Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163084 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
On the subject of massing in the South, you've already seen me advocating a push down there. I remember I didn't want one of the fleets to go down there, but it's put the pressure on down there. However, I would want the 1st LSF to go North, not South. If the North does collapse, the South, everyone will be too far away to stop the enemy just cruising to Sol unopposed. So I feel we need the backup of the 1st LSF up North. In the North, maybe we should consider if it would be better to simply stall the enemy rather than trying to destroy them. Though as I've also said before, the two bloated UGC fleets paired with another fleet could inflict a great deal of damage.

Spoon, if two fleets swap places in a system simultaneously, does it allow one to cover the other's retreat?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85046.msg1700482#msg1700482

Edit: In other good news, I have fixed the issues I was having with my video program being glitchy at the beginning of clips. Time to get started on the turn 2 footage.

Ah, I'm sorry about that Spoon. I really didn't want you to have to reiterate something again, I checked the first two pages looking for the information I wanted, but it was on the third. I'm just glad I didn't ask the question. For the benefit of everyone else, we can't swap two fleets in and out, both have to be there at the same time in order for someone to leave unharmed.

Good to hear about that bug being squashed like your bugs of the 4th Cordi are about to be squashed.  ;)

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft

CommanderDJ, I'd be open to that. Do you have any ideas?

I'm just trying to think of what sort of interaction between admirals could have taken place if they're from different factions. Do we have any info on whether relations between factions are peaceful or otherwise? The only thing I found is in the LSF's entry in the explanation/recruiting thread, which mentions proxy wars, but I'm not sure exactly what that means.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Veers

I understood proxy as, like a middle man. They would supervise wars, training sessions etc where military power was involved.

I also think they would be a mixed group. Having not only members from each faction, but also some equipment from each.

Edit: I just realised I practically said word for word what Spoon has already noted about the LSF. :banghead:
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

Fleet: 3rd SF
First Action: Minor - Blitz - Draco - 4th Cordi Fleet
Second Action: Major - Engage 4th Cordi Fleet

Hello mobcdmoc3. This isn't what Blitz is for. Spoon's explanation:

Fleet Abilities:
Blitz: Allows a fleet to break through enemy lines and advance into an enemy control system. (From a contested system to a hostile system)
When using Blitz you must target one enemy fleet and the target system that you want to move into. You will deal and take half damage to the targeted fleet as your fleet breaks through the enemy lines.
Cooldown: 2 turns

You're going from a friendly system to an enemy one. Just attack normally and save your special.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:36:26 pm by Lorric »

I see. Oh well, we should still end up with a terribly stacked brawl against the 4th Cordi. :p

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll just have to blitz some other unfortunate fleet in our crosshairs.

Offline Lorric

You're welcome. :)

I think the Blitz ability is more for pushing forward than doing damage. It's a tactical move. Ideally three Sol fleets would be using it from the same system at the same time, with three more allied fleets coming in to replace them.

You could also use it if the system behind the front line was clear of enemies or what was there could be immediately defeated, and then secure that system, trapping the enemy in place and cutting them off from reinforcements as long as the Sol fleet/s that blitzed could hold it and it was the only path.

EDIT: Oh, also, I'm not sure, but I think the idea is the target fleet is one within your system. The idea being that you smash through that fleet into the next system. In an example with 3 Sol fleets, they could all smash through the same fleet, then 3 more fleets waiting could come in and attack that fleet, which would probably be enough to take it out.

EDIT 2: This also means if I'm right, the potential is there for a Sol fleet to attack an enemy normally, then blitz that same enemy, doing 1.5X damage total. 3 Sol fleets doing that would also I think be able to take something out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:08:38 pm by Lorric »

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I just realized the 1st ? coming in to Tauri will have first shot. Hope starlance-less jumps are a Major action...
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Lorric

I just realized the 1st ? coming in to Tauri will have first shot. Hope starlance-less jumps are a Major action...
If it's a special, specials are minor, so they'll be able to attack.

Although it might be a major, since it takes 3 turns, or it might be something unique.

Offline Flak

I think blitz its useful for both doing hit and run at a specific enemy fleet hiding behind their other forces in a hostile system, or to quickly finish off a retreating enemy fleet. For the first purpose, just strike the enemy fleet in the hostile system and just run back. For the second purpose, the blitz the enemy fleet and if it survived, attack it once more, though this may leave your fleet vulnerable, so you need other allied fleets for backup to pull this safely if there are other hostile fleets nearby.

Offline Lorric

Yes, I don't think there's much use for Blitz for a single Sol fleet, unless it's to finish off a very weak enemy. It needs to be used by 2 or 3.

I hadn't considered running back, but I guess it's possible if you're just moving to a contested system from a system that has become contested due to your presence in it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I feel so silly for giving all these excuses. but I had intended for the turn 2 vid to go up today, but then yesterday I caught some kind of virus or what not. It resulted in me headbutting the toiletseat (yeah I actually passed out in front of it, my face hurts) last night and feeling like absolute crappers today. I very rarely get sick so I'm feeling super sorry for myself today and am spending the day watching anime from my comfy seat going "boohoo im so sad".
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

I feel so silly for giving all these excuses. but I had intended for the turn 2 vid to go up today, but then yesterday I caught some kind of virus or what not. It resulted in me headbutting the toiletseat (yeah I actually passed out in front of it, my face hurts) last night and feeling like absolute crappers today. I very rarely get sick so I'm feeling super sorry for myself today and am spending the day watching anime from my comfy seat going "boohoo im so sad".

:(

Ooooh, I don't like the sound of this, Spoon. I hope you've been to a doctor, losing consciousness under any circumstances would be ringing the alarm bells for me.

As for the vid, well, you've basically got until Sunday to release it anyway before you start creating a backlog, and I'm sure we'd all understand if you just weren't up to it due to whatever you've picked up. Time for medicine spoons for Spoon I think. I wish you a quick and easy recovery.

Offline Lorric

URGENT! URGENT! URGENT!

My fellow players, I don't know if I am the first among us to come to this terrible realisation, but up until now, I have been operating under the assumption that Jellyfish and I will have the 1st ? fleet isolated in Tauri when it arrives. This is not so. As soon as the 1st ? fleet arrives in Tauri, the status of the system will change to Contested. Alderbaran next to it will also be Contested. This means that there is nothing to stop heirarchy fleets moving through Alderbaran to Tauri to support the 1st ? fleet, with more taking their place in Aldebaran. We may well receive 3 attacks that turn and be close to defeat. It will be 6 on 6 up here soon and they have reserves and we don't. We will die, and the heirarchy will take Sol.

I believe we must have at least the 1st LSF and one other fleet head North to help us hold off the enemy. Perhaps the 3rd CRF. It may even be worth considering pulling away one of the Vega fleets as well, though my first impulse is the other 7 fleets in the South should continue their assault. More enemy fleets will continue to arrive, we must destroy some, or they will eventually have more than us, then they will make more jumps that bypass the starlances and then they will be able to bring those numbers to bear upon us and we will be overwhelmed.

Now would be a good time for a hero to arrive on the scene to aid us...

*Hint*

*Hint*

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I thought they had to control a system to get the Hierarchy in. Besides, I'm sure we can handle the ? Fleet quickly, forcing it to retreat or perhaps even destroying it.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Lorric

I thought they had to control a system to get the Hierarchy in. Besides, I'm sure we can handle the ? Fleet quickly, forcing it to retreat or perhaps even destroying it.

They can't move into friendly systems. The system won't be friendly when the 1st ? fleet drops in, fleets from Aldebaran could move to Tauri and attack us before we even get a turn. And if the ? fleet gets to attack as well, we'll be in trouble already.

EDIT:

And here is the relevant bit of information:

- A fleet can move from one contested system to an other contested system. This also counts as a retreat.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:24:10 pm by Lorric »

Offline Flak

For Tauri, I would be more concerned because if it becomes contested, or even worse captured, we will lose the 10 income from it.

Offline Lorric

For Tauri, I would be more concerned because if it becomes contested, or even worse captured, we will lose the 10 income from it.

If it stays contested, it's still worth 5. I don't know if we'll be able to take it back. Right now we need to simply make sure we don't get destroyed at the top and lose the game.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
- A fleet can move from one contested system to an other contested system. This also counts as a retreat.

Hmmm.  Good pickup & I think you're partially correct.  They could transfer *one* fleet (1st ~74% or 3rd ~90% Cordi - both strengths are before our next attacks take effect, I think it's ~55% damage that will be currently dealt to 1st Cordi) from Aldebaran to Tauri and attack you in concert with the 1st ? fleet.  If both fleets move 1st then attack, it'll be a retreat and they'll get a spanking on the way through from the 1st UGCR & 1st SF so I don't think that is likely.  If both fleets wait for reinforcements to enter Aldebaran before moving to Tauri (to avoid the retreat) they can't attack in the same turn.  Ditto for any other reinforcements from Crux passing through to Tauri (2nd ? & 2nd Cordi).

So while not good I don't think it's panic stations yet.  2 on 2 shouldn't be decisively resolved in a single turn, and the following turn we can move a fleet from Aldebaran to Tauri to assist, and hopefully bring 1st UGCR and/or 1st LSF to cover Aldebaran.  The 2nd SF may also have resupplied enough by then to re-enter Aldebaran, although it would be better to enter & attack on the same turn.  The question is, should the 3rd CRF move north?  The consequences would be a reduced chance of us driving on into Kardoen which should relieve pressure on the south, which would also allow us to divert more fleets north.

What about the idea of having the 3rd CRF continue to Vega, but get the 3rd DD or 4th CRF to double move to Aquarius?  If the situation in the north deteriorates, they could double move to Aldebaran in turn 3, otherwise they could use their specials then.

Of course, this analysis ignores the unknown special abilities the Hierarchy have, if Blitz (for instance) is available to the Cordi, then the situation is looking a whole lot uglier!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Flak

Cordi already has the ability similar to the UGC I think. It probably need at least 4 hits from fleets in at least 90% condition to completely wipe out an enemy fleet.

I do have to agree that the 1st LSF should go north instead, only the 2nd UGCR is coming to reinforce the northern front and they now have to worry about a second front.

The fleet heading to Tauri is probably Fura'ngle, while fleet waiting in Kardoen is probably Zy, unless Spoon decided to screw us over and have you all face the Hertak.

Offline Lorric

Hi, niffiwan. Thanks.

I have a new plan in mind. The 2nd SF needs to retreat from Aldebaran. The order has not been given yet. I've crunched the numbers, and if we have the 1st UGC and 1st SF attack the 1st Cordi as planned, and then if I go and attack them as well, we can finish them off. I don't want the first Cordi returning at 150/150. Taking them out will be a huge boon for us.

Jellyfish will stand alone in Tauri for that one turn. I'm sure he can survive one turn. I would have stayed there if it was possible, but Jellyfish cannot attack the 1st Cordi so I must do it. I'm changing my orders now. We can go back Jellyfish up on the next turn.

This will put us in a good position. The enemy will only have 2 fleets to attack with in one place. They have the 1st ?, the 2nd ? and the 3rd Cordi. The 2nd Cordi is too weak. The 2nd ? can't hit Tauri. They can only attack one of our fleets twice. Either Jellyfish in Tauri with the 1st ? (if it can attack that turn) and 3rd Cordi, or someone in Aldebaran with the 2nd ? and 3rd Cordi. I doubt the 1st ? will be able to move again, but if it does, the Tauri foothold is lost. I don’t think two fleets’ attacks can kill any of us.

So this MIGHT be enough to allow us to let the 3rd CRF continue on and have one of those you mentioned (preferably 4th CRF) come up and aid us instead.

Hmmm, I’d be surprised if the Cordera have specials, they always seemed like just fodder, but it’s not something we can discount.

Oh, my prediction is the fleet going to Tauri is Zy, and may well be 150%.