Author Topic: Freespace 2: First Person Shooter  (Read 46452 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Freespace 2: First Person Shooter
if your really going to do this
take a look at the old projects site for red faction
really good reference!! i think :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by Unknown Target
Hahahaaa, you're funny. This has been stopped and started, what, 10 times already? I even started it at one point! :D :p

are you admitting you're not a "dedicated" fan then ? :p
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm admitting that what he says is wrong :D :p

Meh, you guys have no idea WTF I am thinking. Unlike FS2, FPS moding is much more fun and the challenges you face are easier to get around. Trust me, AvP2 modding was easy and great. I enjoyed it really. But as for UT, I dont know WTF he has against me or what he is planning to do, but it's obvious he wouldnt be a part of this project.

And Raa'... I'm working on it...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Or maybe you're just a dumbass. FS2 modding is VERY easy to learn. Just ask everyone else here. :p

And, hold on, I have to go cry, I'm not going to be a part of this...*sniffle* why are you so mean to meeeee? WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!! :p

And I can't believe you actualy ICQ'd me! What makes you think I'm gonna carry out your whiny little convos with you?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 05:58:16 am by 368 »

Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Unlike FS2, FPS moding is much more fun and the challenges you face are easier to get around.

It's thoughtless garbage like this that makes you such an object of derision round here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 07:28:04 am by 443 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
FS2 modding is much easier - with FPS' there are additional worries to do with kinematics and animations.... not to mention a general need for higher polycounts.  And also a lot of the level builders are a pain in the arse to use when compared with a proper modelling program.

I'd agree with that.  RED, UNREALED, NOLF developer toolset, all they do is confuse me.

FRED2 - much better.
#Bal kote, darasumm knte,
  Jorso'ran kando a tome,
  Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an#

- Traditional Mandalorian war chant

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
oh.... :eek2: my..... :sigh:

FS2 + First Person shooter = teh end.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

I would've thought Unreal 2 could pull it off quite nicely.

Then again, what do I know?
#Bal kote, darasumm knte,
  Jorso'ran kando a tome,
  Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an#

- Traditional Mandalorian war chant

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i'm not even going to try and post some of mi ideas because I would eventualy get kicked around all over this BB.Also i'm not going to try and say enithing "bad" or say mi point of view regarding the ideas posted in this thread because the result would be the same:
(AlphaOne+ideas(good or bad)="I'm going to hold the off much longer!"
"Cover me....,cover meeee...."
Command:"AlphaOne is toast...,I repeat AlphaOne is toats..!"
For cring out loud this place used to be a fun place to visit state ideas and opinions regardeless thei were goo or bad,regardeless of the fact that you said that FS was a good game not so goo game or what ever you get the poin.
The atitude of some of you guis *SUCKS* BIG TIME .
That is all I had to say.
Did eny of you think that maibe for some of the modders out there it mai be easear to mod a FPS....due to more experience in this area..???
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's not that we think it's a bad idea Alpha, but a lot of these ideas have been started from scratch before, and come to a sticky end for various reasons. If TinCan wants to do an FPS that's just fine by me, I can't get involved, since I don't know the first things about modding FPS engines, but if he is looking for people to come flocking to his cause, I'm afraid it's not going to happen.
The fact of the matter is that a lot of people here have some idea of the sheer level of work involved in doing this, even with an Engine that already exists, that is the message people are trying to get across. Implying that somebody is not a 'True Freespace Fan' for not wanting to get involved is not only rather silly, it's also belittles the regular posters on this board have supported and followed this game for years.
That said, if TinCan does manage to get a team together etc, isn't there a graphical update to the Quake Engine somewhere that does shadowing etc etc, that's a well known Engine, and you will probs have more luck with something like that than waiting on games that haven't been released yet and look to be incredibly compplicated to alter?

If you are talking about the Quake 1 engine forget it. Even with the updated graphics it still would not be good for modding something like this. A newer engine would be better.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
No, I think it was Quake 2 or Quake Arena or something.... I'll check in the last thread about a FS2 FPS ;)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by AlphaOne
Well i'm not even going to try and post some of mi ideas because I would eventualy get kicked around all over this BB.Also i'm not going to try and say enithing "bad" or say mi point of view regarding the ideas posted in this thread because the result would be the same:
(AlphaOne+ideas(good or bad)="I'm going to hold the off much longer!"
"Cover me....,cover meeee...."
Command:"AlphaOne is toast...,I repeat AlphaOne is toats..!"
For cring out loud this place used to be a fun place to visit state ideas and opinions regardeless thei were goo or bad,regardeless of the fact that you said that FS was a good game not so goo game or what ever you get the poin.
The atitude of some of you guis *SUCKS* BIG TIME .
That is all I had to say.
Did eny of you think that maibe for some of the modders out there it mai be easear to mod a FPS....due to more experience in this area..???

How would you know? :D
 Plus, the thing is, AO...ah, actually, Flipside explains it best. Most of us have been here for longer than a couple months, and the new  guys that come in here saying that everyone is not a "true Freespace fan" for not coming to aid them in some pie-in-the-sky mod idea, is definately going to offend a lot of people. And, like Flipside said, most of us are working on our OWN mods, and have some idea of the actual work required, unlike Tin Can and yourself, who probably have not done a major mod as of yet (you may have, I don't know).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 10:09:08 am by 368 »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,12509.0.html

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,10426.0.html

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,6867.0.html

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,427.0.html

There's a bunch of junk on MULTIPLE FS2 FPSs. In fact, there would be more, but I think I was too general with the search terms.

But if you'll notice, we were much nicer in those threads. Why? Because the person in those threads wasn't some new guy accusing everyone of not being a true FS fan, just cause they wouldn't come and praise your almighty and all-encompassing ideas.

Offline magatsu1

Actually, taking the original AvP and reskinning the Aliens would be a nice quick botch job, IMO.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
AvP sucks really..I hate the way the characters move!!:)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Meh. You guys took the whole sentance the wrong way.

I said any true FS2 Fan would stick it out through MODing. I didnt say you had to be a true FS2 fan and then make this idea happen. It's like if I say something wrong everyone jumps on it like dogs on a leg.

UnknownTarget: Dibs!
Flipside: No, "I" wanna insult him!
SadisticSid: Too late, I got it first!

I mean, come on people. You don't have to probe for every little thing, and when you screw up what I said I have to fix it about 15 flames latter down the line.

Maybe working with FRED is easier with FPS modding, maybe not. All I know is, since I am comfortable working with it, it's the easiest thing for me to do, so, if I consider it easier, then its my opinion, not the worlds. If you like FREDing and 3DS Max working, and its easy for you, then fine. Its easy for you. I couldnt give a flying **** wheather or not.

Fortunately, all the FPS modding I did was with DEdit, using the Lithtech Engine, and from what I have heard, FPS modding is getting much easier then it was with Lithtech. AvP2 can be a ***** to work with, but in the end it all turns out beautifully. It could work, but the graphical setback of the game wouldn't make it as appealing. From what I've heard, MODing Half Life 2 will be a piece of cake due to its easy-to-work-with source code, and not to mention I've tried out Half Life's level building, and it's fairly easy as well. You get used to it after a while, I guess.

And it isnt AvP, its AvP2. AvP is really old, and havent played it. I dont think they even have a map editor out for it, do they? :wtf:

Eh, if it's all the same, you can help or you dont have to. All I need is a "yes" or "no" not a "OMG you're a dumbass!" deal going on here. When I say any "true FS2 fan would stick it out through modding"

ANY dedicated FS2 fan will stick it out through the making

I swear, you guys misenterpret a lot more things then I thought you guys would.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
From what I've heard, MODing Half Life 2 will be a piece of cake due to its easy-to-work-with source code

:wtf:

Remember these 3 little rules of thought:
- Everything is 3 times harder than it seems.
- Everything takes 5 times of what it was expected.
- Never judge a game or engine before it's out!! :D
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...