Author Topic: SDn Sariel (WIP)  (Read 15347 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Having the exact same arms kind of throws off its sense of scale, TBH.
It's coming together nicely now though!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Very appreciative to all of you, I'll keep it up.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I've updated my p3d again, with at least one subobject attached to my mesh (counting my three arms). Sporting the new triangular design for my front (as suggested by Betrayal and partly inspired by Esarai's HTL SD Demon's front).

I think I have finished my model (in concept), so I'm waiting for anybody to pick my model up to add in these details (as additional subobjects, like fightermedic's).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:34:50 am by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Excuse me if I'm too blunt, but I find two bad ideas in your post.
1) Waiting for people to pick up your work: If you don't do it yourself, there's a good chance it'll never get done. Most people around here with the required abilities has little time and they focus it on their own projects. There's plenty of beautifull non-UVed non-textured models around.
2) Downloading p3ds: If it's not yours, it's not yours to take. That would be theft. People put their models there to show them, not to share them. If you want free models under clear licensing, there are other sites like blenderswap. Although people in HLP tend to be leanient towards licensing, you shouldn't take that for granted. Since you can't even contact the author through p3d, you should stay away from their work.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
The Dagger, my Sariel, just like the others, is intended to be shown on p3d. I have no intention of sharing them or letting others to steal my work of any sort.

As I said before, the concept for the Sariel is done, now its time for me to do some serious modelling, based on the suggestions by Trivial Psychic and Betrayal.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This statement:

I have no intention of sharing them or letting others to steal my work of any sort.

And this other statement of yours:

I think I have finished my model (in concept), so I'm waiting for anybody to pick my model up to add in these details (as additional subobjects, like fightermedic's).

Are slightly contradictory. What do you mean by "pick up"? Do you mean "continue my work", or do you mean "Pick this for a campaign"?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I wonder if your experience with Betrayal and your last model has... somewhat clouded your understanding of how things typically work around here. The likelihood that someone else will come along and do the grunt work of UV mapping, LoDding and converting (let alone the texturing) is... vanishingly small. That kind of work takes a lot of investment in time and effort from people, and as a general rule, it's rare for people to do that for someone else's work. Not unheard of, obviously, but I'd strongly advise against simply assuming that it's going to happen. You should consider a backup plan of learning to do those things yourself if you want your models to make it ingame.

And it's turned into quite a decent model - we need more good quality Shivan ships, so it'd be a real shame if it just spend the next little while collecting dust while you waited for someone to convert it for you, and never made it ingame.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
The Dagger, my Sariel, just like the others, is intended to be shown on p3d. I have no intention of sharing them or letting others to steal my work of any sort.

As I said before, the concept for the Sariel is done, now its time for me to do some serious modelling, based on the suggestions by Trivial Psychic and Betrayal.

I believe The Dagger wasn't referring to your models but you taking other people's models from pd3 for your own use.

May I also suggest attempting to take up learning how to UV texture and do texturing of your own. Such skills have many uses and have practical applications to RL and a overall good skill to have, that way you'll also not have to rely on others ^^.

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Yeah, I was talking about the tool you linked to download models from p3d. I guessed you where saying that you'll be using other peoples models as a base for yours. I was reproving on that.

You are improving on your skills, but as everyone is saying, you can't count on other people doing the boring stuff. I've taken the time to learn to texture and I find it cool, though it takes me a lot of time and it's not quite good enough yet. But if you go the extra mile you won't regret it: learning and improving is very satisfying and it'll make you truly usefull to the comunity. If not, you'll probably get bored waiting, people won't help you anymore and finally, you won't end up contributing that much.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If someone has the model I'm interested in, I can make a proposal and use my skills help both of us, but only if the model is good and I have place for it in my productions. Sorry, but I'm not a good fairy to help with every model. Of course I may take request or offer my help, but only when I have time for this. Most of the experianced modders have their own projects to work on, and this takes most of their time. Don't feel dissapointed, I'm sure everybody would be glad help you or give some advices but... Yeah, they don't have time.

I took the Raguel and I will finish it when it's needed. I promised and You will get your model finished. For now Abraham and texturing of some other model are my priority. Believe me, I'm a busy man.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Awrighty, looking better! :) The new design now looks more like a proper Shivan ship.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You had to stop using parts of other models... o___O
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Luis Dias

Sariel the frankenshivan.

I don't disapprove of the kitbashing. At all.

Offline Lorric

I am liking this design as well now.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Regarding the look at the modding section of the August '14 newsletter, of which I am impressed so that I make this as my final revision, it looks like a gigantic amalgamation of the Lucifer/Rakshasa with four Cain/Lilith arms and symmetrical Ravana-style fighterbays. I know it may look like a gigantic Shivan version of the Colonial battlestar Pegasus. The one that Cylon basestars will have no chance of surviving :)

I've updated the p3d as a minor change to my final revision. Considering the next steps suggested earlier by someone upon finishing my model, I would like to start my process of getting this model into the game. First, I just have to UV-wrap it, rather than using tile textures. Second, I want to make textures, which I do not plan to use any of these from the FreeSpace Universe tile map pack. And thirdly, I want to make conversion processes. But before I begin, I would like to attach turrets, shielding, and other parts as destroyable subobjects. These turrets range from beam cannons, laser batteries, VLS torpedo launchers and missile batteries (these would probably include Shivan SSM strikes).

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I don't believe that I find these new additions to my liking.  The bolt-on Ravana figherbay/engine pods don't seem to fit with the rest of the model, and appear too small proportionally.  I would have suggested more elongated fighterbays in tight to the hull, and retained the waist spikes of your previous updates.  The switch of the ventral engine substructure is a good way to add the under-head engine I was in favor of earlier, but this appears to have all but eliminated your previous ventral tooth, which was a staple of your unique design.  Also, the use of the Cain/Lilith style forward boom seem to me to be improper to use in fours.  In my opinion therefore, the ventral forward claw should be deleted.  I do however like your use of the Rakshasa-style curved ventral spike on the belly of the aft engine segment.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
So its a lilirakshucifvana? Is surprisingly good for being a frankenship.

Chin arm looks excessive, I agree - doesn't need to be there.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Two cents from me:

1. Set all smoothing to Smooth.
2. Properities -> Modiffiers -> Add Modiffier -> Edge Split.

Jesus, is this really that hard?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Two cents from me:

1. Set all smoothing to Smooth.
2. Properities -> Modiffiers -> Add Modiffier -> Edge Split.

Jesus, is this really that hard?
Not that hard.

I've updated my p3d once more. It should bring back my unique design: a ventral tooth that all of you were saying.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Molaris

IMO, something needs to come from the sides up along the top. Like 2 more hangers in the middle or some spines somewhere. But looking AWESOME either way man. can't wait. just thought I'd throw those out there. Keep up the good work
"Hey, Mike, you think you can toss me my calculations? Thanks! Ah, here it is: "Breach Hull - All Die." Even had it underlined!" -Crow T. Robot-