Author Topic: Shinemaps development thread [updated weekly!]  (Read 76790 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Shinemaps development thread [updated weakly!]
One time, I got bored and recessed all of the red parts of the mesh in MAX... Looked pretty cool havint the grey bump out like that... :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Metroid: oh my god, get some decent engine trails. Those are teh horror (TM) and wayyyy out-dated. Also get the nebula patch to get rid of the uggggllllyyyyy retail nebulae.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Somehow the green looks cool...

Uhm, Lightspeed, don't be so hard on someone who praises your work ;7

And Metriod, that jpg compression makes everything look uggggllllyyyyy.
;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
What nebula patch?

I have not DLed the your nebs because I couldn't arsed to change each mission but you're telling me there's a patch?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
talking about that last picture?  Yea I know.  That was just to show that the missles suck.

The first 2 were with the shadow build, just to show that shadows still work....  I wish they were an option in the launch like the env thing.

And the compression is just to make the files small, I know the DL people are complaining with anything big.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Originally posted by Liberator
What nebula patch?

I have not DLed the your nebs because I couldn't arsed to change each mission but you're telling me there's a patch?

Yes, Lightspeed made a nebula patch that improved retail nebulas to the relatively same quality as his custom nebulas.

Lightspeeds Downloads

It's the second one from the top :)
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Well, it's not the same quality (BY FAR!), but it's better than the retail ones alright. :)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Psst. Is there anyway to make secondaries render the same way as models? I'm tired of having self-illuminated missiles.

Offline Svizel

• http://165thbdhr.com
Originally posted by Deepblue
Psst. Is there anyway to make secondaries render the same way as models? I'm tired of having self-illuminated missiles.

Umm... I think i'm doing something seriously wrong while playing this game... I think i'm keeping myself way too busy with following objectives or just killing red dots cause i never ever had a chance to closely study how the missiles are modeled/texturized/rendered in the past 3 years... :p
Now seriously... |V| didn't pay much attention to missile models and textures for simple reason... They are way too small and move way too fast in game for anyone to really notice how the hell they look like. Even while shooting down incoming Helios or Cyclops (which i do pretty often) i never had much time to notice anything else than the obvious fact they are basicly cylinder shaped with grey or green color. :)
But what do i know... Maybe i'm really doing something wrong while trying to play it as a game... maybe it really is just a screensaver for watching... :lol:
...but what do i know, i'm just Drunk.
Proud deck swabber of BDHR,
tamed monkey of TeamWars admin team.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Originally posted by Deepblue

What kind of performance hit would it cause, if any?
Usually you don't see much else of missiles than thruster glow and trail, so I at least think that hi-polying and glorifying the missiles would be waste of resources, and remember there are usually scores of them in any battle situation.
lol wtf

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Is LS's stuff not included in the Media VPs?  (I know this new shinemaps arnt, Im talking about the nubla and other things to DL at that food place at the end of the univerise.)
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Svizel

Originally posted by ubermetroid
Is LS's stuff not included in the Media VPs?  (I know this new shinemaps arnt, Im talking about the nubla and other things to DL at that food place at the end of the univerise.)

Nope, it isn't in any of current media vp files.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Janos

What kind of performance hit would it cause, if any?
Usually you don't see much else of missiles than thruster glow and trail, so I at least think that hi-polying and glorifying the missiles would be waste of resources, and remember there are usually scores of them in any battle situation.

In this respect I'm thinking of the missiles mounted on the GOD sat. It's really hard to miss them because each one is about the size of you ship.

Offline Foxer

• TerraNet @ www.FreeSpace.pl
Lightspeed: Can you post list of ships you have done in version shine_1.5 and which is done in 2.0? List like in ReadMe file (history) but not with mapfiles names, but with ship names :). Would be sweet.
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

Offline Svizel

Originally posted by Foxer
Lightspeed: Can you post list of ships you have done in version shine_1.5 and which is done in 2.0? List like in ReadMe file (history) but not with mapfiles names, but with ship names :). Would be sweet.

Most of capital ship textures are shared for more ships so some ships are complete, some are complete partialy and some don't have new textures done at all. If you want to keep track of it i have list of which texture belongs to which ship(s). I'll put it on web as soon as i get home which should be in hour or such so hang on. :)

If i remember corectly i latest release are retexturezed about 2/3 of all fighters, about 1/2 of bombers, almost all cruisers (i think lilith/cain isn't done yet), all cargo containers and few caps (Orion, Lucifer and Typhon). This is just what i can remember and it might not be correct...

Edit:
So here is the texture list... if you find any missing textures or uncorrect info pls let me know and i'll update it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:38:00 am by 1183 »

Offline Foxer

• TerraNet @ www.FreeSpace.pl
Thanks you Svizel, this texture list is all I need :).
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
ello svizel :D
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Lightspeed, are you baking the localized light refractions into your light maps?  If so, how are you going about doing it?

I love the way your light maps appear to glow. I recently discovered "radiosity" in 3dsmax and I'm incorporating its localized light effects created by the various light sources in the model.

Check out my progress and your input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,27007.0.html

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Lightspeed does all of his work by hand IIRC.  He's just got a knack for photoshop or something, but it's mightily impressive.

I left a post in your baking thread too; I'm hardly an expert but it might prove useful.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I'm doing light reflections (well, kind of at least) but yes, I'm doing it all by hand. :)