Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163097 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
Lorric, your big carrier is a Lord-class.

How do you know?

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Well, why wouldn't you want a Lord-clas? It has oodles and oodles of beams and looks mighty sexy to boot. Almost like a pocket Star Destroyer.

Offline Lorric

Well, why wouldn't you want a Lord-clas? It has oodles and oodles of beams and looks mighty sexy to boot. Almost like a pocket Star Destroyer.

I just want to know if it's a Lord or a Champion. Since I don't know what either look like because I've never seen them before. I guess if I see the other vessel I'll know which I prefer, but by name only, I would choose Lord. It seems more fitting for this faction. The Champion would serve under the Lord.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Lorric, your big carrier is a Lord-class.

Spoon, any chance that some of our characters from here might cameo in the WoD reboot when it comes out?  :)
If you are all okay with you being turned into super kawaii~ moe~ uguu~ girlies
Though Ivan Dimitrievic Kalazonitov is too much of a badass, I can never capture that with my drawing.

How do you know?
He knows because he's been paying attention  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Veers

Just on the music topic.. I'm very biased towards the British Grenadiers right now.. :D (video extended from Girls und Panzer)

http://youtu.be/regl4vTld5E

Hey, awesome ship is awesome isnt it? :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

How do you know?
He knows because he's been paying attention  :p

:confused:

This is all I have to go on, is it not?

Commonwealth Royal Fleet:
2nd Gen
 - Light: Dragonfly
 - Medium: Ray IIJS
 - Heavy: Tyrfing

3rd Gen
 - Light: Kaze-Page
 - Medium: Esquire, Ray IIIM3v
 - Heavy: Excalibur

4th Gen
 - Light: Hospitaler
 - Medium: Templar
 - Heavy: -

Capital ships:
 - Light: Cavalier
 - Medium: Duke
- Heavy/Carrier: Lord, Champion

So it's one or the other. Of course, I now know it's a Lord, but I wonder how he knows.

Offline Lorric

*Lightbulb clicks on*

Stranded.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
awesome video Spoon, thanks!   :D :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Okay guys, it seems like I can't keep up with the two turns a week schedule. It takes me several hours to write the post and make the video to go with it and with the amount of battles only increasing from this point onward, it'll take me more time each... time.
We're switching to a once per week update from here on. Right now this is sunday, but we can also make it saturday if this is more convenient for you guys. (Lemme know)

Again, the video for turn 2 will follow. I simply ran out of time today.

If there are any errors or things that I missed in the turn report, let me know. After looking at the same post for like 3 hours straight I sorta became blind to everything  :p

Oooooh, love it-love it-love it!  :D  :D  :D
awesome video Spoon, thanks!   :D :yes:
Glad you liked it
Though this one was really a rush job! Future vids will be better!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Ah well, sure it's regrettable that we're down to a turn a week, but looking on the bright side, it might mean we get better vids and better RP!

And speaking of the vids, thinking to the future, what fun it will be when this is all over to make a playlist of them and sit back and watch as months are condensed into minutes...

The Nordera are weird. The 3rd fleet gets dismantled, runs away, and their morale goes up...?

I'm also surprised the 2nd Cordi didn't lose morale after getting hammered while our fleets do lose morale when faring poorly.

If you've got a handle on exactly how the morale system works, any concrete insight would be welcome. I believe my drop is a one-off RP element, rather than a standard penalty for retreating.

Oh, and I wanted to talk to the Cordi, but circumstances have stopped that. Anyone else want to try their hand chatting with the aliens?  :)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I'm FINALLY here. Right now, I'm thinking of making a dash to reinforce Aldebaran after using Zeal, as the southern front seems to be doing better and for RP reasons. Does anyone have any better ideas for what to do with the 4th CRF?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

I'm FINALLY here. Right now, I'm thinking of making a dash to reinforce Aldebaran after using Zeal, as the southern front seems to be doing better and for RP reasons. Does anyone have any better ideas for what to do with the 4th CRF?

It's probably better to ask that question the next turn down the line, since using Zeal and moving to Tamy won't have any impact on the decision. The picture will be clearer then.

Hey, got a "zeal speech" up your sleeve, hmmm? :)

I do request reinforcements for the top though, I don't care where they come from.

I guess we know the answer now on whether the heirarchy fleets will retreat. If the 1st UGC had attacked the 2nd Cordi, we would have destroyed it completely. I'm not saying it's a bad thing though, there are benefits to our big fleet cutting the enemy's big fleet down to size, the 1st UGC inflicted some good damage, and we didn't know if they would run or just fight to the death. Now we know.

Offline Veers

Fleet movement Results:
1st SF Fleet, Fomalhaut -> Aldebaran
3rd SF Fleet, Virgo -> Aquarius -> Vega
4th SF Fleet, Sol -> Polaris -> Librae
1st DD Fleet, Tamy -> Aquarius -> Vega
3rd DD Fleet, Scorpius -> Silva
1st CRF Fleet, Tamy -> Aquarius -> Vega (wrong movement entered - corrected to reflect map/orders given)
2nd CRF Fleet, Aldebaran -> Tauri
3rd CRF Fleet, Ruba Pegasi -> Tamy (wrong movement entered - corrected to reflect map/orders given)
4th CRF Fleet, Harcon -> Ruba Pegasi
2nd UGCR Fleet, Grens -> Sol
1st LSF Fleet, Draco -> Vega -> Aquarius

2nd Cordi Fleet, Aldebaran -> Crux
4th Cordi Fleet, Kardoen -> Draco
1st Nordera Fleet, Draco -> Hydra
2nd Nordera Fleet, Draco -> Hydra
3rd Nordera Fleet, Hydra -> Kardoen
1st ? Fleet, Algol -> Kardoen
1st ? Fleet, In transit to Tauri, ETA Turn 3
2nd ? Fleet, Unknown -> Crux

Other Results:
2nd SF Fleet, Morale from Normal to Low
2nd DD Fleet, Morale from Low to Normal
1st CRF Fleet, Morale Very High (My Morale was already up to Very High from last turn. No change here? )
2nd CRF Fleet, Morale from Very High to High
3rd CRF Fleet, Morale from High to Very High
1st LSF Fleet, Morale from High to Normal
3rd Nordera Fleet, Morale from Very High to Zealous  (well... damn)
2nd DD Fleet, Prepared Barrage (and immediately used it)
2nd LSF Fleet, Combined arms (and immediately used it)

Those are the corrections I've made in accordance to the Map and orders that have been posted. I can't see anything else. :) Hope that helps.

Now RP time :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

I see AdmiralRalwood has chosen to defend Vega. I don't think this is the right call. I'd be interested in what others think. If everyone defends Vega, yes, it makes it very hard to take, but it just hands Spoon the initiative. And if I was Spoon I'd just ignore Vega and put all the pressure on Hydra, 5 fleets down there, rotate them in and out and all attack Hydra. Why would he send anything to Vega, it makes no sense for him to do that, he can only even attack it with one fleet next turn, we'll just be wasting a turn for three of our fleets. He didn't attack it this turn and no one was defending.

So I humbly suggest everyone attack the 4th Cordi and put the pressure on. Try to link the two systems back up if possible, but don't just give him a free hand to attack Hydra, we've got 5 against 5 down there, and the 3 Nordera fleets are far inferior to our fleets, attack, put him under pressure.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Corrected.
Seems like I accidently switched the 1st and 3rd movement results around.

I'm also surprised the 2nd Cordi didn't lose morale after getting hammered while our fleets do lose morale when faring poorly.
The Hierarchy fleets (mostly) follow the same rules you guys are subject to. You should be able to figure out why the 2nd Cordi fleet seemingly has unchanged morale with some logical thinking.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

The Hierarchy fleets (mostly) follow the same rules you guys are subject to. You should be able to figure out why the 2nd Cordi fleet seemingly has unchanged morale with some logical thinking.

Did they Resupply? I thought you would have specified it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I see AdmiralRalwood has chosen to defend Vega. I don't think this is the right call. I'd be interested in what others think. If everyone defends Vega, yes, it makes it very hard to take, but it just hands Spoon the initiative. And if I was Spoon I'd just ignore Vega and put all the pressure on Hydra, 5 fleets down there, rotate them in and out and all attack Hydra.
I'm holding in Vega for the very simple reason that I can't enter Draco without being hammered by an attack of opportunity. With already-low morale and 2nd gen fighters, that sounds like a good way to get my ass kicked for little or no return. On the other hand, by staying in Vega with my defensive bonus and my already-prepared barrage, I'll get a sizeable bonus when the enemy shows up. And I do think it's a matter of "when" and not "if", but even if the enemy decides to just ignore me, we can have Rear Admiral Soryu and the 3rd SF use Blitz to break into the system.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

I see AdmiralRalwood has chosen to defend Vega. I don't think this is the right call. I'd be interested in what others think. If everyone defends Vega, yes, it makes it very hard to take, but it just hands Spoon the initiative. And if I was Spoon I'd just ignore Vega and put all the pressure on Hydra, 5 fleets down there, rotate them in and out and all attack Hydra.
I'm holding in Vega for the very simple reason that I can't enter Draco without being hammered by an attack of opportunity. With already-low morale and 2nd gen fighters, that sounds like a good way to get my ass kicked for little or no return. On the other hand, by staying in Vega with my defensive bonus and my already-prepared barrage, I'll get a sizeable bonus when the enemy shows up. And I do think it's a matter of "when" and not "if", but even if the enemy decides to just ignore me, we can have Rear Admiral Soryu and the 3rd SF use Blitz to break into the system.

You'll be safe. He doesn't have enough. Remember everyone takes the same damage, your stats only determine how much you can deal. He'll probably ignore you and attack a stronger fleet.

But look, here's the way I see it. The 2nd DD and 2nd LSF will defeat the Nordera in Hydra. The three fleets from Vega will devastate the 4th Cordi. The 3rd Nordera is already badly damaged. Only the unknown fleet is in position to attack. Anything off the map can't attack you in Draco, the best they can do is travel there. Please, attack the 4th Cordi. We can put them all on the run and roll them all up. The advantage is ours, please press it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You'll be safe. He doesn't have enough. Remember everyone takes the same damage, your stats only determine how much you can deal. He'll probably ignore you and attack a stronger fleet.
I was very confused by this reply until I realized that I had misread the rules regarding movement; for some reason, I thought moving into a system with a hostile fleet and no friendly fleets caused you to take automatic damage the same as a retreat. I'll be changing my orders now.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

I was very confused by this reply until I realized that I had misread the rules regarding movement; for some reason, I thought moving into a system with a hostile fleet and no friendly fleets caused you to take automatic damage the same as a retreat. I'll be changing my orders now.

Ah, thank you.