Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109054 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
AFAIK someone brought up that FS1 is available for a reasonable price and we are kind of sort of undercutting their sales (on Steam and GOG) by basically offering FS1 for free.  It would be like porting Half-Life 1 & expansions / Portal 1 to Half-Life 2 / Portal 2 for free as long as you owned HL2/P2.
Yeah, can you imagine if people could play a remake of Half-Life 1 on a newer engine for free?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

Please tell me you aren't going to require FS1 to be installed on the system... because screw that. I'm not installing a game that doesn't run on modern systems just to be able to get some voice files.
Fortunately, It looks like it won't really be necessary to install FS1 first. On the retail CDs at least, all the VPs are stored in-the-plain, not locked up in InstallShield CAB files that absolutely nothing except InstallShield can open. I'm not completely sure how it is with the GOG.com version, though.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I'm not completely sure how it is with the GOG.com version, though.
Could maybe use InnoExtractor like for installing FS2 from the GOG installer on non-Windows systems?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

Could maybe use InnoExtractor like for installing FS2 from the GOG installer on non-Windows systems?
I'm sure that's possible, but I was wondering whether the VP files could be read or extracted from the GOG.com installer without installing the whole game.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

i tried extract voice files from freespace.vp and voc.vp from gog freespace1 (i installed it with wine and used maja for vp manipulation), i created stu_fs2.vp and got voice in missions, training and command briefings, but there was still missing voice acting in mission briefings and end mission debriefings.
so i downloaded fsport 3.3 from this link: http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.639 and used included stu_fs2.vp, now everything works.

thanks guys for advices and for solving my problem;)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I'm sure that's possible, but I was wondering whether the VP files could be read or extracted from the GOG.com installer without installing the whole game.
AFAIK, it treats the installer like any other archive, so you can pick and choose specific files to extract.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
AFAIK, it treats the installer like any other archive, so you can pick and choose specific files to extract.

Unfortunately no.  The files can only be extracted by InnoExtract, which is an all-or-nothing extractor.

I suspect we'll offer a prompt with three options: extract from installed game, extract from CD, extract from GOG package.  (And perhaps that third option will imply a full parallel installation of FS1.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Oops; I wound up searching for InnoExtractor instead. Although that raises another question: could we use InnoUnp instead? It seems to have support for extracting individual files.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FSPort... consistently muddying up the user experience. Oh whatever.. it's your mod and, thankfully, I don't have to deal with this crap anymore.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Oops; I wound up searching for InnoExtractor instead. Although that raises another question: could we use InnoUnp instead? It seems to have support for extracting individual files.

Quote from: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/any_way_to_extract_the_contents_of_the_gog_installers
      Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if there is a way to extract the contents of the GOG installer files?

I'm thinking maybe for such games as Duke 3D and Blood that I'd like to be able to get at the game content files (.grp files for Duke) so that I can use them with source ports (eDuke32 and the upcoming DarkXL which will play Blood). Rather than install them, get the required files, and then uninstall the games again.

Innounp

TL;DR:  Yes it should be possible according ^ that.

Offline Yarn

...extract from GOG package.  (And perhaps that third option will imply a full parallel installation of FS1.)
Maybe you could extract to a temporary folder, copy/move whatever resources are needed, and then delete that folder.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

It also only provides builds for Windows.  Now, the source is available, but the source is written in Object Pascal, which I am not familiar with.  There are Object Pascal compilers available for multiple compilers, so it is at least theoretically possible, but this would involve significant research.  Considering that I wasted a month trying to get a build of InnoExtract for just Windows XP, I am not eager to invest the amount of time that would be required.  Plus, InnoExtract is good enough for our purposes and is already integrated into the FSO Installer.

...extract from GOG package.  (And perhaps that third option will imply a full parallel installation of FS1.)

Maybe you could extract to a temporary folder, copy/move whatever resources are needed, and then delete that folder.

That's what I'm thinking, but I figure it might be nice to offer the user the option to install the full FS1.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yes, stu_fs1.vp has been removed from the FSPort distribution.  We are working on a way to allow importing the voice data from an installation of FS1.

In the meantime, if you have FS1, you can use a VP extractor to copy the voice files to the FSPort's mod folder.
Which is fine in principle but is extremely not newbie-friendly. You're not the one handling the support requests on IRC asking where are the voices gone.

You should probably have delayed release until you had an automated extraction up and running, or left 3.4 in place of 3.5 on the installer at the very least.

Until then, I'm gonna keep redirecting newbies to 3.4.

*sigh* as if FSport wasn't enough of a mess to deal with as it is...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:22:21 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Bloody hell what a dumb thing to do. Enjoy your unnecessary support nightmare because of 'principle's'.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Which is fine in principle but is extremely not newbie-friendly. You're not the one handling the support requests on IRC asking where are the voices gone.

You should probably have delayed release until you had an automated extraction up and running, or left 3.4 in place of 3.5 on the installer at the very least.

Except that we haven't removed voices from the FSO Installer yet, only from the release thread.  Newbies should be using the Installer anyway.  Is there some reason that all of them are trying to install it manually?

Offline indyfan

In all honesty i did it manually and screwed up with FS Port and using the media vps. I'm trying to do it manually so i can learn something about modding, and where files need to be etc. Also in case the launcher becomes obsolete( if this awesome site ever  closes).

I'm actually using the launcher to fix whatever I screwed up. Somethings i did right since it said mod up to date.

Quick question can i simply back up the Fs port, Fs port mediavps , fsport media vps_2014, fs:str, and mediavps_2014 folders(from the Freespace 2 folder on my PC) onto my portable hard drive so i can easily just drag them back to the C:games/Freespce2/  folder if i decide to uninstall?

Basically avoiding using the launcher and avoid using winrar later on in life

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In all honesty i did it manually and screwed up with FS Port and using the media vps. I'm trying to do it manually so i can learn something about modding, and where files need to be etc. Also in case the launcher becomes obsolete( if this awesome site ever  closes).

Ah, a tinkerer. :)  I'm very pleased to hear this.  Often the best way to figure out how something works is to take it apart and rebuild it.

Careful with the terminology though.  The Installer and Launcher are two different things.  The first downloads the mods; the second chooses the mods and configures the game.

I'm actually using the [installer] to fix whatever I screwed up. Somethings i did right since it said mod up to date.

Yup, it has numerous safeguards for exactly this reason.  It's not foolproof though, and it is possible to screw things up and prevent the mod from working.  But we on HLP can help you out if you get into that situation.

Quick question can i simply back up the Fs port, Fs port mediavps , fsport media vps_2014, fs:str, and mediavps_2014 folders(from the Freespace 2 folder on my PC) onto my portable hard drive so i can easily just drag them back to the C:games/Freespce2/  folder if i decide to uninstall?

Indeed you can.  In fact you can do this with the entire FreeSpace2 folder if you want.

Offline indyfan

Ah, a tinkerer. :)  I'm very pleased to hear this.  Often the best way to figure out how something works is to take it apart and rebuild it.

Careful with the terminology though.  The Installer and Launcher are two different things.  The first downloads the mods; the second chooses the mods and configures the game.

I'm actually using the [installer] to fix whatever I screwed up. Somethings i did right since it said mod up to date.

Yup, it has numerous safeguards for exactly this reason.  It's not foolproof though, and it is possible to screw things up and prevent the mod from working.  But we on HLP can help you out if you get into that situation.

Indeed you can.  In fact you can do this with the entire FreeSpace2 folder if you want.

Haha, yeah I love figuring things out on computers.

One time I used the installer and it failed a few times on a few files. No idea why. That pushed me to try it manually. I'm happy I accomplished most of it.

That's awesome if can simply copy the entire folder for much easier installation later. Do I have to worry about te registry for the vanilla game?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
There are a few registry settings used, but the launcher should set those as needed.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

No english text,laungage, or cutscenes?