Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109381 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
I'm running into some weird timing issues with the latest version of Last Hope. I haven't tested it extensively, but it looks like your mission progress is scripted to follow how much of the Shivan attack force has been destroyed, while the pace of the Hope's repairs is determined by the actual mission clock. The mission itself isn't particularly difficult, as it requires no micromanagement (simply tell your wingmen to defend the Hope at the start and they'll take care of themselves from then on), meaning that you can blaze through all of the Shivan attack waves in a relatively short amount of time and meet your relief force long before the Hope has finished its repairs. This does nothing to halt the progress of the campaign or stop you from completing the mission, but it does appear to throw your objectives out of whack, as the "Defend the Hope" objective won't register as being completed.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh, actually, that directive was added for the FSPort - it doesn't exist in the original FS1 mission.  I've fixed it so that it will become true when the goal does, and this fix will appear in the next FSPort release.

The timing is exactly the same as it was in the original mission.  I assume Volition wanted to give a sense of an ongoing repair, even after the attack was over.

Offline AV8R

Is there an approximate date of release for the next FSPort version (3.6?) that will be compatible with the newly released MediaVPs (4.0.x)?

Edit: I'd like to pare down my MediaVP tree be finally being able to delete the 2014 MediaVPs from my drive.  :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I had hoped to get to it over Thanksgiving, but things didn't work out.  I'm pretty booked through the end of the year, unfortunately.  But I'm fairly confident it will be ready by the end of January.

Offline Kenny

Don't take this the wrong way, this isn't a kick in the butt (well, actually, I guess it is!)
Just so you know we're eagerly waiting for the next revision.
Thank you so much for your work!!  :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You're welcome!

Believe me, I'm anxious to get it released too.

Offline Antares

In First Strike, once the disabled and disarmed Taranis's IFF changes to neutral, your wingmen cannot be ordered to defend it.

They can, however, be ordered to destroy it.  :nervous:
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Let me guess, the problem was there since 1998?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Good to know.  I'll look into changing it to friendly IFF and force a purple hud color to fake it for the next release of The Great War: Augmented.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Antares

In First Strike, once the disabled and disarmed Taranis's IFF changes to neutral, your wingmen cannot be ordered to defend it.

They can, however, be ordered to destroy it.  :nervous:
Upon further investigation, this appears to be an engine bug, not a mission bug; the same thing happens with the GTD Repulse in ST:R.

Also, A Failure to Communicate may need some rebalancing. Many of the escape pods are heavily damaged when the station explodes at the start of the mission (something that I seem to recall differs from FS1, but I haven't played it in a long time), which makes them easy pickings for the Shivans; the Basilisks (particularly the second wing) jump in almost on top of the pods and fire their missiles immediately, which all but guarantees that any damaged pods they target will be destroyed. This makes it frustratingly difficult to satisfy the bonus objective for that mission.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That bonus objective was always a pain in the ass, even in retail.  You pretty much have to haul ass toward the Dragons at the start of the mission and one-shot one of them with a dual Phoenix V, while siccing your wingmen on the other.  The Basilisks are rough, but if you take care of the Dragons quickly enough, you can get yourself and your wingmen in position by the escape pods before the first wing of Basilisks arrive.  If you order your wingmen to attack the moment they jump in, you should be able to take care of them just in time.  It took me multiple attempts, but I was able to save all four on Medium during my last Port playthrough.

Offline CT27

Will MJN's new mainhalls be integrated into the new FSPort when it comes out?

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96090.0

If not, how would we go about using them for that?

I think they're supposed to be another Knossos dependency so that mods that don't use FSPort could have them too.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've added events  to make the escape pods invulnerable until the "protect" order is given.

And yes, the next FSPort update will include the new main halls.

Offline Antares

In what is my last quibble (for now  ;)) with this campaign...

In Playing Judas, when the Lilith cruisers jump in, Genma 1 proceeds in a straight line, but Genma 2 pulls a bunch of strange acrobatic maneuvers, wiggling and shimmying all over the place while still headed in the same general direction as Genma 1, like it's trying to shake something off. This behavior may be a holdover from FS1 (I seem to vaguely remember something like this happening), but it looks really odd, and there's no apparent in-mission reason for it to be happening.

Also, I stumbled across an exploit in the same mission. When your scans are complete and you're ordered to try and enter the Lucifer's fighterbay, you can fly just inside the entrance to the bay, kill your engines (the Lucifer will have stopped by then), and wait for your jump drive to fix itself. You'll be totally safe from attack; the Lucifer's shield (which you are inside) absorbs all incoming fire from the Shivan fighters and turrets, so nothing can hurt you. When fighters try to make runs at you, they just clip into the Lucifer and throw themselves out of whack. When your jump drive has been repaired, you can jump right out of the bay and into subspace.  :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We started from the actual FS1 mission files, so most of the idiosyncrasies you are likely to notice are there in the original campaign.  We made a few modifications, such as MVP backgrounds, a few bugfixes, and a few anti-frustration events.  But our intent is for the missions to play as closely as possible to the original.

I'm not sure what could cause the Genma shimmying but the waypoints and positioning of the cruisers are the same as in the original.  Similarly, the fighterbay exploit is also the same as in the original, with the notable difference that the FS1 model didn't have the shield mesh.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't remember the shaking in retail, but one of the cruisers always flew off at an angle.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It could have something to do with Wing mentality when used on cap-ships.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

It could have something to do with Wing mentality when used on cap-ships.

Assigninig Capships to wings is a horrible sin in general. :mad2:

Hey guys, with my sudden "free time" increase, I was just wondering if I should wait on the next FSPort release? I've been out of the game for a while so I don't know if my *glances* Ver 3.5 is worth updating.
My FS2 modding knowledge is an arcane mix of trial, error, and brute force. So I don't want to redo anything if I can avoid it. Was the Apollo ever added?