Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109059 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
So you are saying, create a list of all files and their SHA-1 hashes, put those in a text file, and then create a SHA-1 hash of that generated text file?  Because, if so, that's bloody brilliant, because then you can just hash the text file almost instantly, and only parse individual files if that check fails.

Goober, does your Installer utilize this trick?

*facepalm*

No, it is not brilliant; no, it is not a trick; and no, the installer does not do it that way.

Hmm.  Today is quite an off day for me, and I don't know what I was thinking.   Well, I know, but I don't know why I thought it would work.  Apparently I needed more than one X-L coffee today.  :nono:

Sorry.

I just wanted to Thank you guys for helping me figure out why I was Having trouble getting The mods to work right. I was just used to doing everything the old command line way. Got cockpits is fs2 now still having trouble getting cockpits to work in fsport. I can get cockpits to work but then cant see ships just engine glow and that with $flag (showship) and +noreplace in the ships table I found in one of the threads. Wrong ships table maybe. AS i said its been a long time since I messed around with freespace

Offline AV8R

Props to Mjn.Mixael for his work on the updated flight decks. Such a breath of fresh air from the old, pixilated originals. Those old decks needed a new coat of paint.  :yes:

Offline noz

• Steam
    • Twitter
hello!
thank you for this mod but i have a probleme
once downloaded the game it lauches more cutcene walk with the french translate is perfect but i came to the driver select the game asking me to cut it cancels with as an indication of incomprehensible thing for me i think so has a probleme of compatibility and have download the rc5 version wxluncher butnothing here please help
thank you

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You are using Media VPS 3.6.14 with rc5, right?

You might want to run the Installer again, just to be sure it can get any files missed the first time (it should have warned you if that was the case, but maybe you didn't see it?)

If you are still having trouble, Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
* AdmiralRalwood winces

That's the 2014 MediaVPs with FSO 3.7.2 RC5.

You might want to run the Installer again, just to be sure it can get any files missed the first time (it should have warned you if that was the case, but maybe you didn't see it?)

If you are still having trouble, Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
This is definitely what you should do, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline hxazgalor

• Anything but Shivan
    • My Blog
I've been meaning to ask (a dumb question, I think): when you guys update FSPort, is it just the Core downloads that are updated, or all of the required and optional assets? :confused:

BTW, I usually do manual installations :3 :P

EDIT: New question - is it possible to use the VPs with the original FS1 media in 3.5?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:18:45 am by hxazgalor »
"Stars looking at a planet
Watching entropy and pain
And maybe start to wonder how
The chaos in our lives could pass as sane"
~ Switchfoot, 'Stars'

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
* AdmiralRalwood winces

Bah.  Next version of MVPs should be called Galatea.  :ick:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've been meaning to ask (a dumb question, I think): when you guys update FSPort, is it just the Core downloads that are updated, or all of the required and optional assets? :confused:

It really depends on the release.  The intention was to just update a few files, but most releases see all files updated in one way or another.

EDIT: New question - is it possible to use the VPs with the original FS1 media in 3.5?

Generally no, but for different reasons.  The models, missions, and tables can't be used directly, because they need to be updated for FS2 formats.  The voice VPs can't be used because Volition changed the directory names from "briefings" and "debriefings" to "briefing" and "debriefing", for some reason.  The music could be used directly but it isn't in a VP by itself.  I think the cbanims are the only things that could be copied over directly.  I'd have to study my FS1 installation to sort out all the differences.

Offline hxazgalor

• Anything but Shivan
    • My Blog
Aite, thanks for the heads-up. I hope it all works out :D
"Stars looking at a planet
Watching entropy and pain
And maybe start to wonder how
The chaos in our lives could pass as sane"
~ Switchfoot, 'Stars'

hi
thanx for releasing new fsport. it looks amazing with mediavps 2014.
i tried install it with java installer, but the installer was unable to install fsport-mediavps-2014.
So i deleted fsport and fsportmediavps folders and downloaded all files manualy (i used links from first post), now everythink works, but i dont hear voiceacting in briefing and missions.
its expected behavior or i do something wrong??
i use linux and fsopen3.7.2 compiled from source.

thanx for answer and sorry for my bad english;)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hi, voice acting should work in fsport, to help us pinpoint the issue please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

hi and thanx for quick reply.
u can read log here:
https://archrulez.org/soubory/fsport-fs2_open.log.txt

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
hi and thanx for quick reply.
u can read log here:
https://archrulez.org/soubory/fsport-fs2_open.log.txt
You appear to be missing stu_fs1.vp, which contains the voice files.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, stu_fs1.vp has been removed from the FSPort distribution.  We are working on a way to allow importing the voice data from an installation of FS1.

In the meantime, if you have FS1, you can use a VP extractor to copy the voice files to the FSPort's mod folder.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Why did you do that?  copyright reasons?
Is that going to happen to any other files as well?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
AFAIK someone brought up that FS1 is available for a reasonable price and we are kind of sort of undercutting their sales (on Steam and GOG) by basically offering FS1 for free.  It would be like porting Half-Life 1 & expansions / Portal 1 to Half-Life 2 / Portal 2 for free as long as you owned HL2/P2.

Yes, stu_fs1.vp has been removed from the FSPort distribution.  We are working on a way to allow importing the voice data from an installation of FS1.

In the meantime, if you have FS1, you can use a VP extractor to copy the voice files to the FSPort's mod folder.

Those are in freespace.vp and voc.vp for GOG, not sure about retail / Steam.

Wouldn't it have been easier to only allow installation upon verification of an FS1 install by checking FS1 hashes or something?  Like if you had a list of hashes for file from an FS1 CD / install, a GOG setup file, and Steam's FS1 (if different from retail), then I would think that would prove ownership, right?

'cause importing would involve at least extracting from multiple .vp files, probably repacking them as well, and if you have FS1 retail on CD and can't install it due to 16-bit installers, or a scratched disk, oh, what a headache.. 

I'm just saying importing seems to be a big pain, and hash verification would do the trick easier, right? (At least as far as that one-trick pony goes -- verifying or importing won't stop easy access if folks won't buy it!)

To be clear, I support what is being attempted.  I'm just not sure why we are trying for importation vs. validation.

EDIT: Just in case anyone thinks I'm supporting piracy by posting said image above -- I'm only trying to say that yes we should encourage ownership, but we can't pretend that we can force the issue, so why not go for the easiest option to prove ownership (as steps to fake ownership are trivial (indeed, even unnecessary if one just downloads the whole of the SCP + MVPs + mods in one go!)  Also - no site name, no URL, but if it's deemed inappropriate, my apologies & please remove it.

EDIT2:  Of course, I should also say, if a method is developed to import all forms of legal FS1 data (CD, GOG, Steam) that is reliable and painless for the end user, please forget I ever said anything about it, and kudos to whoever develops that!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:28:51 am by jr2 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
AFAIK someone brought up that FS1 is available for a reasonable price and we are kind of sort of undercutting their sales (on Steam and GOG) by basically offering FS1 for free.  It would be like porting Half-Life 1 & expansions / Portal 1 to Half-Life 2 / Portal 2 for free as long as you owned HL2/P2.

The main problem is that when Galemp originally asked for (and received) permission to port FS1, his question did not cover things like the voice acting.  That remains a gray area, so we want to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Wouldn't it have been easier to only allow installation upon verification of an FS1 install by checking FS1 hashes or something?

Irrelevant.  It's the principle of the thing.

EDIT2:  Of course, I should also say, if a method is developed to import all forms of legal FS1 data (CD, GOG, Steam) that is reliable and painless for the end user, please forget I ever said anything about it, and kudos to whoever develops that!

This is the plan.  The good news is that Yarn will be contributing his time and efforts as well, so this goal should be finished about ten times more quickly than if I did it all myself.  Stay tuned.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please tell me you aren't going to require FS1 to be installed on the system... because screw that. I'm not installing a game that doesn't run on modern systems just to be able to get some voice files.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Wouldn't it have been easier to only allow installation upon verification of an FS1 install by checking FS1 hashes or something?

Irrelevant.  It's the principle of the thing.

It's also a really ineffective form of DRM which doesn't actually change the fact that you're redistributing the content without permission. You either distribute the voice files freely or not at all, faffing around with contrived compromises is pointless.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.