Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn  (Read 218384 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn
The Aestival's hull does regenerate, but it does so slowly enough that it's not going to tank fire. You have to get out of the way and let it regen.

Spoiler:
The trick to the last mission is remember that you can reverse-thrust almost as fast as you can forward. Keep yourself moving back and forth to mess with the guns, but you don't have to come off-target to do it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
And now, to the end.

THE GOOD

Spoiler:
Did I mention Infi was awesome? It's true.

THE BAD

Spoiler:
SPOOOOON! YOU BROKE INFI!

I have now offically concluded that missiles are useless in this mod.

The last real Infi mission is either betraying a problem with the Ravager's model or Infi's zeroing, as at ranges under six hundred meters they cannot be hit with Infi's guns.

The player starts the final mission of the mod heading towards a collision with the side of the GA's hanger.

The end cutscene ships did weird tumbles before entering subspace.

THE OMGWTFLOL

Spoiler:
Dragon Slave. I c wut u did thar. (Though like all other missiles it's basically useless.) I also c wut u did thar with Infi's teleporter.

The first cutscene for the flagship assault had the anti-fleet turret firing about 120 degrees off-axis from where it was pointed.

I figured Mobile Doll's Eyes would be too good to pass up if something like that happened. :P

Oh hey, Challengers have doors for their guns. I would never have known that if not for the cutscene before the Guardian Angel warps in.

A Feddie Story

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Lol'd at the LSF Rance.

Also: DarkRevenant has been killed by Axem.  :mad: :hopping:

More: And that Star Control II Orz chatter by the motherships...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:43:05 pm by Dark RevenantX »

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
Where are your crack pairings, Nightmare? =o
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoiler:
Where are your crack pairings, Nightmare? =o

Oh yeah.

Let's open with the obvious ones: Dawn x Infi, Cordi Queen x Crystal

Then we move on to "wait they never shared a exchanged line but het is ew": Justice x Scar
(Oh god I've tainted myself. I will now self-terminate in shame.)

And for the finale of this Crack Pairings Theatre, the completely out the bloody window: Crystal's Aesti x Cordi Queen

A Feddie Story

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
My reactions:
Intro: is this Galaxy Angel?
Couple of missions in: this is Galaxy Angel!
Spoiler:
Dawn is rediscovered
: is this Blue Planet?
Spoiler:
New races aplenty!
: this is Blue Planet!
Pilots' Tech Room entries: scratch everything, this is Strike Witches!

Overall: it was awesome! The ship design was really nice, and the effects were eyegasms. Comedy aplenty, and I like that.

My only quarrels against Wings of Dawn were:
The Pilots' Tech Room entries don't have art for the characters that have images. I don't really want to go through the loading screens to take a look (but I can always open the .vps, right?)
Spoiler:
The Flagship navigation mission was a bit tedious
'What are you watching, Jellyfish?' asked my sister during one of the most 'revealing' loading screens. But that was totally my fault.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I haven't even finished it, but the universe you've created is amazing! It's a nice contrast to FS's no-nonsense mood, really lightens it up a bit. I can see why you called the strike force "happy go lucky", coz they really show it! The characters are really good, and also
Spoiler:
it's a nice change to be fighting tons of other species as opposed to just one!

Brilliant work!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline -Norbert-

Spoiler:
The trick to the last mission is remember that you can reverse-thrust almost as fast as you can forward. Keep yourself moving back and forth to mess with the guns, but you don't have to come off-target to do it.
Spoiler:
Once inside the generator room there's no problem, though I used the lateral thrusters at least as much as going back and forward. What cost me a lot of health was flying through that narrow twisting tunnel.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just finished it. Super awesome.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Reading these reviews makes me a happy camper and makes it feel that all that time and effort has not gone to waste
Thanks everyone  :D

And to adress a few things:
Quote from: NGTM-1R
Nordera ships seem to have very low MOI values and are easily pushed around by the player's weapons, particularly when attacked from above or below. I would have expected them to be fairly massive and hard to knock around given what's been said about them.
It's mostly the VX-153 primary and the HEDR-3 secondary that can push opponents around. I can't say I really noticed other weapons being able to push Nordera fighters around.

Spoiler:
The first cutscene for the flagship assault had the anti-fleet turret firing about 120 degrees off-axis from where it was pointed.
Its an oddity that happens on occasions. I dont know whats causing it exactly, some times it points correctly, some times its off.

Spoiler:
The end cutscene ships did weird tumbles before entering subspace.
How is this a bad thing? I thought it looked quite funny  :p

Quote from: Jellyfish
Pilots' Tech Room entries: scratch everything, this is Strike Witches!
You found me out  o:

Quote from: Jellyfish
'What are you watching, Jellyfish?' asked my sister during one of the most 'revealing' loading screens. But that was totally my fault.
  :lol:

Star Controll has been a major inspiration for me, I couldn't resist doing a bit of Orz there :p

Quote from: -Norbert-
Let's get the bad things out of the way first. The mission were you test the Prometheus Frame in a planetary blockade mission crashed twice on me. Then I tried to run it in a Debug build, but got no crash (though the 4 FPS shown on screen were wrong.... 4 SPF - Seconds per Frame - would be more fitting). Anyway after that I tried it again with normal build and it worked
That's odd. But good that it worked out eventually.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
Read this too.

I like it, despite my early problems and hate toward anime cliché i digest it with joy.
Can wait for sequel and more soft and big breasts~
and awww you made me reinstall my old favorite game: Shogo:MAD
Thx ^_^

What if ?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoiler:
The last real Infi mission is either betraying a problem with the Ravager's model or Infi's zeroing, as at ranges under six hundred meters they cannot be hit with Infi's guns.
Spoiler:
Forgot to reply to this. The Ravager model is mostly fine. The shots miss at close range because the prometheus frame is quite large. when a smaller fighter gets up close and personal, its simply out of the firing arc of the gunpoints.

It's good to hear that even someone with a dislike for anime can like WoD, utops :)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Quite enjoying this campaign, you've done an excellent job here Spoon.

Star Controll has been a major inspiration for me, I couldn't resist doing a bit of Orz there :p
I noticed a lot of homages to Star Control, I especially liked that you put some of the music remixes in there.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
What is up with Life of a Test Pilot A? So far on this mod the only times where frames are affected are the immensely large battles, but in this mission I'm doing absolutely nothing and I'm getting five frames, and if the framerate does go up and I switch windows, it goes back to five frames, which is something that has never happened to me on any other mod, or Vanilla / Retail.

Could be the nebula bloom, does have an awful lot of nebulae scattered about.

Otherwise, I'm having fun with it.

Gave me a perfect excuse to use the new Twin-fan cooling thing for my laptop, nice work :)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
No in-depth-review-just-random-points-down turned in-depth review somewhat, again I couldn't be bothered to play on any hard difficulty. Yes yes it probably looks like another diatribe, I know, I'm sorry. :(

Despite the happy-go-lucky nature of the characters and the usual anime things played out (I didn't even know who the main character was until 3-4 missions in, not even a name), towards the end game everything still went back to FS-style dead-serious attitude resulting in... a bit of emotional clash :doubt:

At that point the only thing I found worth doing was just destroying killing things to the point where the
Spoiler:
last mission in the maze
simply became an annoyance. Maybe my attention span is not as long as I thought it was...

I mean, come on, there is all this "ohohohohoho wheee let's blow **** stuff up (read: one mission had "****ers" in it while another cut back on profanity and it kinda felt unnatural, but I won't nitpick that :nervous:) and then party without a formal debriefing =3 XD lol all them emotes yipee TEXTING!!!" and then "omg while we were partying enjoying life otaku mecha toys fandom and people giving out free
Spoiler:
railguns but no paycheck

for the next birthday party involving another 50 enemy kills, nth fleet next door was totally raeped 30 seconds ago today by x alien race we lost 999,999,999,999,999 down all hands zomg commence planetary evacuation now we're so gonna hit back now etc hey look someone wants an alliance"... my reaction was just:

"WTFLOL"
(my lol does NOT equal fail)

Moving on, I felt that some of equipment is almost borderline cheating even for a new universe while other things were downright useless... but would I have it another way? Don't know, and doubt it. Someone did say the player missiles bordered on useless, that I can agree, somehow it's the AI that gets to score hits this time around. And then there was a fighter which practically plays to Loki fanboys even though the firepower sucks - I had more fun flying it than I did trying to fly that pod-racer thing in Blue Planet, although part of the reason is the complex controls of FS overall. Kudos to weapon variety too, but I find it strange - this mod has more types of weapons, yet I really only used two or three guns IIRC.

Mixed reaction to missions lasting up to ten minutes, but at least things didn't lag hard, and apart from some bad flying at least the lower difficulty levels are survivable. There was one mission I forgot which, I got drawn out nearly 8km and I didn't realise it until I had something to the tune of 15-20 frickin weird objects aiming down at me while EVERYONE was camping back at home waiting for ?SOMETHING? to happen... WTF DAMMIT!!! BOOST BOOST BOOST RUN!!!! (oh btw the afterburner sound is nice) :lol: :nervous:

Spoiler:
Time travel plot was interesting but I'm not going to comment on that. And there was one tech entry that drove me up the wall, but I won't say which one.

One last thing, the mission in which you
Spoiler:
crash the imba fighter gunship into the back of the red alien arse (oh btw variable gun convergence was working already? Wow am I slow :lol:)
I wasn't too fond of the button choices but again this is probably an engine limit... nothing else you can really do aside from simply pressing the correct binded buttons.

-----------------------------------------------

Still a fun romp overall, and even with all my ranting above I wouldn't really ask for anything changed. Besides, if whatever I tried turned out the same cheesy way as this, wouldn't things then turn out to be hypocritical?

And some cbanis for Dawn and Crystal remind me of two characters from somewhere... and I think I lost music halfway through the campaign like I did in Blue Planet WiH... also, does the Axem avatar always chase the player? :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
No in-depth-review-just-random-points-down turned in-depth review somewhat, again I couldn't be bothered to play on any hard difficulty. Yes yes it probably looks like another diatribe, I know, I'm sorry. :(

Despite the happy-go-lucky nature of the characters and the usual anime things played out (I didn't even know who the main character was until 3-4 missions in, not even a name), towards the end game everything still went back to FS-style dead-serious attitude resulting in... a bit of emotional clash :doubt:

At that point the only thing I found worth doing was just destroying killing things to the point where the
Spoiler:
last mission in the maze
simply became an annoyance. Maybe my attention span is not as long as I thought it was...

I mean, come on, there is all this "ohohohohoho wheee let's blow **** stuff up (read: one mission had "****ers" in it while another cut back on profanity and it kinda felt unnatural, but I won't nitpick that :nervous:) and then party without a formal debriefing =3 XD lol all them emotes yipee TEXTING!!!" and then "omg while we were partying enjoying life otaku mecha toys fandom and people giving out free
Spoiler:
railguns but no paycheck

for the next birthday party involving another 50 enemy kills, nth fleet next door was totally raeped 30 seconds ago today by x alien race we lost 999,999,999,999,999 down all hands zomg commence planetary evacuation now we're so gonna hit back now

To be fair, that's very much an anime thing. Careening between light-hearted happy-go-lucky and crashing occasionally into dead, super seriousness. The point being that things are so bad it's even damped down on their usually high spirits.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
[21:25:02] * Spoon checks HLP again
[21:25:08] <Spoon> *still no new posts*
[21:25:12] <Spoon> come on now...
[21:25:17] <@Axem> for what
[21:25:37] <Spoon> my release thread of course, this is getting more then just a bit depressing

Here is a new post.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
WoD-visual

Interface

Crystal steam.jpg
Dawn&misuzu.jpg

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.