Author Topic: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within  (Read 189819 times)

Re: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Act 0 (DEMO)
*snips*
I'm not really sure what point you were trying to convey other than "the crowd needs to be dispersed", which I'm not really sure why it does. Everyone's excited to see Bryan's mod, and it seems Bryan is fine with the attention (if not necessarily the pressure), what exactly is the problem?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am just afraid, that the whole back and forth has become a spectacle for all the wrong reasons.

"The crowd needs to be dispersed", I choose to express that, considering what I witnessed, it would be good to ensure that all excitement is genuine.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I am just afraid, that the whole back and forth has become a spectacle for all the wrong reasons.

"The crowd needs to be dispersed", I choose to express that, considering what I witnessed, it would be good to ensure that all excitement is genuine.

Yes. Even if one does not individually like what Bryan See is doing, it does not help things to keep snowballing an angry mob. Live and let live, let people be in peace. Rage pressure from an online community can do things to the mind behind the username, in ways we can't see.

BWO was much hyped and never released, despite a lot of hype talk and teasers, and people aren't asking for the heads of the BWO devs.

or are they

Yes. Even if one does not individually like what Bryan See is doing, it does not help things to keep snowballing an angry mob. Live and let live, let people be in peace. Rage pressure from an online community can do things to the mind behind the username, in ways we can't see.
I've seen exactly one person who might be described as "angry" about the direction of Shattered Stars, absolutely everyone else has been anything but, so your comments about "rage pressure" and an "angry mob" are rather bizarre.

ok now not anymore i hope he fixed for real

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I would not say that I saw could be described as "angry" but rather of the "check this out! LOL, right?" variety, which I think to be the wrong kind of attention.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I would not say that I saw could be described as "angry" but rather of the "check this out! LOL, right?" variety, which I think to be the wrong kind of attention.

I could now deliver an impressive list of "check this out! LOL, right?"-events alone in this thread, but I think it's better if I just say that Bryan See managed to recruit an audience for his development efforts. Whether for worse or for better is in the end up to him and depends on what he does with that when he releases the campaign/demo. I could very well now come up with my own failed/permanently on hold projects, I just didn't made the mistake of posting "look, I work on this awesome campaign" at every possibility without having any plan how to get it done.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The most attention to this topic is coming from the "check this out! LOL, right?" factor but not really because of the "marketing" related to this mod which has lead us to some more or less embarrassing events (Mortal Engines Wiki contributions anyone?), but because this thread got funny at some point. Well, it isn't a good type of attention anyway... I think 0rph3u5 is correct, while this was an internal joke of a part of HLP's Discord it wasn't that bad, but it started to bleed into the topic destined to be a discussion of the mod, not jokes, and can be seen by anyone outside HLP or our own newcomers.
Also do note that I'm no less guilty of this than others.
Oh, and @0rph3u5, it actually might have been a better idea to post this on Discord, since this thread is now going to be mostly morality discussion for the next two pages, I think. And some dirt is going to surface.

My point from before still stands, if this demo is any good, I will praise it, and if it isn't, I will attempt to provide constructive criticism (unlike a certain Discord group in relation to a certain big FS mod from a while back). Even when posts in this thread strongly suggest that developement of this mod took a wrong turn at some point.
And now Bryan See has asked for help since there seems he will have problems with meeting his release date. First things first, I want to give you a word of advice: most of us here have worked on a mod at some point and know that it is a hard and time-consuming feat, and none of us actually paid you to release that mod, so we can't really complain. If you moved your release date I think nobody would have problems with that.
As for other ways we could provide help, I myself am not a model/table artist but I could get you some feedback on your missions, plot and narrative. Plus it could be a good idea to get someone to introduce you to Knossos developer functionality, since it seems to work just fine and most of people here use Knossos anyway. As for other stuff, I personally think many people can and would be eager to participate, but we need you to communicate with us, Bryan See, not just spam "Shattered Stars is a continuity of this, with this that and that". It doesn't help anyone when discussing technical issues and stuff. Everyone here knows that already!
For example, BTA's post on pushing the release date back indefinitely is very correct, doing so will only bring good things to your mod.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
It would seem that my selection of a few posts/comments out of context led me to believe that people were rather angry with See. My apologies.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
*snip snip mothertrucker*

I gotta agree with Orph3u5 here.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
/A wild Nyx appears!

...or rather slowly and carefully emerges from the shadows he's hiding in...
[and pretending that he's not here. And pretending that he speak english, lol]

Bryan, I told you once: Before you start a project, rethink it lots of times and decide what do you actually want to make. Make some design doc, write down all the missions scripts, plot ideas etc. While your annoucements looks very promising and even mature, nothing was ever completed and nothing was ever released. Instead what I see is neverending process of reimagining basic assumptions of your projects than restarting progress again and again... And again... What a good FS mod need is not promising annoucements and thousands of shiny ships. It needs serious, and mature commitment in addon of serious base you stick to. Aren't you too pervious for outer influences? You were working on SS, but than you played Trimurti and maybe you realized something like "What I make is not cool! I want to play as shivans! I need to rework everything!". Pardon me this psychoanalysis, but if I'm right, you should never do this again.

Whatever you decide, I hope you will succeed.
14 pages of whatever drew my attention and I see I'm not the only one.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

he gived me fake fix agein

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
It's less than one month before release of the demo. I would like to remind you that, it was originally a project that was meant to be a stealth interquel or sequel to the 2012 Total Recall film. Over time, it grew into a standalone game that do not require FS2 retail.

I started this project four years ago. My original plan was to pit the Galactic Rim Worlds against the Authority over the planet that's ravaged by chemical warfare on a grander scale. I kept changing concepts due to features being developed for FSO, namely SDL2 support, TrueType fonts, PBR rendering, and Unicode support, to name a few.

Then the releases of Trimurti and Inferno: Nostos happened. I had had my eyes opened to how I can create something that's similar to that of Blue Planet, but with the grander scale of Inferno. I saw clearly that the unused assets were one of the main drawbacks. And there's introns used in Blue Planet, something I am not aware of.

Yet, there wasn't anything that made the work mine. The stories and missions always a felt a bit like somebody else's, Volition's in part.

That's when I decided to came up with an epilogue to the FreeSpace saga following Blue Planet. It is set ranging from hundreds to even thousands of years into the future of the FreeSpace universe. The Shivans were always my favourite lately, and they are the reason there was a sequel made to the original FreeSpace. They are the heart and soul, more important than subspace itself.

The first release for Shattered Stars is the demo, Act 0. This demo is a preceding part of the larger campaign. It is strikingly similar to the FreeSpace demos and the Between the Ashes demo, but with campaign branching. One is the capship mission, and the others are the bomber and the fighter with NAV autopilot missions respectively. The capship mission pits the player in the Raguel cruiser (something that Nyctaeus and I made from 2014-16), which features prominently, against hostile targets.

After the release, there will be probably Acts 1 to 5, but it has to do separately.

@Nyctaeus, I believe you. It was my mistake of not rethinking it lots of times and deciding what I want to make before starting a project like this. It was a mistake of not making some design doc, writing down all the missions scripts, and plotting ideas.

The Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within demo will be released December 6, on Knossos.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

if you fixed thd errors first thats why i dont believe you can finish it the campaign theres still one bug you didnt fixed
Error: Can't open model file <hornet.pof>
File: modelread.cpp
Line: 1057

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 162 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20181028_f975edd_x64_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 20 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes
so and read skype bryan see liar

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
One is the capship mission, and the others are the bomber and the fighter with NAV autopilot missions respectively. The capship mission pits the player in the Raguel cruiser (something that Nyctaeus and I made from 2014-16), which features prominently, against hostile targets.

I await this with all the intensity of an intense fire burning intensely.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

The first release for Shattered Stars is the demo, Act 0. This demo is a preceding part of the larger campaign. It is strikingly similar to the FreeSpace demos and the Between the Ashes demo, but with campaign branching. One is the capship mission, and the others are the bomber and the fighter with NAV autopilot missions respectively. The capship mission pits the player in the Raguel cruiser (something that Nyctaeus and I made from 2014-16), which features prominently, against hostile targets.

If you spent the amount of time preaching about your campaign on the forums, on making the actual campaign, maybe I'd actually be excited. But based on what I saw with your accidental release...well...
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*campaign rant*

How many times are you going to repeat yourself? Just curious.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Until campaign is done :p

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Until campaign is done :p
Only the demo, whose release is less than a month from now. Act 1 and beyond are still under planning. Though it was set around the same timeframe as the 2018 Mortal Engines film (1700 to 3000 years from now), I was coy in stating the campaign's setting.

Plus, I've decided to share a screenshot of a WIP UIMS warship.

UIMS Hammerhead from the UGSF series (Galaxian 3, Starblade and Star Ixiom).

It's loosely based on the Star Ixiom version, whose length is 800 m, but doubled. As a result, it's more like a frigate in FreeSpace convention.

That warship may be called the Hammer-head or the Hummer-head or the Hummerhead.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Aesaar

How many missions are done?