Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377708 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.7
That idea makes me hesitate slightly. With all the silliness involving new users who can't/won't ready and don't understand basic computer tasks... should we really add something to the installer that makes it seem like FS requires more money?

Yes, I totally understand we can try to make it clear that it's donate only... not required to play.. whatever. Just after the recent influx of players, I'm not exactly filled with confidence that people are even reading or trying to understand anything in the installer.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So we issue a few refunds if anyone complains, that's not impossible.  It's like it's spent as soon as we get it.  I don't think we'll see a huge wave of GOOB STOLE MAH MONIES or something.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think it would be okay if it was included on the final page of the Installer, since that way a first-time user would see that everything had completed successfully without feeling like they need to pay something in order to proceed.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You guys would not last long at my company thinking that way...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Make it link to a thread explaining that's it's only to show appreciation and goes to fund hosting costs. Then they have  to click donate  again if they want.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You guys are wanting to make it way to hard to get what amounts to a combo meal out of people :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It's still easier than it is now, with no mention at all.  :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No asks in the Installer. We need to radiate trustworthiness here. Anything with even a sniff of money on it is going to make people leery. We already suffer attrition on the 'Install Java' step from users who think it's some kind of malware.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Caffeine -  phobic, eh? XD

And I don't think we meant ask, more like a button on the bottom of the final page that you would only notice on the side, not that prominent.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
This stuff looks interesting for avoiding the "perception" of needing to download & install java:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/articles/java-to-exe.html
http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
http://www.excelsiorjet.com/ (zero purchase price license may apply to the installer?)

:)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
With all due respect, I still find it hard to believe that so many people out there didn't have Java installed, or going further, had never even heard of Java.  There are a lot of web apps out there that rely on it, so you'd figure they would have been bugged about not having it at some point in the past.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I can only report my experience providing support during the explosion of the Steam forums. A minority of users reported any trouble with the Java step, but it was flagged a few times.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I saw that too, and that's what I was referring to.  It was the one part of the process that I'd thought would have been fairly issue free.  Though as they say, when you assume...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't think we'll see a huge wave of GOOB STOLE MAH MONIES or something.

You know, the FSO Installer is not bound by the same license restrictions as the SCP.  I would be perfectly justified in including a DONATE button linked to my personal Paypal account. :D

We already suffer attrition on the 'Install Java' step from users who think it's some kind of malware.

You might be able to mitigate that by pointing out that the code is GPL'd and available for anyone to examine.  (Admittedly, that won't convince people who are against Java itself.)

This stuff looks interesting for avoiding the "perception" of needing to download & install java:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/articles/java-to-exe.html
http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
http://www.excelsiorjet.com/ (zero purchase price license may apply to the installer?)

:)

Good investigative work. :yes:  Turey's 2006 installer had an EXE version available that was compiled under Excelsior JET.  I haven't seriously pursued it yet because the installer has had a lot of updates, but one person PMmed me to ask for an EXE.

Offline keiya

Hi! I installed using your installer thingy and then had errors, which were quickly solved by the guys on IRC - I didn't have OpenAL installed. Isn't this installer supposed to take care of that? I attached my log files, in case they're useful... a quick look inside makes me suspect the installer could find it, but FSO couldn't, for some reason.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hi! I installed using your installer thingy and then had errors, which were quickly solved by the guys on IRC - I didn't have OpenAL installed. Isn't this installer supposed to take care of that? I attached my log files, in case they're useful... a quick look inside makes me suspect the installer could find it, but FSO couldn't, for some reason.

Yes, that's what happened.  The Installer was able to load OpenAL, but FSO wasn't.  (The Installer will only ask you to install OpenAL if it can't be found.)

This is somewhat surprising.  Does Windows 8.1 ship with its own version of OpenAL?  Do you know what version of OpenAL you had before you installed the one provided by the folks on IRC?

Offline keiya

I don't know, sorry... but searching my entire hard drive for files named or containing 'openal' turns up a copy of OpenAL32.dll in Dolphin's folder on my desktop, as well as in a few folders under Steam (RailWorks, Unreal Gold, and Psychonauts), one in OpenRA, and a file called OpenALwEAX.exe in C:\UnrealTournament\System\... might one of those be the culprit?

Oh, and the exact error I got was "The procedure entry point alcCaptureStart could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_7_<releventversion>.exe", if that helps.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:26:12 pm by keiya »

fsports are can't download from installer anymore?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't know, sorry... but searching my entire hard drive for files named or containing 'openal' turns up a copy of OpenAL32.dll in Dolphin's folder on my desktop, as well as in a few folders under Steam (RailWorks, Unreal Gold, and Psychonauts), one in OpenRA, and a file called OpenALwEAX.exe in C:\UnrealTournament\System\... might one of those be the culprit?

Oh, and the exact error I got was "The procedure entry point alcCaptureStart could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_7_<releventversion>.exe", if that helps.

Unfortunately I'm not a person who can answer that.  We'd need one of the coders who specializes in OpenAL to check. :blah:

fsports are can't download from installer anymore?

The mirror is probably down.  Wait for a few days and it may come back up.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It seems that bcKq will not be able to provide a Polish translation after all.  Is there another Polish speaker who would be willing to assist?