy, it would do a hell of a lot of damage.

Offline Flak

3rd Nordera Fleet, Morale from Very High to Zealous

And this is just right after they have their asses handed to them by the 2nd DD and 2nd LSF?
The Norderas are crazy

Offline Lorric

Oh, and now we know why Spoon doesn't want to provide us with enemy fleet stats. Because it's down to us to keep track of enemy resupplying.

So I think we can be confident that the 2nd Cordi will now be at 50%/52%.

The 3rd Nordera might be lower due to retreating with no cover, though the 1st and 2nd Nordera had 2 actions and only one was used. 57% damage was inflicted and the stats reflect that, so they might have taken additional damage. They will have been boosted to 73%/73% max, if they were boosted. However, if they retreated under cover, the second action might have been required, so no resupply, I'm not clear on that. I don't know if fleets swapping places on the same action would count as covering I don't think that was asked.

Spoon, if two fleets swap places in a system simultaneously, does it allow one to cover the other's retreat?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I actually started writing up an RP post, but I'm in the middle of re-reading the Honor Harrington series, so it turned out to be too much effort not to accidentally write about impeller drives and sidewalls and graser mounts, so... eh. :P

I'll leave the RPing to those of you obviously having so much fun with it and focus on managing my fleet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Veers

I actually started writing up an RP post, but I'm in the middle of re-reading the Honor Harrington series, so it turned out to be too much effort not to accidentally write about impeller drives and sidewalls and graser mounts, so... eh. :P

I'll leave the RPing to those of you obviously having so much fun with it and focus on managing my fleet.

No problem, I don't expect (for myself at least) that we will RP everything, I'm not great at it but I enjoy it, and as long as we are enjoying ourselves (and not getting annihilated at every turn :P), that is all that matters :)

Oh, I hope you don't mind, the 1st DD is on point! :D I have support elements entering with you and we are assaulting together. I left the Sol Fleet out as I really wanted to write something focusing on the DD and CRF fleets, and it gives mobcdmoc3 a chance to write something up as well, depending on his actions. Either way, if we all move into Draco. The additional details don't really happen.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Flak

I think something like this is good for the DD battle music, especially when the ominous Russian chant starts to kick in. I also wonder how the Delest ships looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTrhnvWTnPg

Offline Veers

My new favourite! Awesome Flak

I think that fits rather nicely, especially since the DD fleet will get stronger over time. This places an emphasis on the mystery of their society and plays rather nicely to their growing strength.  :yes:

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

The talk of themes has had me thinking, but I have so much to choose from, how on Earth do you choose?

However, here's something I can throw in, not something I want to see in Spoon's vids, unless maybe at the moment the 2nd CRF destroys/sees off an enemy fleet, then it can serve as victory music. And he uses a piece from the very same game as his WoD victory music, so it might well be fitting...

Allow me to present the Official Anthem of the 2nd CRF:

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Guys, I just want to echo Spoon's sentiments and say that I am absolutely loving these write-ups.

Also, if anyone wants to establish some backstory or whatever between admirals, give me a holler.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It'd be good to take Kardoen & have only a single point to defend.  My only concerns are:

1) It's further away & takes longer for reinforcements to arrive.  Obviously this doesn't matter in a few turns when all allied fleets have arrived at the front lines
2) Some of the Hierarchy can bypass the Starlances, so this may not guarantee a single chokepoint (but obviously this still applies if we maintain a line at Draco/Hydra)
3) We won't see which Hierarchy fleets are waiting offscreen to ambush us so the fleets in Kardoen should probably resupply sooner, which means we'd need more backup fleets to rotate through the front lines

Having said that, it's still a good idea, we can re-evaluate after we see what Hierarchy reinforcements show up after next turn
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
When I read this I was all like "hell nah, I'm 99% sure I have this correct!" and then I checked the turn post... "Bugger!"
It's been fixed, good spot.

Spoon, if two fleets swap places in a system simultaneously, does it allow one to cover the other's retreat?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85046.msg1700482#msg1700482

Edit: In other good news, I have fixed the issues I was having with my video program being glitchy at the beginning of clips. Time to get started on the turn 2 footage.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:47:58 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Veers

Ah, excellent. (to both the retreat and the video). What was causing the problem?

WoD - I like Crystal. <3