Author Topic: Have you ever wondered, what the GTVA thinks of Alpha 1?  (Read 12164 times)

Have you ever wondered, what the GTVA thinks of Alpha 1?
You would think that someone in the military or civilian bureaucracy would notice that a fighter pilot has racked up more kills than a destroyer, including capital ship kills. Not to mention that on many missions you might end up being the sole survivor. Or even that during bombing missions the only one actually following orders and destroying the correct targets instead of wasting their bombs on frigates. Even stranger, Alpha one is badass enough to fly within a few feet of a shivan destroyer before releasing his payload right into a beam cannon, while the other 12 or so bombers wimp out and launch from a kilometer away.

Surely its time to start a cloning program or at least take him out of the fight and make him a trainer. Or even better, promote him and make him captain of a Corvette. That Deimos will be killing Sathanas in no time!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:18:21 am by mosshadow »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Have you ever wonder, what the GTVA thinks of Alpha 1?
It's just one of those "don't think too much about it" things about FS. You know, like physics.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Alpha 1 has been making use of the extreme nootropic effects of Bosch Beer.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Alpha 1 is the cover story for a prototype AI in a believable human shell which takes 20 years and a star system's financial output to produce each time.  The loss of the first unit in Sol was nearly the deathblow to the project until a second prototype was located and activated for use in the GTI fighter corps.

After the relative success of this second unit it was decided to rebuild and evolve the project prompting a 3rd prototype which came online in time for the end of the NTF rebellion and the second encounter with the Shivans.

With the 3rd prototype recovered it is believed that a 4th is under development in a highly discrete GTVI facility.  It is unknown if a Vasudan analogue has been developed or if the Vasudans even know of the project.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
highly discrete GTVI facility

It's very definitely one GTVI facility. Not 1.5 or 0.70710678118 of them.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
I just love how in the very first mission of FS1 you are Alpha 1, even if you seem less experienced (complete newbie) compared to Alpha 2

I don't want to break the immersion, but imo the Volition guys just wanted you to be Alpha 1 at all time, for some reason.
(just like why Vasudans would send waves of damaged Anubis 2-3 at a time in the first mission ? A punishment maybe ?)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
highly discrete GTVI facility

It's very definitely one GTVI facility. Not 1.5 or 0.70710678118 of them.

With the GTVI all bets are off
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Alpha one as a single person is not canon. Just like when Beta 3 gets shot down in a mission yet there's another Beta 3 in the next mission Alpha 1 gets replaced by another Alpha 1 every time you die.
Try playing on insane with no restarts, see how far you can get. That's the canon life expectancy of Alpha 1.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Kie99

They do in Freespace 2, he's sent on exchange missions as the best the Terrans have to offer, put on SOC missions and put at the head of his own elite squad.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

We only know that the Alpha 1 at the end a squadron arc is the same guy as the Alpha one in the first mission of the next arc and that he's the same person throughout the SOC Loops(but no mention of the Alpha 1 from the first SOC Loop is made in the 2nd). After your transfer no references are made to any of your previous assignments.
For all we know, the Alpha 1 who just transferred in to the 242nd might have died on his 3rd sortie and the Alpha 1 that leaves to do some SOC work isn't the same guy, just someone from the same squadron.

The Head of the 70th Blue Lions might have been some other Alpha 1 that also distinguished himself in the Nebula and NTF civil war but he was flying completely different missions than the other Alpha 1s we play.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:42:43 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I just love how in the very first mission of FS1 you are Alpha 1, even if you seem less experienced (complete newbie) compared to Alpha 2

is it even possible in FS1's engine for the player (in a singleplayer mission) to be anyone other than A1? I remember FRED doesn't let you, but idk how FS would have handled it if you used notepad...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Only one way to find out...

Avoid Alpha 1 and you won't get hit, pilot. :shaking:

Re: Have you ever wondered, what the GTVA thinks of Alpha 1?
I have never thought that Alpha 1 was any one person in particular. The story of freespace 2 is trying to show the entire GTVA war machine to the player. You are simply the pilot who was given the designation Alpha 1 for that particular mission.

I have never thought that Alpha 1 was any one person in particular. The story of freespace 2 is trying to show the entire GTVA war machine to the player. You are simply the pilot who was given the designation Alpha 1 for that particular mission.

But your kills are tracked, thats why you get all those awards.

But your kills are tracked, thats why you get all those awards.

That is simply because it would be a bad idea from a gameplay standpoint to individually track kills for each alpha 1 you play as.

They do in Freespace 2, he's sent on exchange missions as the best the Terrans have to offer, put on SOC missions and put at the head of his own elite squad.

And then executed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Alpha one as a single person is not canon. Just like when Beta 3 gets shot down in a mission yet there's another Beta 3 in the next mission Alpha 1 gets replaced by another Alpha 1 every time you die.
Try playing on insane with no restarts, see how far you can get. That's the canon life expectancy of Alpha 1.

If Alpha 1's multiple deaths are canon, that would make every mission failure also canon.  Since, canonically, the missions proceed according to the campaign story, then, canonically, Alpha 1 doesn't die until, at the earliest, the end of the last mission.  (In both FS1 and FS2.  It's actually possible to die and still complete the FS1 campaign.)

Alpha 1 is the cover story for a prototype AI in a believable human shell which takes 20 years and a star system's financial output to produce each time.  The loss of the first unit in Sol was nearly the deathblow to the project until a second prototype was located and activated for use in the GTI fighter corps.

After the relative success of this second unit it was decided to rebuild and evolve the project prompting a 3rd prototype which came online in time for the end of the NTF rebellion and the second encounter with the Shivans.

With the 3rd prototype recovered it is believed that a 4th is under development in a highly discrete GTVI facility.  It is unknown if a Vasudan analogue has been developed or if the Vasudans even know of the project.

I like this theory. :nod:

The real-world reason why the player was always Alpha 1 is that the single-player game code made certain assumptions to simplify things.  The restriction was removed in FSO.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Alpha 1 is one person but a good pilot. The player can search through possible universes until they find one where A1 flies all of their missions well. The ace's achievements aren't too ridiculous compared to some of the superb pilots and soldiers humanity has seen in past wars, especially because flying on Insane requires caution and teamwork.

Offline Lorric

Both Alpha 1s I see as a single person in their respective game. Both would take their place alongside the greats of human military history.

Of course in reality they're your classic silent and unseen player protagonist.

Also, the Alpha 1s do get noticed in game, taking a meteoric rise through the ranks and gaining access to the latest ships and weapons and being placed in charge of the entire force of fighters and bombers on the most critical of missions.