Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589343 times)

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
If you decide that at one point in development, all (or a number of) known bugs have to be fixed to make a release it's taking more time as it somewhat interrupts the working process.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Well the releases are buggy as hell anyway and I thought that even during normal development you would have to make a "release" internaly to see if you are going in the right direction, see if the basic things of the game actualy work and play your own game.
So I never thought it would make that much of a differance.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

It's just my personal guess actually with what I've seen here on HLP. Of course you fix things while doing normal development and work continues but if you constantly tell people "OK, drop what you're working on, we need to do these things first so we can throw out another release" it's slowing down everything. O'course you can say it's lightyears difference but CI doesn't seem to be that "professional" when it comes to development either.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
How (un)likely is this still to happen? Decided to read six pages of this thread to do some light reading.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Luis Dias

Regardless of everything else, I have to say I'm impressed by their planet technology. It's far beyond anything else I've seen so far, but of course that is all almost entirely meaningless if it doesn't ship. I hope such tech just doesn't get buried under this mess.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's all a jumble wumble.

:o
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Regardless of everything else, I have to say I'm impressed by their planet technology. It's far beyond anything else I've seen so far, but of course that is all almost entirely meaningless if it doesn't ship. I hope such tech just doesn't get buried under this mess.

Outer Wilds' planet technology is far better change my mind

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
How (un)likely is this still to happen? Decided to read six pages of this thread to do some light reading.

That's a very good question. CIG have been very quiet about SQ42 during most of 2019 and haven't officially acknowledged any further delays yet. At the end of the year they showed this visual teaser, which was basically panning shots of assets without any gameplay, so nobody was very impressed.
People who track the Squadron 42 roadmap noted that progress basically stalled in mid-2019. Now some of the still faithful attributed this to the ongoing lawsuit between CIG and Crytek (as in CIG is deliberately withholding the actual progress of SQ42 for legal reasons), but in latest space court news CIG and Crytek agreed to settle out of court, so that excuse is disappearing.
So it will soon be time for the Crobear to either fess up and admit even more delays, or some wet fart is released in Q2 for all the world to see.

All in all, the entertainment value of the SC drama is winding down. CIG have cut down massively on the amount of weekly youtube shows they put out, so the self-owns are getting rarer. Even the thread on SA is getting slower, since CIG is producing less lulz-material and most people simply moved on.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Luis Dias

Outer Wilds' planet technology is far better change my mind

lol, I actually stan for those dudes, their game is indeed impressive! I haven't played it yet, but I did watch a couple of very good reporting videos on them. I *will* eventually play it, which is a thousand times more of what I'll say for Star Citizen.

Outer Wilds is awesome - possibly my favorite game of all time. (Controversy!)

It's also a game that would be completely ruined by spoilers, so beware!

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
All in all, the entertainment value of the SC drama is winding down. CIG have cut down massively on the amount of weekly youtube shows they put out, so the self-owns are getting rarer. Even the thread on SA is getting slower, since CIG is producing less lulz-material and most people simply moved on.
That's a shame, but I suppose there was no way hope was going to go on indefinitely.
The facepalms and lols I get from reading the folks defending SC throughout the years were fantastic.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
So it will soon be time for the Crobear to either fess up and admit even more delays, or some wet fart is released in Q2 for all the world to see.

It was actually delayed last year to Q3 2020 - https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cxjx3s/squadron_42_beta_has_been_delayed_by_3_months/

What I find more interesting are the feelings of resentment and defeatism amongst the Citizens. There are still plenty of cultists, but the impression I get is that there's a dawning realisation that they've been duped.

The awakening has begun :eek:

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
I won't be completely satisfied until I know what 666maslo666 thinks.

Questionable, I just checked in on the subreddit and they're still huddled around warm cozy walls of text saying that they Just Don't Understand Game Development and in a year or two development will suddenly speed up by an order of magnitude and a finished game will arrive in weeks.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
idc how experienced a dev is, "Alpha" and "Beta" are marketing terms used for demos that the consumers pay for instead of being free in another game. and if by semantics they're not demos they're just a cheaper way to get playtesters, except now they pay you instead you pay them.

Questionable, I just checked in on the subreddit and they're still huddled around warm cozy walls of text saying that they Just Don't Understand Game Development and in a year or two development will suddenly speed up by an order of magnitude and a finished game will arrive in weeks.

Still it's a new decade, and now that the 2010s are over some people will leave the cult, at least those who put "stop getting fooled easily" as goals for the 2020s.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
How long has it been since this whole thing started 🤣🤣
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Just 5 years since the thread started, 7 since the first Alpha release... good things take a while..

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Not quickies.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.