Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 451551 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED
Or the equivalent, yes.

The equivalent? You mean a sexp? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It has "infinite range" because you're scripted to suffer blown subsystems no matter where you are in the mission.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Glad you like it. :D
I think, of all the people who failed that part, 90% of them knew it was you who had just Deus Ex Machina'd them...

Not that it's a bad thing or anything.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, here's the thing.  In the original Silent Threat, the GTI was incredibly incompetent.  They botched the coverup twice, and they deployed the Hades to act essentially as a sitting duck.  This doesn't make for a terribly good story, considering that the GTI is supposed to be formed from the best and the brightest of the GTA.

So in ST:R we tried to make the GTI not only competent, but ahead of the player by several steps.  Over the course of the campaign, in three places the GTI nearly wins outright.  The only reasons they are prevented from doing so are bad timing in the first two instances, and the GTA rolling a miraculous save in the third.  None of these can fairly be blamed on the GTI.

The EMP burst is one of those places where the GTI nearly wins.  I decided that leaving the course of action up to the player would be a good way to communicate the precariousness and gravity of the situation.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It has "infinite range" because you're scripted to suffer blown subsystems no matter where you are in the mission.
Yeah, I found that out myself, tried getting a far as possible and still got shafted.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You do have a point though, Goober. That kind of EMP burst is the sort of thing that GTI would probably use.

Spoiler:
Speaking of which, has anyone tried to force their weapons to the UD-1 Volz?
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yes.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Did any of the GTI in the campaign actually use the Volz?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:nod:

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Really?  I didn't notice.  I was usually to busy shooting, (and getting shot by) the GTI and the Shivans to care WHAT they were shooting me with.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I recall Galemp saying that the Volz is a fairly effective weapon, but I've yet to try it out properly.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I recall Galemp saying that the Volz is a fairly effective weapon, but I've yet to try it out properly.
It's a fast-firing version of the Shivan Light Lazer as far as I can tell.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
It's a fast-firing version of the Shivan Light Lazer as far as I can tell.

I never heard of it until now.... Bearing in mind I never finished STR, I work on it in intervals between my other duties

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
In the original Silent Threat mission Secrets Revealed, there were some Lokis armed with Shivan weapons. We decided that any weapon the GTI uses should be player-useable, so we adjusted its stats and made it a player weapon. Interface art is coming in 3.2, same with the Vasudan Light Laser (VLL-9.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Excellent news. I look forward to it. :)
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Just finished the campaign.

Wow! Just Wow. That was amazing! Everything was just so stinking cool. Great work and a huge :yes: to the entire team!

"He who rides the tiger" was probably my favorite, but not by much.

Offline Ole

Great campaign, I really enjoy playing it. I can't really remember the retail ST - and so can't compare the two -, but this one is really great. Fun to play, some nice twists and of course

Spoiler:
shivans jumping onto my fighter just like in the old ST extra-movie

However, I got one problem (quite possible due to me being an idiot): In the techroom, the Orion shows up in all its HTL glory. However, in the actual mission ("Forced Hand", although I'm pretty sure this applies to all misions involving an Orion), all I get to see is the old, ugly retail version. This seems to be only a problem with the Orion - Ulysses, Herc and all the others show up perfectly fine as HTL models. I have no idea how to fix this - I installed FS2Open and ST:R using the installer and I'm using build fs2_open_3_6_10r-20090322_r5114.exe. Furthermore if I just use the mediaVPs and play the normal FS2 campaign the Orion also shows up as HTL - both in the techroom and in the actual missions. Maybe somebody might be able to help me on this?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
That's already been noted.  It's a code bug.  Any Orion except a standard Orion, the Bastion, or the Galatea shows up as the original, not as an HTL model.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To elaborate a bit, the ships are set up in that way in order to maintain retail FS2 compatibility; apparently, something involving model replacement doesn't play nice with the original game.  According to Goober and Galemp, code changes in the works for 3.6.11 will eventually result in the campaign displaying the HTL model in FS2_Open without having to modify ST:R at all.

Offline Ole

Ah ok. Sorry for bringing that up again then, but obviously I didn't notice that while reading through this thread. Still nice to know that just this time the problem is not sitting in front of my computer :doubt: