Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 761877 times)

Offline Kegel

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Thanks.  This is an absoutely terrific way of patching.  If only this would have been available for Falcon 4 way back when.....

Thanks again for your work!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
For those of you interested in checking it out, I've finished the Alpha version of the Java-based Installer. Try it out here.

The Installer works perfectly, mods and all, but there's no updater or uninstaller yet.

The NSIS Installer will continue to be updated and supported for quite some time. If you're new to FreeSpace Open, get that one instead of this alpha version.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:52:30 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Having a tad of difficulty with the installer.

It seems, though I'm no expert, that the FreeSpaceOpenSetup doesn't like my choice of destination. I have the HotU version of FreeSpace2 installed to G:\Freespace2

Though if I try and get the installer to use the directory, it gives me a bunch of errors, and only successfully puts the RevertToRetail.exe and the UpdateFreeSpaceOpen.exe in the game folder- and tells me the setup was completely successfully. All that worked was the OpenAL installer.

Yet if I let it try and install to the default directory- C:\Games\Freespace2 it seems to work fine. It's now at 84% of downloading mv_models.zip. Whether it will work when it tries to install the downloaded files to a blank directory, I have no idea.

Thanks.
Consider, friend, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
huh. Try downloading the Installer again and see if it works now.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

http://www.students.yorku.ca/~mikereid/freeopen01.JPG
http://www.students.yorku.ca/~mikereid/freeopen02.JPG

Same error. I'm using the link from your first post to download it.

Will I be able to copy the downloaded files from my C:\Games\FreeSpace2 directory over to the actual game directory, G:\Freespace2 ?

I saw that mvlauncher6.cfg in C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps makes reference to the C:\Games\FreeSpace2 directory. I assume changes will need to be made to this file, and possibley others?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
http://www.students.yorku.ca/~mikereid/freeopen01.JPG
http://www.students.yorku.ca/~mikereid/freeopen02.JPG

Same error. I'm using the link from your first post to download it.

Will I be able to copy the downloaded files from my C:\Games\FreeSpace2 directory over to the actual game directory, G:\Freespace2 ?

I saw that mvlauncher6.cfg in C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps makes reference to the C:\Games\FreeSpace2 directory. I assume changes will need to be made to this file, and possibley others?

For you, the problem is that you're tying to install on a drive other than the windows drive, which means NSIS gets confused between $TEMP (C:\WINDOWS\TEMP) and $INSTDIR (G:\Games\FreeSpace2). If you run the Java Alpha, it should avoid this problem.

But yeah, you can just copy over the files and folders you've already downloaded from C:\Games\FreeSpace2 to G:\Games\FreeSpace2. You shouldn't have any problems.

Copied it over to my G:\Directory and the only thing that I got out of freespace open was the 3D hud, no textures.

So I'm going to try the java installer, but don't know what I should do with the files it gives me. By the way, using fire fox and internet explorer gives you two different files. Firefox gives you FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar, and internet explorer gives you FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Copied it over to my G:\Directory and the only thing that I got out of freespace open was the 3D hud, no textures.

So I'm going to try the java installer, but don't know what I should do with the files it gives me. By the way, using fire fox and internet explorer gives you two different files. Firefox gives you FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar, and internet explorer gives you FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip

Try re-downloading the .jar (if it downloads as .zip, rename it to .jar) and then running this. Then you should be able to double-click the .jar file to run it.

And if you say no to the mediavps, it won't give you any new textures.

Like I said- using the HotU install. I suppose I'm going to have to get the game from freespacezone.

http://www.students.yorku.ca/~mikereid/javainstall.JPG

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Like I said- using the HotU install. I suppose I'm going to have to get the game from freespacezone.

http://www.students.yorku.ca/~mikereid/javainstall.JPG

Um.... Try G:\FreeSpace2 instead of G:\Freespace2

Same thing. Though, the freespace2 directory indeed doesn't have the folder and file the installer is looking for.

Offline Kegel

Same thing here.  I didnt have aproblem aon a version I downloaded about a month ago (I just reformatted).  I installed into C/program Files/Freespace 2.  The installer asks me for the directory which I give it.  Install fails in about 3 seconds.  It creates a Games/freespice 2 folder in my root directory and a shortcut (that doesnt point to anything) on my desktop.  What up???

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Same thing. Though, the freespace2 directory indeed doesn't have the folder and file the installer is looking for.

Try downloading the .jar again. I think I've fixed it now.

Same thing here.  I didnt have aproblem aon a version I downloaded about a month ago (I just reformatted).  I installed into C/program Files/Freespace 2.  The installer asks me for the directory which I give it.  Install fails in about 3 seconds.  It creates a Games/freespice 2 folder in my root directory and a shortcut (that doesnt point to anything) on my desktop.  What up???

You really shouldn't be using the Java version unless you know what you're doing or your setup is a bit abnormal (like not installing to C:\).

Get the NSIS version instead. Link is in the first post.

Same error still. I'm almost halfway through downloading the first Freespace 2 cd from freespace zone- and lucky me still has the original Disc 2 & 3.

Though I'll keep trying with the HotU version as well, if only to help fix the installer :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Same error still. I'm almost halfway through downloading the first Freespace 2 cd from freespace zone- and lucky me still has the original Disc 2 & 3.

Though I'll keep trying with the HotU version as well, if only to help fix the installer :)

where are you running the .jar file from?

Desktop, though I just tried it from the Freespace2 directory.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Desktop, though I just tried it from the Freespace2 directory.

Can you post a picture again? I need the line numbers.

Oh, and Kegel? You really shouldn't install to a directory with a space in it. If you do, you'll need to put quotes around the directory it asks for (e.g. "C:\Program Files\FreeSpace2").
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:56:28 pm by Turey »

I replaced the old picture. The new javainstall.jpg is from me running it from the G:\Freespace2 directory.

From what I can see, it's the exact same.

This post marks my 23, yay.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I replaced the old picture. The new javainstall.jpg is from me running it from the G:\Freespace2 directory.

From what I can see, it's the exact same.

This post marks my 23, yay.

I found out what's causing your problem, I'll fix it in a sec.

EDIT: Alright, I think I got it. Try downloading the .jar again.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:19:49 pm by Turey »

New error. I updated the picture.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 06:45:45 pm by Uninvited »