Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn  (Read 219617 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Yes, the HEDR is also the only missile I ever found useful since it was the only missile I could reliably get to hit my target. It didn't help that there were so many different missiles I never got to fully play around with any particular ones, since the newer ones would likely be more powerful. The swarm missiles follow either an incredibly wide corkscrew or an extremely erratic +swarm path. Normally, I'm used to getting close behind my targets to make sure my missiles hit, but here if I'm close at all I know they won't hit because they all fly off on weird angles to begin with. If I increase distance, it's easier for my target to dodge the slow-turning missiles and/or they all fly off on random targets.

I would like a Harpoon equivalent, certainly- but I'd really like the many, many Hornet equivalents to be reliable. Again, the only missile I could accurately rely on to hit my target is the dumbfire HEDR.

I'm not disputing the fact that your missiles are likely very powerful if you can get them to hit smaller targets. It's just that whenever I saw that happen it was due to [pseudo]random chance.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
There was a harpoon like missile, the first one you get to use.
It's quite effective when used on double fire mode.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Quote from: NGTM-1R
Yes because all of us using Harpoons are horrible people your honor. :p Get with the program!
Its not my fault you people want to use an inferior missile that hardly hits anything  :p
I hit a hell of a lot more targets with Harpoons than I do Tempests, and I'm sure the same is true for NGTM-1R. :p

(Dammit, still need to play this.  WiH overloaded my FS2 faculties for a good week or so.)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
My kill count increased dramatically using Tempests only compared to using Harpoons. :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Let's end this FS2 Harpoon VS Tempest discussion here shall we...?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I have to say that the last mission was fun, but I couldn't beat it. At all. I couldn't find Generator C anywhere!

Make the colors a little less saturated please. It makes it difficult to see!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Cordi reactor mission was tons of fun. I had several blasts playing it.  :lol:

I must admit, I don't really like anime stuff all that much, but the infinity missions were awesome. I've never had permission from freespace to go absolutely nuts before, and to be able to do so meant I got to go BWA HA HA! DIE DIE DIE UNTIL YOU'RE DEAD!!!!!!! YAHAHAHAHA   :nervous: Am I crazy?  :nod:
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Its not my fault you people want to use an inferior missile that hardly hits anything  :p

Consider the way I use the Harpoon is completely fire-and-forget and I almost never have to turn back to deal with a target again (I am utterly drawing a blank for an occasion I did), I think you're playing FS1 with Interceptors. :P

The mission after that has a few excellent cases to show it off though

Yes, after we've watched a double strike knock a Bombadier down to 60% and given up on them as Yet Another Useless Missile.

(Also, Ravagers. Don't engage them with missiles. It doesn't work. )

The DASM-1 is exactly that, a spammable missile that helps nail hard targets.

The problem is, nobody loves a Rockeye clone in SP.

The HEDR-3 deals an absurd 250(+40 shockwave) damage to both shields and hull and will knock a Nordera off course (and thus, it is spending its time Not shooting you :P ).

You don't fight them head-to-head anyways, so they're already not shooting at you, and your primaries dispose of them more efficently. (That was one of the things about the campaign I actually rather enjoyed, the lack of gratitous head-to-head-trade-shields-for-kills business.) Like all missiles it's wasted space fighting them; you reserve your missiles for other targets anyways.

When dual fired (4 rockets) and all missiles hit the target, it deals over 2000 damage (which is the total of a Zy fighter's shield) on a target which is not Nordera. It also has a higher velocity than the FS2 tempest.

So? You're never going to hit a Zy fighter with all four. The only effective multiple-fire missile in the mod is Infi's heavy swarmer, and even that goes bad when it suddenly starts deciding to ignore boresight targets.

The Dragonslave (you all see what I did thar :p ) only deals 10% of its damage to you and your allies, shooting one in close range is not that bad of an idea really.

Well that's great, but how's the player supposed to know it? :P You didn't mention that in its operational intro or anything, and most of us probably fired one, saw the huge shockwave, and decided it was bad idea.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

I have to say that the last mission was fun, but I couldn't beat it. At all. I couldn't find Generator C anywhere!
Why didn't you just target the Flagship and switch through it's subsystems?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Make the colors a little less saturated please. It makes it difficult to see!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Cordi reactor mission was tons of fun. I had several blasts playing it.  :lol:

I must admit, I don't really like anime stuff all that much, but the infinity missions were awesome. I've never had permission from freespace to go absolutely nuts before, and to be able to do so meant I got to go BWA HA HA! DIE DIE DIE UNTIL YOU'RE DEAD!!!!!!! YAHAHAHAHA   :nervous: Am I crazy?  :nod:
You can either target the flagship and hit S a few times to target the reactors. Or follow the waypoints (Which are hotkey'd to F12). After you destroy the first two reactors, a new marker shows up to guide you to the last reactor.

And no, you are probably not crazy :p
Good to see you enjoyed it  :nod:

The problem is, nobody loves a Rockeye clone in SP.
1. a 'clone' you say? It's hardly alike >_>
2. 'Nobody', is you and the other two people that don't like the missiles?  :p

So? You're never going to hit a Zy fighter with all four.
Are you speaking for everyone again? :p

Well that's great, but how's the player supposed to know it?
It's one of those things I'd kinda expect the player to find out. I mean, it should be obvious soon enough when one of your wingmen fires one at a target near you (which happens far more then it should :p ) and you don't immediately turn into a fireball because of it. Or if you just fire one in close range. And would you rather have a line in a briefing saying "Yeah we got those missiles, big boom but don't worry. It has a smart explosion that avoids damaging friendly targets because of magic"?  :p
Or do you want me to assume that every player is a mindless sheep from here on? Everyone one of them afraid to try out things on their own. I'll take them by the hand and explain in detail what kind of weapon combinations are effective against what. And three training missions in which you will be told how to use your missiles.
Urutorahappī!!

Thanks for the assist for that last mission, Spoon. I'll try later. Full review now!

The mod itself is nice. I frowned a bit at some of the reused models, but not enough to detract from the enjoyment of the mod all that much.

Story: The story is stock. All been done before. The thing is that none of its been done before in Freespace 2. The mod was a great big experiment, to find a new way to get the plot across. There are a few tropes as per usual with this sort of story all of which are covered by TVTropes, but for an anime style game, it was fun. The custom fighter really made me feel like a worthy ace (and really, when its mentioned that Misuzu isn't paid, she gets to keep the fighter. How's that for payment?!) who deserved it. (For the record, the E was nigh-uncontrollable to me, and the W wasn't too bad. I picked the W) Typos were kept to a minimum, but there was at least one in every mission ("mission" being briefing, in-mission dialogue, and debriefing.)

Gameplay: Enemy forces were nice and varied, though I'm a tad disappointed that
Spoiler:
the Abyss research team took their sweet time getting the EFFING SUPERWEAPON to the field of battle
Each race pissed me off in their own unique way. The Cordi wouldn't stay still, the Nordera wouldn't die, and when they did, it hurt a lot. The Fura'ngle had a lot of bullets, the Zy had a little of everything, and don't even get me started on the Hertak. They had a lot of everything. Thank god for the Infinity Light Fighter.

Graphics: The graphics are shiny, colorful, and everything except realistic which is fine. Angles on Terran and Nordera ships made them seem low-tech, that assault fighter needs less spikes, and I could swear that I could make the Pillager in Spore if I really tried. The shapes of the capital ships seemed a bit generic all around, sadly, and I never did see a Knight or anything other than a Cyrva MWPS (nor do any other Cyrvan ship models exist) which was disappointing.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:36:52 am by Inglonias »

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Hello friends,

I get a reproducible crash always in the 2nd mission after 2 minutes regardless of using any fs2_open-3.6.12 build under Lucid Lynx Ubuntu 64 bit. Error message is

Floating Point exception.

Any ideas?

Post a debug log. Maybe we can help you.

Question: What do the lyrics in the theme song mean, and were they made for Wings of Dawn?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
1. a 'clone' you say? It's hardly alike >_>

I gotta spam ten of them out to kill something. That's pretty Rockeye-like. Hell, probably worse.

2. 'Nobody', is you and the other two people that don't like the missiles?  :p

Yes, because so many people have posted to support the missiles. :P I'm pretty sure we're ahead.

Are you speaking for everyone again? :p

It ain't rocket science. Your fighters are much more free with their evasion and decoys. They present smaller targets than FS fighters and engagement ranges in a dogfight are shorter so target movement is exaggerated. I could go on with why this is a perfectly logical idea if you like?

I mean, that's before I take into account my own personal experience.

It's one of those things I'd kinda expect the player to find out. I mean, it should be obvious soon enough when one of your wingmen fires one at a target near you (which happens far more then it should :p ) and you don't immediately turn into a fireball because of it. Or if you just fire one in close range.

It's a heavy missile, like a Treb. You think I'm going to preserve them until after the merge intentionally, or try to fire them after the merge if I have any other option? I don't even think my wingmen have them in their loadouts. Certainly they never fired them.

And would you rather have a line in a briefing saying "Yeah we got those missiles, big boom but don't worry. It has a smart explosion that avoids damaging friendly targets because of magic"?  :p

I hate to tell you, but you wouldn't be the first to invoke that line. And it doesn't have to be magic; it's a smart bomb, it has a number of shaped charges wrapped around the middle, it controls detonation to mimize damage to friendly units. It took me three seconds to describe a workable method of saying "hey this thing won't hurt you" and you're up here acting like it's impossible. It's not my fault you couldn't put in the three seconds! :P

Or do you want me to assume that every player is a mindless sheep from here on? Everyone one of them afraid to try out things on their own. I'll take them by the hand and explain in detail what kind of weapon combinations are effective against what. And three training missions in which you will be told how to use your missiles.

Now you're attacking straw men. You could at least pretend to be arguing with my actual point.

90% is a hell of a lot of damage to take off a weapon when it hits. It would be worthy of mention.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think the missiles were fine.

I liked the spammy aspect missiles, as long as I use them on the right targets (not Nordera).
I really like the multi-target, heat-seeking swarm missiles; it's nice to point at an approaching swarm of Cordi, fire a few linked volleys, and know that many of the enemy will explode.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In case it wasn't obvious, 95% of the missiles are kinetic. (CSA ones being the exception)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm... just thought of something:
Spoiler:
Why were there anti-jump terrorists? Seems like an odd thing to be against - unless they're like BP's Gefs or something.

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe they thought that Humanity was too immature to be allowed to rampage around the galaxy. Not that far off a guess considering the kind of government on Earth during the time of that mission.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Its a group of people that is scared out of their pants that humanity will trigger the attention of all sorts of bad things that might be lurking outside of Sol. At the same time it was a gesture toward the UEF "Why don't you guys fix the **** going in Sol first before trying to go some place else?" Of course a failed one, since they didn't manage to prevent anything from happening.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Whoa, we totally have mad intertextuality here, man.  :eek2: