Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery -- This is the good ****  (Read 45386 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Star Trek Discovery -- This is the good ****
Everyone's suggesting captain Lorca is originally from the mirror universe. There's some problems with this line of thought because it's just too convenient plot-wise for this to be the case - the fact they got into the mirror universe cannot be blamed on Lorca without destroying the entire plot about the spores so far, and so the coincidence is just too much to bear - but I guess it makes sense tonally speaking.

I hope they don't make that move.

There are some very interesting questions going forward, like for instance, was MU Discovery also toying with the spores? What is dark Stamets' intentions? What did the emperor expect from Discovery?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm rather wondering if the two Discovery's switched places.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mikes

I'm rather wondering if the two Discovery's switched places.

I'm wondering if the Universe they started out in even is the universe we know from TOS/TNG or something entirely different. ;-)

Also that last scene ... I bet it's not just two of them in that place, if they go full multiverse ... this is gonna get interesting.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This is the good ****. Yes, the pilot episodes does have the seemingly unavoidable ten minutes of expospeak. But once we're past that (and once you get past the fact that this show avoids translation convention), this is probably the best Star Trek ever since the high days of TNG and DS9.

Given that you and I have a completely opposite opinion on movies/series so far, and from what I've seen of discovery so far looks like s****.... yeah, I have no high hopes.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
This is the good ****. Yes, the pilot episodes does have the seemingly unavoidable ten minutes of expospeak. But once we're past that (and once you get past the fact that this show avoids translation convention), this is probably the best Star Trek ever since the high days of TNG and DS9.

Given that you and I have a completely opposite opinion on movies/series so far, and from what I've seen of discovery so far looks like s****.... yeah, I have no high hopes.

Did you just drop in to **** on the thread, or did you have something constructive to add?  If the former, cut it out.  If the latter, anytime now would be good.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Luis Dias

Everyone's suggesting captain Lorca is originally from the mirror universe. There's some problems with this line of thought because it's just too convenient plot-wise for this to be the case - the fact they got into the mirror universe cannot be blamed on Lorca without destroying the entire plot about the spores so far, and so the coincidence is just too much to bear - but I guess it makes sense tonally speaking.

Ok, so they went there. Now they have to explain how on earth he pulled it off, because it just seems incredibly ridiculous plot-wise. There are so many moments that do not fit into this arc, that I'm having trouble fitting it together. OTOH, there are others who do now, like for instance him keeping the blaster near himself while he made love to Georgiou.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm not entirely sure that the Lorca confirmation (we can't really call it a reveal, can we) destroys the entire spore plot.

And yeah, I'm not sure why they felt the need to make light sensitivity a mirror universe trait. Feels like one bridge too far to me, honestly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I finally got to sit down and binge the whole series so far...I caught the first two episodes when they came out, got a very "meh" feel from it.  After the RL stuff and the holiday season are over I finally got around to picking it up again and, I have to say I'm genuinely entertained.  I kinda like the overall storyline (the ongoing war that they're not always hip-deep in), and I honestly liked T'kuvma--I was sorry to see him killed off so early.  I thought the idea of a potential living Klingon messiah would've been interesting to explore...even if his ultimate fate was sealed.  (It almost seemed like they were setting him up to explore a "Klingon Warrior Religion.")

I'm not going to spoil anything here from the most recent few episodes, but I did not see the plot twists coming (though one of them was almost obvious in hindsight).

Couple of thoughts and comments on the series in general:

1)  The "overall look" of everything...it's certainly different than what should be there, and not all of it good or bad...I'm wondering why there are absolutely zero gold, red, and blue shirts so far...
2)  Technology seems more updated than fifty years ago, that's fine.  Technology evolves and our ideas of what it'll be like in two hundred years changes with that.
3)  Series overall does seem more action-oriented than almost any Trek we've seen before, with the exception of later DS9 and some chunks of ENT.  Possibly thats an effort to use exciting action to draw in a larger viewer base early?  Maybe they'll be trying to work out some more....cerebral stuff once this whole first season is wrapped?

But I do have one serious gripe that I just can't let go of:  Does EVERY damn piece of Starfleet's hardware TALK!?
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
#CaptainSaru4life

Offline Mikes

But I do have one serious gripe that I just can't let go of:  Does EVERY damn piece of Starfleet's hardware TALK!?

Yes and that is because the audience got more stupid over the years. Quite obvious now, right?  :lol:

Offline Luis Dias

Captain Saru was awesome. For a moment, I saw Star Trek as I knew it, and it does give the whole first arc more tonal sense, this stuff with Lorca. They were all just in one really bad episode nightmare trip. At least I'm choosing to see it that way.

And I like how they set up stuff for the next episodes. I do wonder where is original Lorca though. Dead? I'm thinking no, he's too good an actor to be left out.

Offline Mikes

Captain Saru was awesome. For a moment, I saw Star Trek as I knew it, and it does give the whole first arc more tonal sense, this stuff with Lorca. They were all just in one really bad episode nightmare trip. At least I'm choosing to see it that way.

And I like how they set up stuff for the next episodes. I do wonder where is original Lorca though. Dead? I'm thinking no, he's too good an actor to be left out.

I can see it already ......... Lorca dies tragically horribly senselessly and...  tada other universe Lorca appears.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Good Lorca, as in a benign and peaceful Lorca will not be a good Lorca to watch though.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mikes

Good Lorca, as in a benign and peaceful Lorca will not be a good Lorca to watch though.

Maybe we'll get lucky and good Lorca will sacrifize himself for bad Lorca then or something? /shrugs

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I got the feeling that mirror-Lorca wasn't all that different from normal-Lorca, given the interactions between him and his crew, and Starfleet's admirals.  Especially admiral whatshername.  Aside from keeping his ulterior motives to himself, I mean.

Besides, clearly normal-universe Lorca was captured by the Klingons months ago and has been kept in prison all this time.  Now, I'd swear I've seen that before somewhere...
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Did you just drop in to **** on the thread, or did you have something constructive to add?  If the former, cut it out.  If the latter, anytime now would be good.

No dissent allowed.

Forgive me for not sucking the throbbing shaft of this series.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You can say you don't like it, but you have to say why. In case you haven't noticed all my comments have been pretty negative. It is possible that the show improved after I stopped watching it around episode five but I ****ing hated the show before that. What I didn't do was a drive-by posting where I simply said it was bad. I said why it was bad and the exact problems I had with it. You didn't do that. If you're not capable of doing it, stay out of the thread.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:59:01 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
No dissent allowed.

Dissent is fine (and welcome).  You didn't give dissent, you dropped a drive-by ****post that didn't contribute to the discussion.  If you'd like to continue doing that, we can give you the opportunity to take a little break and think about how you might better go about contributing to a discussion, from whatever angle you so choose.

You might want to read this again:

In summary: before hitting that post key, ask yourself "Is this post worth posting? Does it actually add anything significant to the discussion? Is it something the other people discussing this issue will want to read? Is it an attempt to explain your point of view or just an attempt to show why you're right? Will it antagonize somebody else simply because I'm annoyed?"  If your answers aren't going to make this a more enjoyable place to visit for everyone, perhaps you should edit that post one more time.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Back on the subject of the show:

-Making light sensitivity a mirror-universe trait was silly.
-Hooray, Captain Saru is awesome.
-Lorca had a bit of a personality change in the last episode, and it was a bit jarring at first.  Mirror-Lorca obviously picked up some positive qualities from his time in Prime, but the transition back to evil self happened a little too quickly to be believable without undermining some of his genuinely good moments earlier in the series.  I thought it could have been handled better.
-Sad to see Lorca go.
-WTF are they going to do with Emperor Georgiou.

I did enjoy the lines leading up to Mirror-Stamos' demise, though the fact that the same didn't happen immediately with the Emperor is a bit of a hole.  I'm also very curious to see where they go from here.

All in all, I'm enjoying a Star Trek show with a defined, continuous arc.  Other Sci-fi has done it really well in the past, and it adds to the ongoing sense of tension.  Bit of a refreshing change from the flavour of the week style of previous Treks, even if the execution has been a little spotty in places.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
-Lorca had a bit of a personality change in the last episode, and it was a bit jarring at first.  Mirror-Lorca obviously picked up some positive qualities from his time in Prime, but the transition back to evil self happened a little too quickly to be believable without undermining some of his genuinely good moments earlier in the series.  I thought it could have been handled better.
-Sad to see Lorca go.

It would have been infinitely more interesting if Lorca's plan had been to actually reform the Empire to a more Federation-like entity. Making him into a standard backstabby terran feels like a step back from the genuinely interesting character the show presented previously.

That said, I am pretty damn certain that that wasn't the last we saw of Jason Isaacs on this show.

-WTF are they going to do with Emperor Georgiou.

Spoiler:
The 1x14 preview seems to hint that she's going to play some role in helping Starfleet defeat the klingons.

Not entirely sure why Starfleet thinks giving a genocidal fascist any sort of authority or listening to their advice is a good idea, but we'll see how it actually shakes out