Author Topic: R1 By this summer?  (Read 26109 times)

Yep its another post asking when will the mod ever be released.    But id like to really know your best guesstimate as to when you truly think youll have r1 up.    I highly doubt it but is there a chance it will be up this summer?    Also I was thinking you might want to have a thread that shows progress percentage of the mod.    Like by showing how much percent of the models,textures,and scripting is done. SPAAAAAACE!!1 --Jeff
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:00:55 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No. There is no way to predict release dates until very close to release because it is very hard to know how fast tasks will go.

When voice acting gets going, take that as a sign that release is closing in.

Thats what I thought someone would say.

But again could you at least put up a thread with the amount of progress done?

Example:
Modeling-%80 done
Textures-%60 done
Scripting-%30 done
Voice Work-%0 done

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What are those percentages supposed to mean? How would they tell anyone anything? If they don't map to how much time is left (they won't), why even bother, especially when they mean waves of nagging that they're not moving fast enough?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
What are those percentages supposed to mean? How would they tell anyone anything? If they don't map to how much time is left (they won't), why even bother, especially when they mean waves of nagging that they're not moving fast enough?

I'm sure tutta can post some links to studies, graphs and charts addressing the direct relationship between nagging and time spent by the Dev Team addressing nagging rather than developing.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Sorry.    I just figured it might help to let people exactly how much is finished.    Ive seen charts like that for lots of other mods so I thought you might want to do one too. SPAAAAAACE!!1 --Jeff
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:01:15 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I doubt any of them were at all effective at conveying how much time was left until release.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm still at a loss why people ask this sort of question even though we have repeatedly stated that we don't know ourselves and therefore can't guess.

Since you seem to believe you can take a guess when critical project members will be too busy to work on the game and when they'll have time, why don't you tell us when our release date is FreespacePilot?

I've got no problem with saying what we have done and what we are doing. We do things like that. The dev blog is entirely made up of things like that. But asking for guesses of things that we can't guess is pointless and we've flat out said why several times before.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Modeling- 98,5421 % done
Textures -97,4231 % done
Missions - 44,5612 % done
Sound fx - 82,5235 % done
Music -      77,9846 % done
Coding -    0,00024 % done
VA       -    0,00001% done

Overall progress with 2,4% possible min/max variation 85,55312%. Average progress per category for the last 6 months - 6,5656% (variation +-99,53%). Average overall progress for the last 6 months - 6,96969% /+- 69,0%

Estimated completion time based on current progress, average air humidity in Kuala Lumpur during February and current position of Callisto in relation to NGC 1976: 462 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes, 32 seconds. Possible error margin: +- 462 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes, 32 seconds.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for? BTW, tell IronForge we miss him when you see him :P

Disclaimer: no animals and only a few humans were harmed during making up of all percentages in this thread. Any mentions of IronForge were purely intentional. In case of any side effects please consult your physician.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:34:26 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Using commas in place of a decimal makes baby jesus cry.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

Which is why I do it. Besides some apps I work with prefer it that way :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:53:00 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Priceless  :lol:

Offline Luis Dias

What happens to your maths if you take 500 days to finish the project, newman? Hmm? Will the universe asplode? Or will you just sweep it up under the carpet of "beyond standard deviation"?

Bah, politicians, always over-promising, under-delivering :D

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
> 924 days would be "beyond standard deviation", not > 462. Read the maths again. :P

Offline newman

Will the universe asplode?

Yes.

If I was a politician I wouldn't be part of this team. Diaspora requires people with actual skills.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:04:35 pm by newman »

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft

If I was a politician I wouldn't be part of this team. Diaspora requires people with actual skills.
That was actually funny.

Modeling- 98,5421 % done
Textures -97,4231 % done
Missions - 44,5612 % done
Sound fx - 82,5235 % done
Music -      77,9846 % done
Coding -    0,00024 % done
VA       -    0,00001% done
No need for the extra numbers.Rounded ones will do just fine thanks.Plus im not trying to be a math Nazi but in percentages your supposed to use periods.Not commas.

Offline newman

Also, using periods for decimal places is more of an US system whereas commas are more often used in Europe. Since I'm not from the US or live there, I'm just fine with commas - FraktuRe and FreespacePilot, please keep your math Nazism confined to the US. :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:46:34 pm by newman »

Since I'm not from the US or live there, I'm just fine with commas
Im 99.9% sure that they use decimals in Europe too.

Offline Shade

You're 99.9% correct that some parts of Europe use them that way. You're 99.9% wrong if you think everyone there does. Europe is not one country.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.