Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109063 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
If I want to use both the 2012 and 2014 VPs, then I'll need to create both 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps'  'freespace2/fsport-mediavps_2014'  of those folders correct?
Yes.
I also presume I would then put the 3.6.12 VPs link (under "Optional Downloads" in the OP) into the 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps' folder and the 2014 VPs add on in the 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps_2014' folder?
Yes.  You should also copy the 3.6.12 Port VPs into the 2014 folder, so that the 2014 folder contains the 3.6.12 Port VPs plus the add-on.  (At least, that's how things are configured currently.  Soon I'll change how the mod is set up so that no copying is necessary.
Finally, which of those two folders would I put the FS1 remastered music download (the third link under "Optional Downloads") into?
Both.  (Again, just for the time being.)

Really, I would recommend using the FSO Installer (see the top navbar) as it handles all of this for you.

Why would anyone try this manually? The installer ques up the downloads and installs everything for you. We wanted the installer for many years so enjoy it

Offline CT27

I had already had everything necessary downloaded manually prior to the Installer being completed recently.

Plus, FS2 was put on my computer via my retail copy (SOTY).

Huh?

This is a brand new FS Port version 3.5 released on Feb 2nd. The installer has been done for months now. My Freespace 2 install was all up to date using the installer every few weeks (as they were adding more and more campaigns) but when I ran it on the Feb 2rd it downloaded and installed the 3.5 stuff automatically. That is why you should always use the installer. It keeps you install clean and updated as well as making sure all the files are in the proper place.

Offline CT27

I had my FSO stuff installed from retail CD years ago.  This was before the installer was completed months ago.

I was also told the installer is only for use if you got FS2 through GOG.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I had my FSO stuff installed from retail CD years ago.  This was before the installer was completed months ago.

I was also told the installer is only for use if you got FS2 through GOG.
No, it can only install FS2 for you if you have the GOG installer; it's intended for installing FSO+Mods on all existing FS2 installations.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

So basically, even if I installed FS2 through a retail copy, I can still use the Installer for future stuff?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Mmhmm

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
So basically, even if I installed FS2 through a retail copy, I can still use the Installer for future stuff?
Can and arguably should; it greatly simplifies things and (hopefully) standardizes how mods get installed, to reduce the frequency with which incorrectly-installed mods need troubleshooting.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I installed FS2 from my retail discs, and used the installer for everything else.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

By the way, why are Tango_hi -files supposed to be installed in "fsport" folder instead of "fsport-mediaVPs"? I thought fsport was supposed to only contain "original fidelity" content and fsport-mediaVPs was the collection of upgraded stuff.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Because those are the high-res versions of the regular cbanims.  It's analogous to sparky_fs2 and sparky_hi_fs2.  Even though they are only enabled on FSO, I don't see why one should put them in fsport-mediavps.

Hello HLP forums. I am really in need of some assistance here.
When I installed FSPort and its associated fsport-MediaVPs_2014 files I ended up with these errors: (see attachment) and the game refuses to start the mod.
This is the third redownload/reinstallation of the mod today that I had to do; followed all given instructions to the letter, but to no avail.  :banghead: Is there a step that I may have missed in installation? Or must something have messed up with the download itself?
Thank you.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is the same problem that Reloaded experienced, as seen here.  The solution is to not use 3.7.2 RC1, RC2, RC3, or RC4.  Either use RC5 or a 3.7.1 or earlier build.

Offline CT27

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I may try it later this weekend.

Since I've never used it before, what should I do if I just want the new FSPort stuff (3.5) and the Silent Threat:  Reborn updated that came out a few days ago) and not everything else?

Also, since I already have FSPort 3.4 installed, will this Installer automatically uninstall the previous version before it puts 3.5 in or should I delete 3.4 first?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Just start the installer, select "custom", pick the options you want (you can also grab RC5 from hear it you haven't already), and let the installer do its thing. 

Not sure about deleting 3.4 first.  I didn't do that and it seems fine.

Good luck!!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
You don't need to delete FSPort 3.4; in fact, the files that haven't changed, the installer should recognize as being the same, and only download the new stuff.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline CT27

You don't need to delete FSPort 3.4; in fact, the files that haven't changed, the installer should recognize as being the same, and only download the new stuff.

Does that mean the installer will automatically delete the fsport3_4.vp file in my 'freespace2/fsport' folder and replace it with the fsport3_5.vp file?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Why would anyone try this manually? The installer ques up the downloads and installs everything for you. We wanted the installer for many years so enjoy it

Because the installer fails to detect what is present already and I am not in the mood of redownloading everything.

EDIT: When I think about it, there should really be an option to scan for these things, e.g. based on directory and VP names. Would not be perfect but good enough...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:05:46 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.